Generator Cover

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbird

Reaction score
Bad things this afternoon. Co-worker, friend, and fellow rider (Harley) backed his truck into the right side of my FJR.

It fell over onto the left side. Windscreen hit a sign and popped all the plastic screws and came off. The ONLY other

damage is some scrape-age to the generator cover. Absolutely NOTHING else shows any, I mean any, damage

(I had the bags off). I am amazed...not even the slider has a mark on it!

I'll be calling Gary at Modock in ND Monday...but have any of you replaced the generator cover? How much did it set you back?

I'm not a carbon fiber lover (shocking)...so I'd rather replace it than cover it up.

Thanks!

The part>>>3P6-15411-00-00 COVER, CRANKCASE 1

That's MSRP. Price here is $70.52, which is about the lowest I have seen anywhere:

Linky

But not as low as $61.11 (use Parts Finder):

More Linky

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably unnecessary to say, but do remember to order a new gasket. Also, you will need some type of automotive grade RTV to seal the rubber grommet that the stator wires pass through. Be sure the grommet area is clean and dry before applying the goop, ideally it should have 24 hrs to cure before running the engine. The RTV that is specified in the FSM is nothing more that a run of the mill oil compatible black RTV. Failure to do a good job will always be rewarded with an annoying oil leak.

Bad things this afternoon. Co-worker, friend, and fellow rider (Harley) backed his truck into the right side of my FJR.It fell over onto the left side. Windscreen hit a sign and popped all the plastic screws and came off. The ONLY other

damage is some scrape-age to the generator cover. Absolutely NOTHING else shows any, I mean any, damage

(I had the bags off). I am amazed...not even the slider has a mark on it!

I'll be calling Gary at Modock in ND Monday...but have any of you replaced the generator cover? How much did it set you back?

I'm not a carbon fiber lover (shocking)...so I'd rather replace it than cover it up.

Thanks!

The part>>>3P6-15411-00-00 COVER, CRANKCASE 1
Mine also tipped over on its left side on asphalt. The bags were on. That tip over did $2,309.84 in damages with the most expensive items being the left saddle bag at $621.99 and the left muffler at $681.99. Alternator cover was also scratched. Price for that is $96.99. Total cost of the knockover including labor, shop supplies, and sales tax is $2,841.27. A set of frame sliders have been ordered to prevent this from being this expensive again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably unnecessary to say, but do remember to order a new gasket.
Yep...ordered the gasket too!

Mine also tipped over on its left side on asphalt. The bags were on. That tip over did $2,309.84 in damages with the most expensive items being the left saddle bag at $621.99 and the left muffler at $681.99. Alternator cover was also scratched. Price for that is $96.99. Total cost of the knockover including labor, shop supplies, and sales tax is $2,841.27. A set of frame sliders have been ordered to prevent this from being this expensive again.
You guys have GOT to get your parts through Gary McCoy at Mondak. He beats everybody's prices EASY! A great guy to work with too (I only know him from placing two separate orders). Just email a list of part numbers to him at [email protected] and he'll email back to you an itemized invoice showing you the cost. Then just call him up with your CC#.

My co-worker...who backed his truck into my bike...knocking it off the center stand is getting off easy. It's only gonna run him about $450.

Cee Bailey windscreen - $225

Windscreen plastic "W"

7 plastic windscreen screws

Rt side faring vent (hit and creased by bumper of truck)

Generator cover and gasket

New faring stripe kit (to re-stripe the vent)

I had the bags off and the bike landed on a cactus softening the blow.

For those of us who have the carbon fiber covers, we were more interested in being out in the middle of nowhere and still be able to ride home. If the scratch to the Yamaha cover is very minor and replacing it is more cosmetic, then $62 isn't a bad price. If you're riding on HWY 50 through Nevada and some drunk cager or other wildlife causes you to lay the bike down on the left side, the carbon will keep the stator cover from being destroyed. You'll still be able to ride to Sparks, NV for repairs instead of being near Austin, NV hoping the pay phone works (cuz you're mobile might not).

Just sayin' :)