GenIIs down in power ?? Fit and finish ??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoneman91

Reaction score
Aurora,Colorado --Rocky Mt motorcycle heaven
I just got my 07 FJR-A several days ago. What a wonderful bike!! I finally found a bike that has a combination of performance and weather protection that I have been waiting to find for the last 20 years !!

As a new FJR owner --I have some questions:

Are GenII down in power compared to the GenI?? I read that the GenII has four cats and passes the EU3 emissions limits. I havent seen that many quarter mile times for the IIs Nor have I seen rear wheel horsepower tests for IIs. Do the GenIs have four cats also??

The fit and finsh of my 07 is perfect--with the exception of how the two panels that meet together under the speedometer dont mate very well--there is a quarter inch gap. I am going to remove the right hand panel and see if I can get the two to male together better. Anyone else have this problem on 06/07s??

Gen II engine power is essentially the same as Gen I. Gen II has more weight, different gearing, different swing arm and certainly different ECU programming. This will effect the way that the power is delivered, but by WOT the HP & TQ are the same as Gen I. The effect of cats and the O2 sensor are non-existent -- same HP and TQ as Gen I.

Can't speak to fit & finish.

Relax :) Go for a ride B)

Nah, I heard the Gen II's were down like 10-15hp, and like 30ft/lbs of torque. They basically took that detuned French engine and stuck it in all the Gen II's....

:p

Nah, I heard the Gen II's were down like 10-15hp, and like 30ft/lbs of torque. They basically took that detuned French engine and stuck it in all the Gen II's....

Yeah, that's what I was told by Yamaki Tokuna from Yamaha.

:rolleyes:
I was looking a little more closely at Chips' '07 today. The dash panels under the speedometer cluster are a little different than the '06s. They use the push pin fasteners where the '06 uses screws (that are a BITCH to get in and out), and I think they're located slightly different than the 06s.

I just got my 07 FJR-A several days ago. What a wonderful bike!! I finally found a bike that has a combination of performance and weather protection that I have been waiting to find for the last 20 years !!

Are GenII down in power compared to the GenI?? I read that the GenII has four cats and passes the EU3 emissions limits. I havent seen that many quarter mile times for the IIs Nor have I seen rear wheel horsepower tests for IIs. Do the GenIs have four cats also??

The fit and finsh of my 07 is perfect--with the exception of how the two panels that meet together under the speedometer dont mate very well--there is a quarter inch gap. I am going to remove the right hand panel and see if I can get the two to male together better. Anyone else have this problem on 06/07s??
Have the same misalignment on the lower piece under the speedo too. I've been thinking about pulling the panel and trying to see if I can get them together. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with that assembly snafu.

AZ

From a somewhat unscientific test a couple months ago, the roll on performance of my '06 compared to a buddies '05 is identical. We tested both 4th and 5th gear from 65 up to somewhat illegal speeds and the bikes were basically side by side. It all depended on who "jumped" the throttle fastest was the one that got the lead.

--G

Have the same misalignment on the lower piece under the speedo too. I've been thinking about pulling the panel and trying to see if I can get them together. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with that assembly snafu.

AZ
+1

Now THAT is a little wierd...

I traded an 05 with 7000 mi on it for a new 07. So I know the 05 was a fresh motor with no problems. Just by seat of the pants feel I think my 07 is quicker. The 07 has not even loosened up yet with only 900 mi. Could be that it is just the difference in the throttle cam design that makes it feel that way. Definitly not a dissapointment from the 05.

Yeah, that's what I was told by Yamaki Tokuna from Yamaha.

:rolleyes:
....u guys have got to be joking right? Seriously folks, to answer the creater of this thread....H.P. and torque figures are identical for both generations according to the factory supplied data. Where the rubber meets the road in terms of trap speeds however, :ph34r: is most likely different.

The most unreliable piece of equipment in the world is the assdyno.

All things, motorwise, being equal, in torque and horsepower terms, the 07s would have to be slower based on the higher gearing and increased weight.

Forum posters lie (or at least their versions of the truth are suspect). Physics doesn't.

They are all really close in performance. Each year gets slight improvements but the heat managment improvment that started with the 2006 models is one of the most important ones IMHO. I general, Silver = slow. Blue and red = fast. :rolleyes: