Gen1 Vs Gen2 And Why

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which did you like better GenI or GenII?

• GenI

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • GenII

Votes: 36 65.5%

• Total voters
I have an 05 ABS with 37,000 miles and it has been a great bike. The only compliant I have had with it is some engine vibration at certain rpm ranges. I also have a 08 with 18,000 miles and it has been an even better bike. More refined, smoother engine, and great heat management. When you compare the two bikes the individual differences are small but I can't think of a single category where the 05 beats the 08 and when you compare the entire package the 08 is a significant improvement.

Since my Good Friend FJRBluesman posted this last Saturday, your Papa Chuy Viejo has had to patiently wait an entire week before presenting a valid response on today's dog-pile Friday; but here is my statement on Reply to Gen1 Vs Gen2 and Why:

As every responsible, competent and mature Gen1 FJR Owner/Rider knows full well: Anyone that would ride a Gen2 Yamaha FJR 1300 could not have had much of a Mother and is probably as queer as a three dollar bill! jes' sayin' Thank God it's Friday!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since my Good Friend FJRBluesman posted this last Saturday, your Papa Chuy Viejo has had to patiently wait an entire week before presenting a valid response on today's dog-pile Friday; but here is my statement on Reply to Gen1 Vs Gen2 and Why:

As every responsible, competent and mature Gen1 FJR Owner/Rider knows full well: Anyone that would ride a Gen2 Yamaha FJR 1300 could not have had much of a Mother and is probably as queer as a three dollar bill! jes' sayin' Thank God it's Friday!
I concur...This thread is simply GHEY Gen 1's just "have it"...

Hey Simon? :****:

:jester:

Last edited by a moderator:
RadioHowie, are you paying attention to this poll? I rest my case. :rolleyes:

Nahh, Nahh, Nah Nah, Nahhhhhh!! :blum: :close_tema:
majicmaker, RadioHowie has not had time to look at this poll today. His copy of MILF arrived yesterday, for RH that would be Manatees That I Would Like To ****! He is still whacking off to the manatee pictures. jes' sayin' Thank Goodness, it's Friday!!!

majicmaker, RadioHowie has not had time to look at this poll today. His copy of MILF arrived yesterday, for RH that would be Manatees That I Would Like To ****! He is still whacking off to the manatee pictures. jes' sayin' Thank Goodness, it's Friday!!!
It's Friday and it's Football Season so, He's probably gearing up to broadcast tonight's game. :headsetsmiley: But, your theory is completely plausible! :dribble: :puke:

I can see him polishing the head of his Microphone Now! Ewwwwwwwwwww :eek:

It's Friday and it's Football Season so, He's probably gearing up to broadcast tonight's game. :headsetsmiley: But, your theory is completely plausible! :dribble: :puke:

I can see him polishing the head of his Microphone Now! Ewwwwwwwwwww :eek:

Well majicmaker, with our RadioHowie: At least it's a Miniature Microphone!!!

Well, I thought it's bought time to update this topic.

After much unscientific data gathering from the peeps of this here forum, all ya'll have come to these conclusions regarding why they like the GenII mo betta than the GenI

At this writing, a total of 40 votes were cast. 14 votes (35%) were for the GenI and 26 votes (65%) for the GenII. I'm not sure if some patrons just hit the voting buttons and left no comment because just about everyone preferred their GenII over the GenI for some reasons listed below.

Reasons why the owners/riders of both GenI and GenII's prefer the GenII (top 2 listed):

1) The most mentioned thing was the correction of the heat issue.

2) ABS standard on the bike.

Refinement of the bike in general was also a good thing, little things that the GenII improved upon that you really got to like.

Jeff Asche had some good points regarding the difference in front suspensions, both have pluses and minuses, but Jeff preferred the GenII. He said the suspension overall was a great asset to the bike. He also mention the GenII has more stator power.

Some things the GenI did better than the GenII:

Better power, acceleration, and handling in tight twisties (Note: Someone commented that the GenII felt better on faster big sweepers).

My conclusion is all ya'll GenII peeps are just plain silly, but that's pretty biased so I'll throw that out from our unscientific stats.

Thanks all for your honest answers.

The heat redesign, better instrument layout (doesn't look so old), longer swingarm (who wants to wheelie a bike like the fjr?), better passenger accommodations, better seat, better resale (around here gen1's just don't move), lack of "tickers", standard abs, better suspension and much better stator (2up this is a concern)

In exchange you put up with a new ignition, grounding harness, ecu for altitude, power commander (maybe) which all cost about $350 and some time in the garage. The gen 1 was more expensive to fix "problems" or diden't even have solutions to the problems.

Compared to other bike specific forums I'm surprised so many people stand up for the gen1 bikes. Aside from a very marginal power gain, and slightly shorter swingarm what does it have? It seems with the resale its not really as popular at least when I was researching.

I just voted for a Gen II and I ride a Gen I. If someone was willing to trade their 06, 08 or 09 straight across, equally farkled then I would prefer one of those. However, the difference is not enough to pay for. My bike does 95% of what any sport/tourer made does and I won't change until this one is worn our or something better comes along.

But the K1600 bemmer sounds intriging.

Have owned both a 2005 non-abs and an 06 AE. without a doubt the 05 was the least troublesome bike compared to the AE which I still own but it has been plagued by electrical problems(Igntion switches and ground spider problems resulting in a warranty change of the main electrical harness) Both bikes have 50k+ mileage and the best part of the AE is linked ABS braking. No problems with electronic control clutch on AE but do prefer the clutch lever. Both have been employed in LDRs and performed very well.