Getting to know her, up close and personal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarWestFastEddie

Reaction score
I had had enough of right hand strength and decided to add an Audio Vox CC and while I had stuff apart, also install a Power Commander, Tips on the install for the AVCC were so very helpful, I do owe a cold beer to posters who had worthy tips, too may to mention, and had a hard time finding any info on the PC III install, good thing the damn thing is plug and play... I installed a Rollie "Rubberlegs" Throttle Modification Switch in liew of the conventional AVCC control pad. :huh: It is intimidating to open up the AVCC box and finding a shite load of wires to deal with, but slow down, have a beer and you can get thru this install.

Some tips for anyone doing this install of the AVCC, use old ear plugs to plug the injector ports when you remove the fuel rail, I also used a nyloc SS nut and 8-32 SS machine screw to hold the bead chain connector in place on the throttle tang. Once you have the tank off, do what I did, chase the ground spiders, all of mine looked good, applied a quality industerial dielectric silicone compound made by Boss. got to all the spiders except the "Bitch and Royal Bitch" I also drop the throttle return spring one revolution, much easier throttle. Used the fuel filter and check valve for vacume resevoir

I had to remove the tank a few times to solve some of the unknown electrical connections issues, as there is not alot of info out there on installs and not using the conventional control pad, I got good at removing her big jug, and also gently re-installing the mamouth mammery.

Work completed, took her out for a test ride, and Yahoo!!! :yahoo: I have a simply wonderful and working AVCC, I can hardly wait to take a run with this new farkle.

Hey, Maybe Monday the 23rd w/ Wheatie and Airboss!

So, if you have been thinking about this install, its easier than it seems. After all, a simpleton like me installed one...

A big cold assed beer to Rollie for all his help with the project!!

FWFE

FarWestFastEddie, it's been a blast chatting with you. You're anything but a simpleton and like me, borrowed a bit from this installation site and little bit from this other site and made it work.

For anyone thinking of an AVCC installation, there's tons of information out there and my only contribution is the micro-switch in the FTP blank or TSM as I call it.

I show my website below and unfortunately the TSM page has grown to the point of bordering on the verbose... it's in bad need of a wiring diagram, one to follow soon. :huh:

I don't have any inserts left but there is the option to dremmel out the FTP blank if you're not worried about returning the bike to original. I can supply the pre-wired micro-switch although it can likely be had at most electronic shops.

Anyway, check out the site: Toggle Switch Modification

FWFE, I tried your recommended 1/7 dip switch settings and can't see much difference from the 1/4/7 settings I had originally except for what seems to be a bit more response. I'll leave it on 1/7 for now for further testing but I'm thinking so far that I prefer the softer response??? Could it be that because I don't have the throttle spring unwound by the one turn as you have, that there seems to be no significant difference with those 2 settings?

Thanks for the ideas for the vacuum reservoir and the check valve. I'll add that to my website if you don't mind.

(fuel filter Carquest CFI 86028, Wix 33028, NAPA 3028. Check valve Carquest MTM 47149).

On the issue of the red wire at the servo, I disconnected it from the brown brake wire and now it's only connected to the brown wire going to the main switch at the front. Good news: the AVCC works the same so it looks like the switched 12V from the front is all that's needed. Again, changes to the website. :p