Getting prepped to do a little camping, FJR style

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
My bike adventures planned for 2012 are going to include some camping trips. I've been shopping for gear (great time to get good deals BTW) and it appears that the tent, sleeping bag, and pad I want can fit in a water proof duffle that measures 14" in diameter x 36" long. I know - a little long, but the tent requires a bag of at least 26" long and I'll need a little space for other things.

I'm not interested in buying a top box and rack because, well, they're about $800.00 and I dont' want to spend that much money. :)

So, I'd like to see some pictures of your camping FJR setup and get a feel for how the bike is gonna pack. I'm also interested in how you secure the camping gear to the bike. Finally, all comments, tips, and donations are welcome. Thanks.

1009112.jpg

I wasn't camping on this particular trip, but I bought this bag for that purpose. It lays across the pillion real nice and I can still get the saddle bags open with a little effort. It's completely waterproof (I tested it in a 4 hour downpour) and doesn't require some silly rain cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a motofiz bag. Strap it to your back seat. When you get to camp pull it off and pull out your stuff. I have the medium bag and coldcut has the large bag. Both are good but the large bag makes it a little harder to get into your side cases. I put all my camping gear into the motofizz bag. Tent, sleeping bag, pad and jetboil stove with food. They come with a water proof cover.

Search for motofiz here.

I don't camp much (unless you consider sleeping next to the bike in a gravel parking lot) but just wanted to compliment you on selecting the best yr Feejer!

Certainly anything you have to say on camping should be well regarded...

...So, I'd like to see some pictures of your camping FJR setup and get a feel for how the bike is gonna pack. I'm also interested in how you secure the camping gear to the bike. Finally, all comments, tips, and donations are welcome. Thanks.
There might be some helpful information in this thread...clicky

Good feedback, especially the links to the other threads. Lots of good pictures and comments there.

The search protocol on this website is horrible at best. No words less then 3 letters? I don't know that many words. :dribble:

Right now, I'm re-thinking my duffle bag choice. The tent I'm buying packs to 7 x 26". If I want to lay it flat in the duff, I'll need to go to the "XL" sized duff, which for most brands is 36" long. That's going to extend past the side cases, and likely throw the bike's balance off a bit. The "L" duff is 24", but I figure I can pack the tent diagonally? Most of the trips I envision would be - slab it the quickest way to the camp, unload all of the weight, and then ride the twisties light. However, I can envision some trips where the gear will go with me, and I want to be able to enjoy the bike loaded. Maybe I'm overthinking things... I do that.

Any additionaly thoughts are welcome and encouraged.

The search protocol on this website is horrible at best. No words less then 3 letters? I don't know that many words. :dribble:

Right now, I'm re-thinking my duffle bag choice. The tent I'm buying packs to 7 x 26". If I want to lay it flat in the duff, I'll need to go to the "XL" sized duff, which for most brands is 36" long. That's going to extend past the side cases, and likely throw the bike's balance off a bit. The "L" duff is 24", but I figure I can pack the tent diagonally? Most of the trips I envision would be - slab it the quickest way to the camp, unload all of the weight, and then ride the twisties light. However, I can envision some trips where the gear will go with me, and I want to be able to enjoy the bike loaded. Maybe I'm overthinking things... I do that.
I have the yellow Large size Northface duffel...it is 28 inches long. I strap/bungee it down and that works okay...plenty secure. I can rock and roll on it if I have to...though I like to travel lighter in the curves so I haven't used up as much of the suspension. Hope that helps.

BTW... tent = 4 letters, camp = 4 letters, beer = 4 letters...

I've got one of these:

https://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2955&pdeptid=1988

Waterproof, fits on the back seat and comes in various sizes. NRS products are top notch and I use them on the water all the time. It fits my tent, full size sleeping pad and my chair. I made some single ended loop snap clips that I rap around the passenger peg brackets and one around the back of the bike near the tail light. I'm one of those that like everything compact and neat on the bike and this works slick.

Check out this site...this guy has the best price on Ortlieb Waterproof bags. Get the Large or X-Large

https://www.thetourin...PACK%20PAGE.htm
Does the XL Ortleib bag sit across the pillion seat and make contact with the tops of the side cases? I did up a camping roll (tent, sleeping bag, air mattress) rolled up in a large plastic tarp to be used as waterproofing and groundsheet. The roll hung out over the side cases on both sides and in the course of a couple of days riding, the plastic tarp chafed the clearcoat on the bags. I managed to get it mostly buffed out but I am now pretty careful about anything that might rub the paint. The tarp plastic is farly rough but it is surprising how much damage even soft materials can cause when allowed to rub against paint for an extended period of time.

Ross

I use this bag. It's big! but I was looking for big... it's inexpensive... & I was looking for inexpensive... it's fairly waterproof... & I was looking for fairly waterproof.

I have faith in my stuff staying dry. The seams r seam sealed... the material is vinyl coated nylon & the top loading zipper is overlapped by a flap to keep rain from getting in. It's pretty heavy duty. I've ridden this bag in the rain before. If it was a frog strangler, I'd probably mount the bag w/ the zipper rear facing... but as of yet, my camping gear hasn't seen any moisture.

& it fits ALL of my gear... & I'm an overpacking woman. It does overlap the bags but does not touch them even in the smallest amount.

Good luck in your quest for the ultimate camp bag. I was in your shoes a couple of years ago... & did a shit ton of research & decided this would be the one for me. I am not one bit disappointed in the bags performance or functionality.

Oh, also to note... this bag is one large compartment. If you want the frills of inside pockets & whatnot, this isn't for you.

Heidi

Edited to add: I also use my top box with this setup.

Check out this site...this guy has the best price on Ortlieb Waterproof bags. Get the Large or X-Large

https://www.thetourin...PACK%20PAGE.htm
Does the XL Ortleib bag sit across the pillion seat and make contact with the tops of the side cases? I did up a camping roll (tent, sleeping bag, air mattress) rolled up in a large plastic tarp to be used as waterproofing and groundsheet. The roll hung out over the side cases on both sides and in the course of a couple of days riding, the plastic tarp chafed the clearcoat on the bags. I managed to get it mostly buffed out but I am now pretty careful about anything that might rub the paint. The tarp plastic is farly rough but it is surprising how much damage even soft materials can cause when allowed to rub against paint for an extended period of time.

Ross

Yep, good point. Pretty much anything that touches the paint over a couple days will damage the clearcoat. I have a 3M kit on my bike protecting the tank and bags, then got another roll to cut my own pieces to fill in some spots that the kit didn't cover, like the places that my tie down straps rub on the painted side panels.

I use the Helen Twowheels large duffel. Also use there large Roll top sack and there Super pack straps. They are great. They fit on the seat and don't hurt the paint on side cases. I do just as they say and use the roll top for sleeping gear. Put the sleeping pad in first, then sleeping bag, and bag liner. I use the cloths sack for tent, tent liners, lites.hatchet, etc,etc. I use one side bag for cloths, and one for gear.

The H2W bags don't touch the side bags. The green bag is a cot.

100_0807.jpg

I used 1' rubber hose on the rear rack to keep it from getting scratched.

100_0808.jpg

Get a motofiz bag. Strap it to your back seat. When you get to camp pull it off and pull out your stuff. I have the medium bag and coldcut has the large bag. Both are good but the large bag makes it a little harder to get into your side cases. I put all my camping gear into the motofizz bag. Tent, sleeping bag, pad and jetboil stove with food. They come with a water proof cover.

Search for motofiz here.
Those look really nice, and the reviews are all way positive. Question - can you keep a trunk on or do you need both the seat and the rear platform area?

road runner, that looks like a good set up.

What are you using for a tail bag?

Robert
That is a Nelson Rigg CL-150 which is NLA, but has been replaced by there CL-1040. You can see it here. I really liked it, but sold it and have a Givi trunk now. If I didn't have the Givi I'd have another CL-1040. It sat on a PCA sport rack/rest combo as seen here, but it would also go on the pillion seat and made a nice back rest for me.