Gen3 throttle cable lubing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlfunk

Reaction score
My 2016 throttle has been feeling a tiny bit lumpy recently and the throttle response a little jerkier than I remember. I figured since I've never lubed the throttle cables this would be an obvious place to start. I pulled apart the handlebar throttle cable housing and found that each cable end passes through a curved rigid plastic tube before attaching the throttle grip. I can't see how a cable lubing tool (like the Motion Pro one) will work here, so do people drop oil into the slot under the curved plastic tube where the cable passes?

My 2016 throttle has been feeling a tiny bit lumpy recently and the throttle response a little jerkier than I remember. I figured since I've never lubed the throttle cables this would be an obvious place to start. I pulled apart the handlebar throttle cable housing and found that each cable end passes through a curved rigid plastic tube before attaching the throttle grip. I can't see how a cable lubing tool (like the Motion Pro one) will work here, so do people drop oil into the slot under the curved plastic tube where the cable passes?
Cables don't generally need lubing. Might want to clean up the throttle tube if it seems sticky. Other than that, make sure you have a bit of free play - tends to bind if too tight.

Cables don't generally need lubing. Might want to clean up the throttle tube if it seems sticky. Other than that, make sure you have a bit of free play - tends to bind if too tight.
I disagree, all cables need lubing. I've had a couple break over the years, and I had to replace my '07 cables due to breakage from lack of lube.

The OP is correct- the Motion Pro clamp thingee won't fit. I just put a drop or two of lube at the entrance of each cable while pushing and pulling the cable in and out. A little dab'll do ya- if you load it down the oil will run out the bottom, collect dust and gum things up.

Cable Lube.png

Never lubed a cable on my '07 and never had an issue in 295,000 km. YMMV.
Probably should have...

Edit: Correction, I looked back and DID lube my '07 cables a couple of times - when doing valve checks. Did the 2011 once and will do it again the next time I check those valves.

Last edited:
Not to say it isnt lube -
Any work done to around top of engine recently?
Make sure throttle cables (6,7 below) are routed properly.

Thru the frame, @D, thru the guide @T.
IMG_3606.png
-Steve

Never lubed a cable on my '07 and never had an issue in 295,000 km. YMMV.
Probably should have...

Edit: Correction, I looked back and DID lube my '07 cables a couple of times - when doing valve checks. Did the 2011 once and will do it again the next time I check those valves.
Typically when I lubed mine as well since I always disconnect the cables at the throttle to get them out of the way of the valve cover.