Given Up On Waiting for Spring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamafitter

Reigning NERDS Granite Lane Gold Medalist
Reaction score
We are coming up on the last day of the first week of Spring. BikerGeek is riding and I know what a wimp he is so it's time to pull out the FJR, pull on some longjohns and go for a ride.

There was lots of sand in the corners and I just wanted to turn the wheels a little bit so it was just a short little tour around the metropolis of Bowmanville.

The first stop was down at the park along the creek to see if the salmon were running yet...

1229336574_y7fUB-L.jpg

A few weeks ago the ice flows had this area all dammed up and this parking lot was underwater. Note my brand new Russel seat. Making the new seat work with the Corbin Smuggler was not easy. I didn't have to force it, I just used a bigger hammer. BikerGeek would be proud.

This was the warmest it got during the ride...

1229336735_akTWW-L.jpg

2o C converts to about 35o F for the metrically challanged.

I was only out a short time since I had put on my heated vest, chaps & gloves but some fool misplaced my controller. Since I live alone that fool was me. After about an hour of testing how much shrinkage I could inflict upon myself it was time for a coffee. Fortunately in the Great White North there is a Timmy's on every street corner...

1229336894_2TJyS-L.jpg

I did get a number of rather strange looks from the locals but I'm used to that.

On returning home I was hunting for something else and found my controller. I have now placed in a location that I will shortly forget before the next time I need it.

The poor quality of the photos are due to using the crappy camera on my iPhone since I don't like getting icicles on my Nikon.

Nice. I'm wondering when spring is coming back too, that one season that we often talk about but likes to make a late entrance. My friend in St. Louis, MO (about 450 miles west of my location) has kindly let me know that snow flurries have hit them again and they're headed right across I-70 toward Columbus, OH. :angry2:

The ride to work today in Columbus was a crisp 25oF but dry so it was still manageable. My Gerbings gear is a lifesaver right now. Not to mention that my job requires me to test ride motorcycles so that was an additional 30 miles of riding in the chill. Thank goodness one of those bikes was a Goldwing...I needed the reprieve.

Nice shot of your bike's cockpit. I've never seen a Canadian edition FJR with the full kilometers on the speedo and Co conversion. And yes, Tim Horton's FTW. :)

Good deal! You're a true enthusiast. I'm waiting until the weather gets warmer here in SoCal. :p
I'm originally from those parts (Carson/Torrance to be exact). So yes, I do miss being privileged like that...didn't need the heated gear until I moved to Columbus.

But yes, dammit, you are spoiled! I visited family back there first week of February. I was on my friend's BMW K1300S cruising in 75oF and sunny the whole vacation. Feels nice to use my summer gloves in the "dead" of winter. You Californians... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a few warm days last week here in Michigan - but back to the 30's now. I finished putting the farkles I accumulated over the winter on my FJR and broke it out for a short ride today. Next year will hopefully bring some heated gear!

Our weather forecast is 30's until mid-week, but then 50's!

Good deal! You're a true enthusiast. I'm waiting until the weather gets warmer here in SoCal. :p
I truly feel your pain, Brother Bluesy! Only got to 75F here in Phoenix today, but my Son Seth (14) and his DaddyDon toughed it out to ride our H-D FXD to see "Diary of a Wimpy Kid"! I know that you hear me loud and clear FJRBluesman, sometimes we real riders just have to tough it out! jes' sayin', Bro'!

What's a Tim Hortons? Kind of like a Dunkin' Donuts?

..and 35F is warm!

When it drops below 15F let me know :lol:

Great to see you snow bound bums finally setting the FJR's free!

I truly feel your pain, Brother Bluesy! Only got to 75F here in Phoenix today, but my Son Seth (14) and his DaddyDon toughed it out to ride our H-D FXD to see "Diary of a Wimpy Kid"! I know that you hear me loud and clear FJRBluesman, sometimes we real riders just have to tough it out! jes' sayin', Bro'!
I feel your pain brother. ;)
Glad you and Seth got out to see the Wimpy kid flick. I think that's about fairlaner... :huh:

What's a Tim Hortons? Kind of like a Dunkin' Donuts?

..and 35F is warm!

When it drops below 15F let me know :lol:

Great to see you snow bound bums finally setting the FJR's free!
Tim Horton's is like Dunkin' Donuts - good coffee and good donuts. Are there still Dunkin' Donuts in the west coast? Last one I saw in that direction was in Las Vegas. The other ones left my part of SoCal over ten years ago.

What sucks is that most days when it's 15 degrees there's snowfall and/or ice. I'd still be out there if there wasn't any precipitation. Cold isn't enough to stop me.

What's a Tim Hortons? ...
You Yanks lead such a sheltered life!! Think Starbucks at 1/10th the price.

The big difference between Starbucks and Timmy's though is that Timmy's is the last bastion of coffee flavoured coffee... yummy!!! :yahoo:

The big difference between Starbucks and Timmy's though is that Timmy's is the last bastion of coffee flavoured coffee... yummy!!! :yahoo:
I could debate that, but your point is valid. Besides that, edible food and clean(ish) bathrooms. Theirs one just north of Ellicotville NY and another just north of Toledo OH :D

I always stop at the first Tim Hortons I see when coming home from the States. OMG! I just realized something. Tim Hortons controls the weather! The one time I did NOT stop at Tim Hortons on the way home, it didn't rain!

I could debate that, but your point is valid. Besides that, edible food and clean(ish) bathrooms. Theirs one just north of Ellicotville NY and another just north of Toledo OH :D

I always stop at the first Tim Hortons I see when coming home from the States. OMG! I just realized something. Tim Hortons controls the weather! The one time I did NOT stop at Tim Hortons on the way home, it didn't rain!
Buffalo has quite a few Tim Horton's now. I think the main reason for that is so that they can pretend they are living in Canada where there is less snow. :p

Buffalo has quite a few Tim Horton's now. I think the main reason for that is so that they can pretend they are living in Canada where there is less snow. :p
Heck, we've even got a Timmy Ho's right here in our little town of two stop lights! They're everywhere now! :)

Heck, we've even got a Timmy Ho's right here in our little town of two stop lights! They're everywhere now! :)
I just can't wait for Phoenix to get a Tim Horton's! Donuts, back bacon, poutine, churros and tamales ese! Take Off Eh, Hoser! Beauty There, Eh!

I just can't wait for Phoenix to get a Tim Horton's! Donuts, back bacon, poutine, churros and tamales ese! Take Off Eh, Hoser! Beauty There, Eh!
You have to go to Harvey's for poutine and as for churros & tamales you just can't find any decent Tex-Mex in Canada.

The only reason I have a passport is to go to the 'Mighty Taco' in Buffalo for a Super Mighty Burrito.

Don, you should buy a Timmy's franchise. They are a licence to print money around here and will only set you back $1.25 Million for a franchise.

Don, you should buy a Timmy's franchise. They are a licence to print money around here and will only set you back $1.25 Million for a franchise.
Bill, you've set your Papa Chuy seriously considering a Tim Horton's franchise. With all the Canadian snowbirds here in Winter, I could make a $$$ mint with a Timmy's!

https://www.timhortons.com/ca/locator/locations.html?q_loc=Arizona&search.x=79&search.y=19 EDIT: Just did a search at the Tim Horton's Corporate Website. Nearest Timmy H's to Phoenix is in Creston, British Columbia.

Establishing one in Phoenix would be a gold mine! Capture the CA Crowd in Winter and have "Talk and Dress like a Canuck Day's" in Summertime! Beauty Killer Idea!

https://www.timhortons.com/us/en/menu/2455.html PS: If they let me vary the menu, since they already have Chili, I'll add my famous Chile Relleno, Queso and Albondigas Soups!

Bill, you've set your Papa Chuy seriously considering a Tim Horton's franchise. With all the Canadian snowbirds here in Winter, I could make a $$$ mint with a Timmy's!...
I'll be looking for a 'finder's fee' such as an all expenses paid motorcycle vacation in South Africa.

...Establishing one in Phoenix would be a gold mine! Capture the CA Crowd in Winter and have "Talk and Dress like a Canuck Day's" in Summertime! Beauty Killer Idea!
If you were going to be a Canuck you would have to outfit your wardobe with plaid flannel shirts and pretend to be a lumberjack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg

https://www.timhortons.com/us/en/menu/2455.html PS: If they let me vary the menu, since they already have Chili, I'll add my famous Chile Relleno, Queso and Albondigas Soups!
I'll have to give some Albondigas Soup a try. I found this recipe:

Albondigas Soup