GenMar risers vs. Helibar triple clamp?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geed

Reaction score
Hi everyone! New member here (just finished my intro in the New Members section).

I need to have the most comfotable ride with the new '08 FJR1300AE I will be getting soon. I want my riding position to be as if I was sitting on a Goldwing (haha.... yes, I'm dreaming). I see my two options are the GenMar risers (least expensive option) or the Helibar Tour Performance triple clamp. My question... does anyone know if there is a comfort difference between these? The Helibar option is over $200 more! However, with the Helibar there is an optional additional riser you can add for more height (+$70).

I don't mind paying more if it will directly relate to a noticable improvement in comfort. It would be great if someone here has had first hand experience between these two. Any input would be much appreciated!

Oh, and I wanted to also ask.... is the triple clamp hard to remove/re-install? I am very mechanically inclined (I work on cars) however I have not had much experience with bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mind paying more if it will directly relate to a noticable improvement in comfort. It would be great if someone here has had first hand experience between these two. Any input would be much appreciated!
Welcome!

Howzabout you give the bike a fair chance before you set about spending money? Just sayin' is all.

+1. I have the Helibar and love it. Also, if I remember correctly, you can't use the riser with the Helibar because the cables and lines aren't long enough for both.

Howzabout you give the bike a fair chance before you set about spending money? Just sayin' is all.
Yes, I was considering this as well. I'm sure I will have some time with the stock setup since I won't order any risers until after I have the bike here. Will give it a try for a few rides and see how it goes.

Thanks!

I have the genmar risers. Rode stock for a couple months before installation, but due to back/neck issues and arm numbing, installed the risers. Some improvement, but no Goldwing.
smile.gif
I installed a new Sargent seat today and as a by products, noticed a more comfortable arm position. I would also like to hear more about the Helibar.

+1. I have the Helibar and love it. Also, if I remember correctly, you can't use the riser with the Helibar because the cables and lines aren't long enough for both.
By chance did you install the Helibar triple clamp yourself? Just wondering how hard it is to complete.

I've got the Genmar risers after riding four or five months stock. They help, but aren't a total solution. The helibars on my FJ worked a bit better, but the bike geometries are obviously quite different. I would definitely look at an aftermarket seat. Don't know how anyone can keep the stock seat on the bike.

The helibar triple clamp requires you to drill out the security bolts on the ignition switch. Not a trivial task.

Not true I have both installed. I informed Heli that you need to reroute the cables and it works fine. I have about 3-4000 miles with the Heli Risers on the Heli Tripleclamp.

I've got the Genmar risers after riding four or five months stock. They help, but aren't a total solution. The helibars on my FJ worked a bit better, but the bike geometries are obviously quite different. I would definitely look at an aftermarket seat. Don't know how anyone can keep the stock seat on the bike.
The helibar triple clamp requires you to drill out the security bolts on the ignition switch. Not a trivial task.
Does anyone have pics of the security screw drill out procedure?

The Genmars raise the bars but do NOT move them back, regardless of their claims. The triple clamps move the bars up AND back.

I've had both on my '06.

The risers did just that - raised the bars. They made the bike more comfortable for me , but it was still a reach to the bars. I had to lean slightly forward to reach the bars [ 33" sleeve].

Not a sport bike lean, but enough that after 3 or 4 hours in the saddle my back would be begin to become sore.

The Heli's brought the bars up and back just enough for me for all day comfort. It's not perfect, I don't sit completely upright, but close enough.

I have about 3 thousand miles on the Heli's now and consider them, along with my Russel seat to be the two best farkles I've bought for the bike !

I just did a ride to Kansas City and back last week (meeting in between trips). Took two days on the trip out. Shoulders were really really sore and the butt was taking it tough, too. I've got a Corbin seat.

Did a SaddleSore 1000 ride for the trip home. Left 0430 Friday morning from KC and rolled into my garage at 0100 Saturday morning. Have to say the ride back was much less painful. Must be due to my body adapting to the bike. This was my first long trip on this bike. After 12 years of riding the FJ, suppose it is to be expected. But I didn't start thinking about it too much until I hit the WV/VA border.

So the Genmars helped, but again not a perfect fit for me.

I put the Gen-Mars on a couple weeks ago. Before I got them, I had my chiro check out my riding position and asked him what would be best for me. That is the key, what is going to be best for you, not anyone else. He said that raising up the 3/4"-1" would be better than moving them back. Before, my back would get sore fairly quickly....now my back is straighter (still angled forward as in the Master Yoda Riding Position) but straighter. This seems to have made quite a bit of a difference in how my back feels.

Last edited by a moderator:
By chance did you install the Helibar triple clamp yourself? Just wondering how hard it is to complete.
Yes I did. They are not hard. It took about 2&1/2 hours. The only hard part is drilling the security bolts.

The process is documented on the board. Search for HRT076-2 on the board. To see my thread on the risers search for HRTR01.

It looks like Heli has put these back into production. They were discontinued at the time I purchased the risers. I got the last set at the time. Good for Heli and good for us. The risers really did the trick for me when I added them to the Heli Triple Clamp.

I have the genmar risers. Rode stock for a couple months before installation, but due to back/neck issues and arm numbing, installed the risers. Some improvement, but no Goldwing.
smile.gif
I installed a new Sargent seat today and as a by products, noticed a more comfortable arm position. I would also like to hear more about the Helibar.
pinscher, does the Sargent seat raise you up higher than the stock seat so that you are closer to the bars or does it move you closer to the tank? (or some of both?)

smile.gif
pinscher, does the Sargent seat raise you up higher than the stock seat so that you are closer to the bars or does it move you closer to the tank? (or some of both?)
The Sargent does not seem to raise me up any higher but it does set me back a little, further from the bars. The stock seat seemed to push me forward slightly. The advantage to setting back slightly is there is less forward pressure on wrists and arms, even a slight pull-back on the bars, depending on how straight my back is a any given time. This pull-back does alot to "balance" the arms and wrists. Only my third day with the sargent but the improvement goes beyond the butt.

smile.gif
The Sargent does not seem to raise me up any higher but it does set me back a little, further from the bars. The stock seat seemed to push me forward slightly. The advantage to setting back slightly is there is less forward pressure on wrists and arms, even a slight pull-back on the bars, depending on how straight my back is a any given time. This pull-back does alot to "balance" the arms and wrists. Only my third day with the sargent but the improvement goes beyond the butt.
Thanks. I've been thinking about getting a Sargent seat.