Gen1 Clutch Lever Maintenance?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zombification!

My clutch acted like very incomplete disengagement. No slipping, just a tough time finding neutral when I'm stopped, or pushing the bike while in gear. This was suddenly, not gradual. Just one time it was very poor disengagement.

I bled the hydraulics, no change. Popped the cover and pulled the discs, nothing wrong there. Took the lever off...... Uh...... well, shit!

The bushing is not only completely pierced, it has punched into the lever behind the bushing. I'm thinking that's when I noticed the symptoms.
weirdsmiley.gif

DSC_2124.jpg

So the bike is parked until the bushing arrives, and this is what I'm getting around in.........

Car%252050th-f8.jpg

It's not so bad.... A/C works, power everything works, but 15 mpg!!!!! Geez!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Zombification!

My clutch acted like very incomplete disengagement. No slipping, just a tough time finding neutral when I'm stopped, or pushing the bike while in gear. This was suddenly, not gradual. Just one time it was very poor disengagement.

I bled the hydraulics, no change. Popped the cover and pulled the discs, nothing wrong there. Took the lever off...... Uh...... well, shit!

The bushing is not only completely pierced, it has punched into the lever behind the bushing. I'm thinking that's when I noticed the symptoms.
weirdsmiley.gif

DSC_2124.jpg

So the bike is parked until the bushing arrives, and this is what I'm getting around in.........

Car%252050th-f8.jpg

It's not so bad.... A/C works, power everything works,?? but 15 mpg!!!!! Geez!!!!
You better stay home when it's dark out...
blush2.gif
and that clutch lever should work better after the fix.

Yeah, I've already had a warning about the lights, so I'm in the system... another stop will be a ticket. But even with just one side, it lights the road better than my work car, a 2000 Cavalier.

But I had a better idea. I drilled another hole across the bushing, but not all the way through the bushing, and reinstalled it so I can at least ride the bike until the new part arrives. And yes, the clutch works GOBS better!!!!

Zombification!

weirdsmiley.gif

DSC_2124.jpg

Car%252050th-f8.jpg

It's not so bad.... A/C works, power everything works, but 15 mpg!!!!! Geez!!!!
Two things Wfooshee.

1. Your clutch lever; you should know better than that.
bleh.gif

2. Do really need A/C in Florida this time of year? :unsure:

Your clutch should feel like new when you install your bushing. Enjoy and ride safe. ;)

Wow, thanks for the photo. When I did mine last week, I noted grit, lack of grease, and some wear on the bushing ... But nowhere near that much. Gosh, maybe I'll wait for a while and order one when I need some other parts.

You can save some money and buy the Suzuki part. It is identical and costs less. I was told "ALL" the Japanese bikes use the same part for the clutch, if they have hydraulic clutches. My buddy is the service manager in a Yamaha/Suzuki shop and turned me onto this. They carry a bunch of them just for this reason.