GIVI Top Case - How and Where?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cool_cynic

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

After spending hours and hours reading through the forum posts in an attempt to determine what parts can go together to add a top case to the FJ, I was hoping I could get some clarification from the folks in the know; it appears there are many ways to add a Givi to the back of the FJ, but which method is the strongest? As I see it, there are a variety of options...if I could get someone to comment, I'd appreciate it.

1. Install Premier Cycle Accessories (or similar) plate to back of FJ luggage rack using OEM bolt holes, and use a GIVI mounting kit or Premier Cycle Accessories mounting kit.

2. Install the tubular steel GIVI mounting rack (replacing the OEM rack), and use the included GIVI mounting plate.

3. Install the tubular steel GIVI mounting rack (replacing the OEM rack), and use the Premier Cycle Accessories (or similar) plate and mounting kit.

I think I might have missed an option or two in there, but I think you should be able to get what I'm after...is using the aluminum plate in conjunction with the GIVI steel rack going to be the strongest assembly? Is there any noticeable benefit in replacing the OEM luggage rack/grab rails with the GIVI kit?

Once I have this bit figured out, then I need to choose the right vendor...I've found most of what I need at Twisted Throttle or Premier Cycle Accessories. I've been unable to find a "deal" or forum discount though; any other suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to read this...what a Monday...

--Cool_Cynic

2008 FJR1300A

Once I get the expense check I am waiting on, I am going with option #1 as well. Hopefully it will be installed before CFO.

Do you understand that the factory rack is plastic?

Are you aware that the tubular steel Givi racks have broken in the past, as have the factory plastic racks.

I see no point in installing a non-Givi plate to it, then the Givi mounting plate. It's just additional weight.

K.I.S.S. and put the Premier unit on your stock rack, but make very sure the top box doesn't have up/down movement when installed on the rack. This is what the Yamaha pad is for on the Yamaha box, to sandwich between things to avoid the bouncing of the box and minimize vibration.

1. Install Premier Cycle Accessories (or similar) plate to back of FJ luggage rack using OEM bolt holes, and use a GIVI mounting kit or Premier Cycle Accessories mounting kit.2. Install the tubular steel GIVI mounting rack (replacing the OEM rack), and use the included GIVI mounting plate.

3. Install the tubular steel GIVI mounting rack (replacing the OEM rack), and use the Premier Cycle Accessories (or similar) plate and mounting kit.
4. Plastic toolbox/tacklebox/Tupperware storage box/styrofoam cooler and a roll of duct tape.

Seriously, forks. I don't really see the purpose of using the GIVI replacement rack.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the stock yamaha rack doesn't hold as much weight as using the givi rack setup. anyone out there know? also, I had to move my topcase (v46) back a bit as my wifey said it made her lean forward even without a backrest pad on the box. I like the look of the stock rack much better than the givi and would consider going back to it with a mount plate.

The plastic plate from givi doesnt seem to keep the top box tight either. I have tried foam etc. it doesn't last long maybe a month..... Maybe the metal plate would keep it in place tighter.

any thoughts?????

thanks, TBWRENCH

Do you understand that the factory rack is plastic?
Are you aware that the tubular steel Givi racks have broken in the past, as have the factory plastic racks.

I see no point in installing a non-Givi plate to it, then the Givi mounting plate. It's just additional weight.

K.I.S.S. and put the Premier unit on your stock rack, but make very sure the top box doesn't have up/down movement when installed on the rack. This is what the Yamaha pad is for on the Yamaha box, to sandwich between things to avoid the bouncing of the box and minimize vibration.
The mounting plate from Premier comes with four rubber grommets of sorts...Installed properly the top box sets firmly on the rubber grommets that fit into a recessed fitted hole. Fits snug! Great application....

I got the Premier Cycle Accessories (or similar) plate to back of FJ luggage rack using OEM bolt holes, and use the associated mounting kit for the Givi.

I got the TopBox Rack - https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Top...ack_p/11997.htm

I have a spare Sport Touring Rack for Sale (first ed, no FJR logo) https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Sma...ack_p/11999.htm

And at https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Yam...6_09_s/4972.htm

I see PCA has a new FJR/GIVI Replacement Rack https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/FJR...fjrgivirack.htm which is cheaper

This summer I did a 3150 miles, 8-day Lap of California to get acquainted with my new FJR. The Lost Coast area (Hwy 211 west of Humboldt Redwood State Park) especially had REALLY bad roads (patch on top of patches for last 20+ years??). I was thankful I have mountain bike experience (I could have slowed down to under 20mph but on a 60 mile road, I didn't feel like wasting that much time). The view was great - but the road was no fun after a long day of riding

The Givi v46 trunk and the TopBox Rack - rock solid the whole time.

I had a Givi setup on my Concours for 13+ years (and almost 100k miles). I'm cheap by nature, but prefere to pay a little more to get something that will last a long time (buy once and be done with it). For the FJR, a PCA mount and the Givi is quite nice. But I'm cheap, like I said - so I got all of my stuff used, in near new condition - just took a little patience

I have option 2 on my Gen 1 FJR. I am very happy with the Givi rack that replaces the plastic rack. It is sturdy and I have loaded it up heavily with no problems. I looked on Givi's web site and I could not find the rack listed so maybe they don't make it anymore.

Whatever supplier you choose, you want a metal rack that mounts in 5 points to distribute the stress. Some folks have had their rear sub-frame crack from loading up a rack that didn't distribute the weight far enough forward.

I have option 2 on my Gen 1 FJR. I am very happy with the Givi rack that replaces the plastic rack. It is sturdy and I have loaded it up heavily with no problems. I looked on Givi's web site and I could not find the rack listed so maybe they don't make it anymore.
Whatever supplier you choose, you want a metal rack that mounts in 5 points to distribute the stress. Some folks have had their rear sub-frame crack from loading up a rack that didn't distribute the weight far enough forward.
That's the reason I went with option 2 as well. I didn't feel like a plate bolted through the stock rack would transfer the weight to the frame as evenly as the Givi rack does. Mine is extremely strong and solid, although I admit it doesn't look as good as the Premier rack.

Thanks for your help everyone! Now it's just a matter of deciding where all the parts should be ordered from. Preferences?
A fellow forum member was selling his Givi setup, so I got everything from him (though his was on '07 so I bought the Givi V46 Gloss Black cover from another forum member - and have the nice Black Cherry '07 cover still to sell). Doing so saved me a hundred or two dollars and the items were in basically new condition. I've seen Givi V46s on sale on both eBay and craiglslist

If you aren't the type to shop/buy used, I'd check out a few sellers for the Givi. If PCA's price is close, I'd be inclined to order everything from one vendor.

Last edited by a moderator: