GIVI Top Case - How and Where?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you aware that the tubular steel Givi racks have broken in the past, as have the factory plastic racks.
I see no point in installing a non-Givi plate to it, then the Givi mounting plate. It's just additional weight.

Old news, IMO. Yes, I've seen the report of a broken GIVI rack here. I can not find another single instance of one breaking other than the oft referenced David Morrow rack. He was carrying a fuel cell on his. He says it was a 10 liter cell but underestimated what that weighs. Gasoline weighs ~ 6.15 lbs per US gallon, or 1.625 lbs per liter. So he was carrying 16.25 lbs of fuel. But the fuel cell weighs something too (at least 5 lbs is my guess). Anyway, this is the only occurrence I am aware of, and I even Googled for more.

There are many examples of broken rear sub-frames, but those seem to have happened mostly using racks that eliminate the hand rails not GIVIs.

The reasons that I'd consider replacing the Givi plastic plate with an aftermarket one would be to lower the trunk COG a little (the Givi plate has the trunk sit up about an inch) but more importantly, to allow a small amount of range in fore / aft direction for passenger backrest comfort.

Good afternoon,After spending hours and hours reading through the forum posts in an attempt to determine what parts can go together to add a top case to the FJ, I was hoping I could get some clarification from the folks in the know; it appears there are many ways to add a Givi to the back of the FJ, but which method is the strongest? As I see it, there are a variety of options...if I could get someone to comment, I'd appreciate it.

1. Install Premier Cycle Accessories (or similar) plate to back of FJ luggage rack using OEM bolt holes, and use a GIVI mounting kit or Premier Cycle Accessories mounting kit.

2. Install the tubular steel GIVI mounting rack (replacing the OEM rack), and use the included GIVI mounting plate.

3. Install the tubular steel GIVI mounting rack (replacing the OEM rack), and use the Premier Cycle Accessories (or similar) plate and mounting kit.

I think I might have missed an option or two in there, but I think you should be able to get what I'm after...is using the aluminum plate in conjunction with the GIVI steel rack going to be the strongest assembly? Is there any noticeable benefit in replacing the OEM luggage rack/grab rails with the GIVI kit?

Once I have this bit figured out, then I need to choose the right vendor...I've found most of what I need at Twisted Throttle or Premier Cycle Accessories. I've been unable to find a "deal" or forum discount though; any other suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to read this...what a Monday...

--Cool_Cynic

2008 FJR1300A
After riding behind a bunch of FJR's with other trunk kits and seeing them bounce around I'm very happy with option #2. The Givi rack and mount which I think is the strongest setup from what I have seen.

Eric

Thanks again everyone for your advice and wisdom. I decided to order all three parts, the bag, the tubular bracket, and the top box mounting plate from Premier Cycle Accessories. Ordered yesterday, scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Should be a nice little Friday evening project. Thanks again everyone!

:coolsmiley03:

If you're not in too big a hurry I can sell you option 1 (old style) Premier plate, plus Givi 3xx mounting plate. For pretty cheap.

I don't like how much this arrangement flexes, though I've used it that way for 40k miles since 2006 w/o issues. I'm going with option 2 now.

PM me with offer if interested.

snip: Old news, IMO. Yes, I've seen the report of a broken GIVI rack here. I can not find another single instance of one breaking other than the oft referenced David Morrow rack. ....
I have had my Gen I Givi rack break - see the thread here: https://www.fjrowners.ws/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=46358#46358

The new Givi racks don't have the same weak point, and I would definitely go the Givi route again. I am actually in the process of doing so for my '08.

So there's David Morrow's, and yours and one other fellows in that post you link to (unless that is David?). You mention that you think the newer racks are made differently, more strongly. Could you elaborate?

I have a question about this mounting system.

I received my GIVI E52 box, with the GIVI mounting rack.

I am going to return the GIVI mounting rack, and go with the Premier sport touring rack.

I like the looks of the stock luggage rack, grab handles, and like the option of 2 mounting positions.

My question is, if I go with the topbox mounting kit :https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Topbox_Mounting_Kit_p/12000.htm

Do I still retain the quick release trunk option? Looking at it, it is hard to tell.

I would like to remove the top box easily with the key and push button still. I have also bought the GIVI add on tail light kit (not installed yet), and would like the quick connect method (no wire harness to unplug). I assume this is still possible?

So I have the GIVI trunk already E52, and I think this is all I need:

https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Top...Kit_p/12000.htm

https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Sma...ack_p/11999.htm

Thank you for your help!

I am going to return the GIVI mounting rack, and go with the Premier sport touring rack.I like the looks of the stock luggage rack, grab handles, and like the option of 2 mounting positions.
my reasoning was the same

My question is, if I go with the topbox mounting kit :https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Topbox_Mounting_Kit_p/12000.htmDo I still retain the quick release trunk option? Looking at it, it is hard to tell. I would like to remove the top box easily with the key and push button still.
Yes - key operation / dismount is exactly the same as stock (I believe). It definitely works the same as my old Givi setup on my ZG1000 Concours

I have also bought the GIVI add on tail light kit (not installed yet), and would like the quick connect method (no wire harness to unplug). I assume this is still possible?
Well, yes/no. The PCA rack is not drilled for the lighting kit. You will need to modify the PCA rack (ie drill necessary hole) yourself. I have the admore kit that came with my PCA and Givi V46 setup. I haven't installed mine yet (just 'cuz I'm lazy/got more important things to do). I rarely remove the V46 (I ride with trunk, no sidebags, as I did on my Concours for 15 years. easier to lane split in SoCal that way) so removal isn't an issue for me. But it looks like it would be fine. You use the exact wiring regardless of rack, so the method of attachment is the same.

That is the rack and $18.50 mounting kit I have

As I wrote earlier - if you are only going to use the rack only with the Givi, I'd go with the smaller/lighter/cheaper https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Top...ack_p/11997.htm The excess width on the Sport Touring rack serves no purpose when used with the Givi mounting kit and a Givi box other than adding weight (small amount, but not 0).

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like there are now two more options. I see on the Givi site that they have a plate that mounts above the stock Yami grab rail/tail piece.

<Link1> Option 4a. Givi P/N E228 - (uses a MONORACK 5 top plate)

<Link2> Option 4b. Givi P/N E228M - (uses a MONORACK 5M top plate)

I found this after having problems installing my new SR357 (Givi tubular steel support).

I still haven't figured out what the problem is, but it looks like I have the wrong spacers. I'm debating whether I should try to get the right parts to install the SR557 or exchange it for a E228.

I went with option 2, 50k miles and no issues. In fact I just checked the subframe/rack not long ago for signs of fatigue/failure. Solid as a rock even after bumpy Colorado road patch jobs and a notoriously heavy E460.

...Are you aware that the tubular steel Givi racks have broken in the past, as have the factory plastic racks...

...Yes, I've seen the report of a broken GIVI rack here. I can not find another single instance of one breaking other than the oft referenced David Morrow rack. ..
Well, Fred, NOW you have.
biggrin.gif

Noticed the case bouncing a bit the other day.

(Taking it to a welder tomorrow. Just regular steel, right?)

IMG_3214.jpg

I'm very disappointed in GIVI.

I reckon this is telling me that it's NOT okay to carry 30-packs of Budweiser in my E52.

Recently installed an E55 with the Givi replacement rail and plate. Fit well and feels very sturdy. At the completion of a 2600 mile ride, tried to push a curb out of my way with the front end of the FJR. Enough force to bend the front forks. The top box did not move and no other signs of damage or stress to the rail. YMMV!

So, what are ya sayin', Dave? Are ya sayin' I'm abusing my GIVI? That I should give up beer?

That Sacramento Mike had something to do with the failure?

smile.gif
I thought you drank better beer. :huh:

Just because it says "light", it's not.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Are you aware that the tubular steel Givi racks have broken in the past, as have the factory plastic racks...

...Yes, I've seen the report of a broken GIVI rack here. I can not find another single instance of one breaking other than the oft referenced David Morrow rack. ..
Well, Fred, NOW you have.
biggrin.gif

Noticed the case bouncing a bit the other day.

(Taking it to a welder tomorrow. Just regular steel, right?)

IMG_3214.jpg

I'm very disappointed in GIVI.

I reckon this is telling me that it's NOT okay to carry 30-packs of Budweiser in my E52.
Wow. That is a really odd place to have had a rack break. :huh: The tab that broke off only supports one of the four bolts that go up through the trunk plate.

I think the other few that have broken were in the main tubing that supports the whole affair.

Still, a pretty good track record, IMO. After all, it did take revival of a 2 year old zombie thread to record this new "failure". If the shy is falling, at least it's happening pretty slowly. ;)