Gen III Yamaha mirror mounted handguard photos (2013 FJR)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mingo

Reaction score
Yamaha Canada has a Priority Delivery Program on the 2013 FJR. Place a deposit by Dec. 31 and receive $500 in bonus Yamaha accessories. I'd rather have the cash to buy what farkles I want, but I had to use the credit, so I ordered the Yamaha engine sliders and mirror mounted color matched handguards. I thought I'd post pics of the handguards here in case someone else is interested in getting them.

i-qgTKHs6-M.jpg

The mirror shell reaches to the base of the mirror pivot, but still allows the mirror to fold in either direction for storing the bike in tight spaces.

i-rjtjDWm-L.jpg

The black portion does sit flush with the mirror, but I just couldn't hold it in place long enough to take a pic..

i-9SsfWDz-XL.jpg

So I put on my bmw painting sweatshirt (isn't it great to have time off during the holidays to work on my "honey do" list?!!
smile.png
) and tried again:

i-pr7FRZN-XL.jpg

The handard is held in place by attaching the black part with the supplied self tapping screws that compress the mirror cover and holds it in place. If I end up keeping these handguards, I will try to install a small convex blindspot mirror on the black surface. I will try a round convex mirror instead of the one below:

i-Ddrvs6K-L.jpg

Naked mirror:

i-hBbpJqX-L.jpg

The black part does sit tight and flush, unlike what you see in the pic below.

i-9SsfWDz-L.jpg

Overall, I think it looks better in person than it does in pics.. It doesn't look quite so bulky when viewed overall with the bike.

I don't know how well they work as handguards and will have to try them when I'm back on two wheels in March, or I might just sell them and mount Vstrom handguards.

NIce look, they come standard on the Goverment Bike in Australia & they look good , they work well as a handguard

cheers from downunder.

Can you post a Picture from the front of the bike to see what they lool like. Curious minds want to know. Cost $$$ ?

I see you also drink the Kool aid.
grin.gif

i-pr7FRZN-XL.jpg

Nice Farkle!

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the MSRP on these is $244.

I tried to take a pic from the front, but the bike is too close to the wall and at the moment, I can't move it around as there's a SuperTenere parked a foot away. I will do so in March when I'm back on the road.

I will ride with with perforated summer gloves with and without the guards and see if they are effective.

Used to be a bmw rider because it was the only dealer that permitted test rides of any bike I wanted to try. I had to buy the FJR and SuperTenere like buying a piece of furniture; sit on it in the store.. no test rides allowed.

I can't take them back, they were free from Yamaha. Fugly maybe, but functional? We'll see. I will do Vstrom handguards.

Hey Mingo, is the FJR1300AS available in Canada?
No. The yamaha rep said they may bring in the electronic suspension version in 2014 but without the auto clutch and that was a big maybe. For me, as a former bmw K1600 owner, less is more. If both were available now, I would have opted for the "basic" manual adjustment suspension.

Just what am I supposed to be guarding my hands from anyway...or is this a style thing? It's not like I'm taking the FJR off-road.

Wait until you get a bug or a rock hit the back of your hand at freeway speeds you will know then.....Or it could just be because of the cold air on the back of your hands...

You pick..

although Mingo's hand guards will guard again a small mini van......

R

Last edited by a moderator:
Just what am I supposed to be guarding my hands from anyway...or is this a style thing? It's not like I'm taking the FJR off-road.
Some of us ride in very cold weather and any amount of blocked wind makes a big difference in warmth. I have the Vstrom guards on my 07 FJR and they really help the heated grips do their job of keeping my hands warm.

I do question the effectiveness of these fancy Yamaha guards though. They are much further away from the grips than Vstrom guards and I can see lots of wind still sneaking back to the hands around these guards. Would be interesting to hear from someone who's tried both.