Givi E46 rear trunk - Like or Dislike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has your Givi E46 ever come off while riding?

• I have ridden 100+mph with the trunk and it's never come off.

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • Several years & 30,000+ miles on my Givi Trunk with no issues.

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • My Givi trunk has come off once before.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • My Givi trunk has come off multiple times.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't ride in excess of 80mph with a Givi Trunk.

• I've used Fred W.'s clevis pin fix and have not had any issues since.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Givi trunks suck...use this other brand instead (explain below)

• Other (Explain below)

• Total voters
I have had a V46 on my '05 since new and it now has over 100k miles on it with no problem with either the case or the mount. I have the Givi specific rack and mount plate. The paint on the Givi rack is pretty thin and there doesn't appear to be any primer under it, so I repainted mine before mounting it. Other than that is is well made and very sturdy.

Have had my V46 with Givi rack on my 2006 since new and it is rarely ever off. Only complaint is that the rubber bumpers that the case sits on, "pack down" and allow the case to wiggle a bit. Looks funny but doesn't affect it so far after 50,000 miles. I have replaced the rubber bumper buttons and got temporary relief. You can shim them if you need to.

The case has never come off by itself. I think if you pay attention to the latch, is is a very secure connection. I have done many trips with it loaded to the gills. I also found that my largish laptop in an Aerostich messenger bags drops right in like it was made for it.

I rarely spend a lot of time over 100 mph, but is does happen now and again (just passing for safety reasons officer). Did a 45 minnute stretch, fully loaded at 105-115. Never noticed a stability issue.

Also, in many a rainstorm, I have never seen a drop of water make it into the Givi.

mr.paul, from Minnesota

Have the V46 w/Givi's rack mounted on my 2008 and love it. Very solid setup and never had a problem with it coming off. I think the size of the V46 looks just about right for the FJR.

So... since I'm Fred W, I figured that maybe I should weigh in. :p

Yeah, I've got the V46 trunk. I bought it after I bought a Yamaha trunk and thought that the whole system sucked.

I have been completely happy with my Givi trunk on the FJR, and also had Givi bags on my VFR and other bikes. The only reason I put the pin mod on my FJR was that I had heard that others had some latching problems, and due to the value of the goods I often carry in my trunk I thought, well... gee wouldn't it be smart to do something preventive before something bad happens? I've never experienced a Givi get-off. That, even with my penchant for dirt road travel.

I've ridden some relatively high speeds (for a 50 year old) with the V46, and with no passenger to fill the air space between me and the trunk... yeah, you will feel it buffet the bike around a bit, somewhere north of a ton.. So what? I must reveal I mostly only use that trunk with a passenger, and also don't submit them to such perilous speeds :eek: , or else they would likely berate me greatly. Without the trunk I get none of this squirrely-ness. I really think that this would be true of any trunk on any FJR. Of course some numb butts will tell you they don't feel a problem at 150 with XYZ brand trunk. I'm not buying it.

I like the substantial GIVI rack and their luggage is first rate and considerably cheaper than the Yammi stuff. What's not to like?

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first got the large (56L?) Givi trunk, it came with a mount that bolted to the FJR tail rack, and I've had the case come off.

After switching to the heavy duty steel-frame rack that bolts to the frame under the passenger seat from Twisted Throttle, I haven't had a problem since, including high speed on bad roads (Dalton and Alaskan Highways).

John Ryan

For the time it takes to pin the trunk and the 3-4 dollars it cost it was a no brainer for me. 0 Miles when I did mine and my bags.

After ordering a factory trunk, coming home and reading what others liked and disliked I called the dealer and canceled. I got the 46 the 357 mount, the AddMore light kit and bought the pins for trunk and bags for way less than factory.

I read of flying Givi trunks, broken sub frames, flying side bags, and no space in the OEM and made my choice. I do not regret it and love the Givi system.

Not to mention NO LIGHTS in a OEM trunk, would never want a trunk with no lights.

I would Pin the trunk and the bags no matter what but that is just me. I do not worry about them though so less stress for me.

I'm ready to order my first trunk for this bike and want to go with the Givi E46 (unless anyone has a better suggestion). I think this is more than enough storage space for my needs and I don't need the bigger E55 case.

My question & poll is pertaining to the issue I've read about with some riders saying they have completely lost their trunks while riding. Apparently some of the Givi trunks don't seem to latch correctly or there is too much play in them with how they attach to the mounting plate. So I was curious as to what the failure rate is on them.

Fred W had posted some time ago what looks like an excellent fix for additional attachment security by installing some clevis pins Givi Trunk Fix (last post at the bottom of page).

All that have Givi trunks please way in on the poll above or by posting your experience.

Multiple Poll answers enabled.

Thanks.
Hi GR,

The E460 is a MonoLock type case. 'MonoLock' type Givi cases are lighter duty, and better suited for scooters. I just ordered, from: SportTour.com, a Givi V46 Top Case: $245, an E95S Backrest: $66, and an E228 Quick Release 'MonoKey' 'Fitment Rack': $99 (3 HEAVIER mounting points than the E series has). My Total bill Delivered is: $410 (free shipping & no tax as I am in California & SportTour.com is Ohio based). I may pin this rig, but by all accounts I can find, it ain't likely to come off. Of course I can give no personal review yet since I just ordered it today, but I wanted to get this "best price I could find from a reliable vendor" to you in case you have not ordered anything yet.

Ps: Your videos are great! Keep it up please. If I can find another $300 someplace, that GoPro HD Hero2 is calling to me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first got the large (56L?) Givi trunk, it came with a mount that bolted to the FJR tail rack, and I've had the case come off.

After switching to the heavy duty steel-frame rack that bolts to the frame under the passenger seat from Twisted Throttle, I haven't had a problem since, including high speed on bad roads (Dalton and Alaskan Highways).

John Ryan
Now there is a man that knows about high speed on bumpy roads! :clapping:

I'm ready to order my first trunk for this bike and want to go with the Givi E46 (unless anyone has a better suggestion). I think this is more than enough storage space for my needs and I don't need the bigger E55 case.

My question & poll is pertaining to the issue I've read about with some riders saying they have completely lost their trunks while riding. Apparently some of the Givi trunks don't seem to latch correctly or there is too much play in them with how they attach to the mounting plate. So I was curious as to what the failure rate is on them.

Fred W had posted some time ago what looks like an excellent fix for additional attachment security by installing some clevis pins Givi Trunk Fix (last post at the bottom of page).

All that have Givi trunks please way in on the poll above or by posting your experience.

Multiple Poll answers enabled.

Thanks.
Hi GR,

The E460 is a MonoLock type case. 'MonoLock' type Givi cases are lighter duty, and better suited for scooters. I just ordered, from: SportTour.com, a Givi V46 Top Case: $245, an E95S Backrest: $66, and an E228 Quick Release 'MonoKey' 'Fitment Rack': $99 (3 HEAVIER mounting points than the E series has). My Total bill Delivered is: $410 (free shipping & no tax as I am in California & SportTour.com is Ohio based). I may pin this rig, but by all accounts I can find, it ain't likely to come off. Of course I can give no personal review yet since I just ordered it today, but I wanted to get this "best price I could find from a reliable vendor" to you in case you have not ordered anything yet.

Ps: Your videos are great! Keep it up please. If I can find another $300 someplace, that GoPro HD Hero2 is calling to me. :)
GR, I just noticed that you have a 2005 Gen I bike. The E228 Fitment Rack mentioned above is appropriate for my 2006 Gen II bike. If you are interested in the combo at all, the fitment rack may be different for your bike.