GenMar Handelbar risers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also still running the Doug Hines risers. I thought about sending them back several times, but I really like them.

Don

I'm also still running the Doug Hines risers. I thought about sending them back several times, but I really like them.
Don
I liked Doug's risers. I wish I had not sent them back. Altho, a couple folks broke the bolts (due to incorrect torquing I'm told), but I don't think there was any inherent design problem.

These new deals may be what I'm looking for .... again. The way the stock bike is set up, there's too much weight on the bars/hands and it's just not fun to ride much. Doug's risers were pretty good at eliminating this.

Bagger

Don
I liked Doug's risers. I wish I had not sent them back. Altho, a couple folks broke the bolts (due to incorrect torquing I'm told), but I don't think there was any inherent design problem.

These new deals may be what I'm looking for .... again. The way the stock bike is set up, there's too much weight on the bars/hands and it's just not fun to ride much. Doug's risers were pretty good at eliminating this.

Bagger
The install does require removal of the top triple clamp. It is not much of a job but does require a 36mm socket to remove the steering stem nut ($8, Advanced Auto Parts), and a torque wrench for the re-install. The riser block's do away with the factory stud plate, wire harness guide contraption. It replaces it with a simple nut,bolt hook up that is common on many bikes. You must also cut the guide to remove the stud plate from the bike. It took about an hour to do, and was time well spent.

Another happy user. I'm 6'2" and the difference, even though an inch, is meaningful. It changes the angle of the wrist from supinated to flat.

Install is easy. Just take your time. On the reinstall, I found it easier to do the smaller (8mm) bolt first.

+++++

I just received my risers from Gen-Mar. Look much like DHs deals, except for the replacement bolts (which has already been noted).

The installation looks pretty much straight forward, but who the hell has a 36 mm socket in their garage? Not me. I called Pep Boys .... it's like $14 + tax + 10 mile drive.

I'm sure the web page said one needed a 36 mm socket ... I don't remember. But, it's a pain in the you know what. I wish one could install these deals without removing the wire loom, but I understand why this is necessary to replace the bolts.

I'm still bummed. Shoulda kept my DHs.

Bagger

Got a set on order. I got my 36mm socket at Sears Hardware for like $6.99 or so. Worth having if you ever have to remote the tree for any reason (or to install the RAM nut from MCL). I consider the steering head bearings to be a maintenance item, so having the right tool makes *all* the difference.