Givi E55 Gone!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hate to hear that about your E55. I also have the E55 and have delaying doing the mod to put the retainer pin in the bottom of it. Looks like I now have a Saturday project!

I'm glad it was a faulty latch and not that you didn't have it snapped down correctly. At least you'll get it replaced.
Oh ya it defo needs to be done, I could not drive properly with one behind me that was not pinned on now especially when the last time I looked in the mirror I saw it bouncing 4ft in the air :( I will let ye know how I will get on with a replacement anyway and I will post a few pics of the modification I will be doing.

I did this after reading Fred W posting on it when the bike had 0 miles.

Dont forget to do your side bags too, just as easy and inexpensive, and great piece of mind.

I did this after reading Fred W posting on it when the bike had 0 miles.

Dont forget to do your side bags too, just as easy and inexpensive, and great piece of mind.
Good advice, how do you do the side panniers? Have you any photos? Thanks

This happened to me last year after hitting a highway pothole at speed.

Just some FYI: Insurance covered the cost 100% on a no fault claim. Including case, Admore light kit, they (Progressive) even paid me 1.5 hours labor to put my new case on (with pins). ;)

After reading about Givi cases bouncing down the road, I finally got around to fashioning up some preventative hardware. I have always been concerned that a simple latch malfunction could cause a case launch so here is my solution:

Drill hole through top case and mounting bracket:

IMG_0177.jpg

Put together some hardware laying around the shop:

5/16-18 x 2.5 carraige bolt, 2" and 1.5" ss fender washers, plastic threaded know with 5/16 nylok (nylon insert lock nut)nut, and a piece of old mouse pad cut to shape to act as a sealing washer between the Givi case and the bolt-washer combo. The bolt has a square boss under the head, so by beating that square boss into the fender washer it prevents rotation of the bolt when installed:

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

Here's the underside all assembled. Previously I added the other aluminum plates in the photo allow me to move the Givi mounting bracket rearward to give the pillion about 1.5 inches more room.

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

What I like about the plastic knob is that because it is self locking, I don't have to torque the devil out of it to stay tight. Just enough to take the play out between the Givi case and bracket. No more rattling, especially with and empty case.

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading about Givi cases bouncing down the road, I finally got around to fashioning up some preventative hardware. I have always been concerned that a simple latch malfunction could cause a case launch so here is my solution:

That is nice..

Last edited by a moderator:
Well guys, I got a new replacement box from my dealer free of charge, however I think that givi refused to cover it (according to my dealer). Bad form by givi I felt, but this one won't be coming off anyway I will be doing the mod before it goes anywhere :)