Givi bracket info needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
My 'Seat Handle' aka 'passenger grab rail' broke at the left forward mounting point.

Yamaha wants $280 USD.. ouch.

I'm running a Give E52 with PCA adapter plate. The top case has always 'rattled' with this combo. I've noticed that folks running the same 52 litre top case and Givi racks have a nice solid, no bounce ride.

DSC05053.jpg

So, I'm thinking of replacing the stock oem with a Givi mounting kit. Questions for those of you running one -

1. I assume you kept the stock saddle bags?

2. Any complaints or issues with Givi mounting system?

3. Does the top case ride without bouncing?

4. Any other comments?

TIA -

dcarver

Last edited by a moderator:
My Givi is a V46 and the bike is an '05, so it is not exactly the same as yours.

1) Stock saddle bags are not affected.

2) Givi system works great.

3) Top case is slightly loose . There are rubber feet on the top of the Givi mount plate which have worn over time.

4) I like it.

Givi mount doesn't interfere with anything else anywhere. Sidecases still fit just where they've always fit, and the Givi mount, being steel tube, is much stronger. It attaches at the same 5 bolt points as the stock plastic rack. Easy-Peasey.

I just bought an E52 and the Givi steel mounting rig and will be putting it on the bike tonight. Never had a top case before, so it will be interesting to see how it all works together. I prefer the look of the stock grab rail over the Givi mount, but definitley appreciate the strength of that over the stocker. Maybe I just need to get it painted to match and I'll get over it...

EDIT: OK, so I just finished putting on the SR357 grab rail/mount and E52 case. Took me about 30 minutes, but I could easily have done it closer to 15 minutes if I wasn't trying to be so careful about scratching paint/plastic and such. Solid as a rock, but I haven't yet taken it out for a ride, and I actually like the black finish right next to the side cases and seat. Seems like a winner to me!

My 'Seat Handle' aka 'passenger grab rail' broke at the left forward mounting point.Yamaha wants $280 USD.. ouch.

I'm running a Give E52 with OHFJR adapter plate. The top case has always 'rattled' with this combo. I've noticed that folks running the same 52 litre top case and Givi racks have a nice solid, no bounce ride.
The SR357 is good and sturdy. Very happy with it.

Had a Hepco and Becker top box and it rattled around so much it broke the sub frame of the bike.

You should check yours, when my subframe broke, it broke the passenger grab rail broke at both forward mounting points.

I fixed, tried to fix, the grab rail with "Plasty Weld". There's not much "meat" there where it it broke.

It may go back onto the bike if I keep the 357.

Cheers

Ken

DSC05053.jpg

So, I'm thinking of replacing the stock oem with a Givi mounting kit. Questions for those of you running one -

4. Any other comments?
You'll need Joe2Lmaker to get you a different set of bushings for the TAT as the SR357 is slightly different. I may be switching to the SR357 at some point as well and will need to see if Joe will hook us up. Since my second set of bushings were a pain for Joe, I won't ask for anything until I really need them. BTW, I had a broken rear subframe and before I had the new one installed, it got beefed up to eliminate the future risk. You should also check the subframe for damage.

Corey

Regarding the rattling top cases:

My V46 also had a very small amount of motion on its Givi mount, mostly when it was empty and being used as a pillion backrest, which is the trunk's secondary function. Being an AR type guy, any amount of rattle is too much for me. So, I found some pieces of high density foam cushions the right thickness and used double sided tape to stick them into the right strategic locations on either side of the quick release latch to support the trunk when mounted.

100_1507.jpg

Voila!! No more rattle.

I have a Givi setup. I just swapped my plastic mount for this one from Premier Cycle Accessories. I swapped it out to give the Mrs. and extra 2" of back room. The top box was a bit loose on plastic mount. It is rock solid on this.

The service from Premier was fantastic! I am very happy with the upgrade.

I'm not so sure I'd use another PCA rack. My first one broke,

BrokeRack2.jpg

BrokeRack1a.jpg

BrokeRack3.jpg

I ordered a second one, that's beefier, but the top box still had too much rattle in it - even though I tried FredW's approach above. Since my rev 2 rack, Duane has made a rev 3 rack - with indents on topside to allow a better E52 top case fit. But after buying two, I think I'm done and will try the Givi.

Edit1 - well, I just read Squirrel's post so I may have to re-think this situation. He seems to know what's he's doing and all. Squirrel, are you running the E52 Givi top case?

Edit2 Well, now I read Fred W's more carefully and he's had looseness with the stock setup too..

So now what? By the SR357 or whatever the number is AND another PCA rack? Is that the consensus? :unsure:

Edit3 So as I read yet again, the PCA plate allows the top case to sit further rearward? That's valuable as we're cramped when two-up...

Sigh, Fred W can you send me your cc number please? The one that still has some credit on it? :blink:

Edit1 - well, I just read Squirrel's post so I may have to re-think this situation. He seems to know what's he's doing and all. Squirrel, are you running the E52 Givi top case?
Don't hold me to this, but I think mine is an E460. It was on the bike when I bought it.

The plate I bought has a LOT more metal than the one you have in the picture. I think you would have to try pretty hard to break this one.

I'm attending NAFO for anyone that wants to see it.

I'm not so sure I'd use another PCA rack. My first one broke,
Don -

You have seen my rack before but here it is again. I call it the OX rack!

DSCF3882.jpg

DSCF3884.jpg

DSCF3883.jpg

DSCF3010.jpg

Had Johnny Tatum weld it up for me out of 1/4" aircraft Aluminum. You used to work with him at Diablo Canyon, he knew you when you worked there? Rack is absolutely bullet proof. Can carry 50+ lbs. Mounted on a GIVI steel rack. No Box, instead use a combination of duffels, sized as needed. Makes the bike into a flat bed stump puller.

YMMV and sorry about the focusing, camera's taken a beating along with the rider.

Nice looking OX rack Kj (oops, sounds kinda bad, doesn't it).

I've done something similar to use for my medium MotoFizz and although it worked well for two bikes, this winter I need to do some reinforcement of the subframe... Got a little too aggressive with straps, but that's another story.

--G