Givi V46 top case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okmac

Reaction score
I an wanting to install brake lights in my Givi V46 top case and the instructions tell me to first remove the lid of the top case per Givi's instructions. I have looked all over but either I lost the instructions or I never got them. I would imagine that you need to remove the red plate under the top cover but the square plastic " nut " holding it at the top has got me confused. Don't want to break anything trying to get it off so I thought I would ask someone on the forum as I am sure many people have done it.

Waiting for help.

Many thanks ahead of time.

Mac

That red lid is ment to be a document holder. That's not a red nut, it's a clasp, just give a good yank and it'll pop down. Mine is in the trash since it's about a useless item IMO. To remove the lid, there are 4 screws holding everything in inder the lid. Yo might need to pry a tad to get everything free after removing the screws.

B)

That red lid is ment to be a document holder. That's not a red nut, it's a clasp, just give a good yank and it'll pop down. Mine is in the trash since it's about a useless item IMO. To remove the lid, there are 4 screws holding everything in inder the lid. Yo might need to pry a tad to get everything free after removing the screws.
B)
Thanks for the input, I now have the document holder off and the two side reflectors off. I removed one screw that apparently is to hold the middle reflector on but it is still firmly attached. Now I am stopped again. Cannot find anymore screws and am sure there must some more around to remove.

Sorry to be such a idot on this but I still need help.

Thanks

Mac

I believe there are 5 screws total inside the case's top half that you need to remove. One on each side that you apparently removed to get the side reflectors off. That one screw in the middle (that appears to hold the middle reflector/chrome Givi logo) which I take you took off already. Then 2 more screws on each side of the top latching area - they screw in toward the back of the case. You actually only need to loosen these, not fully remove them. Then with your thumbs, grab the bottom of the middle reflector where you removed that one middle screw and pry the cover off (I believe the middle reflector and top cover come off together).

I believe there are 5 screws total inside the case's top half that you need to remove. One on each side that you apparently removed to get the side reflectors off. That one screw in the middle (that appears to hold the middle reflector/chrome Givi logo) which I take you took off already. Then 2 more screws on each side of the top latching area - they screw in toward the back of the case. You actually only need to loosen these, not fully remove them. Then with your thumbs, grab the bottom of the middle reflector where you removed that one middle screw and pry the cover off (I believe the middle reflector and top cover come off together).
Thanks for the info but I guess I am blind and stupid, I even got the wife out to look for the last two screws but to no avail. Gez, I hate that . If I ask you real nice, I will even get on my knees , would you send a picture of where they are. As far as I and the Wife can see there are no more screws on the inside of the case. I know I am going to feel real dumb when I find them.

I think I need a drink.

Mac

No sweat, just don't steal my stick on LED light idea... Only kidding! :) Makes better use of that space than the 'document holder' - huh??

P1010059_rs.jpg

No sweat, just don't steal my stick on LED light idea... Only kidding! :) Makes better use of that space than the 'document holder' - huh??

P1010059_rs.jpg
I cannot thank you enough for the picture, that is where I thought the screws would have to be. However my top case just has a hole where you show the screws. I put a small screw driver in the hole and found nothing, I pushed on it and could move the top lid if I pushed real hard but it is still attached somewhere else. But close to that hole on each side. Someone up there does not like me.

:dribble: I just don't know what to do now. I have a neat light system to install but cannot get the damn lid off. I still am controlling my temper but I may just cut loose and tear the damn thing off and order a new lid.

I am on my second drink now, I think I will think about it tonight and tackle it again tomorrow.

Thanks to all

Mac

P1010059_rs.jpg
Yippee, I got it off, Guess what, Givi didn't put any screws in those two holes in my top case, They were really playing with my mind, a very small thing to play with. :blink: I was very nervous about pushing too hard on a plastic case but when I looked at your picture I figured all I had to do was apply a little more pressure, and guess what it popped off.

Thanks again for the picture, that was what solved the problem. Givi owes me one, at least they owe me two screws. I guess I will have to buy my own.

Thanks for keeping me from going totally nuts. :clapping:

Mac

Are you prying the red plastic center reflector off in the direction shown here? And not just pushing on the screwdriver inside those screw holes...

P1010059a_rs.jpg

I'm uploading a series of 18 pics to photobucket. Once there uploaded, I'll build a FAQ on the replacement of the Givi V46 lid. And yep, there were 5 screws, I missed the one on a quick look before the first reply.

Looks like our last posts crossed paths. :coolsmiley: Glad you got it off. I was beginning to go nuts myself wondering if I was missing something. Would have hated to see you have to damage the cover to get it off. :eek: What light kit are you putting on?

I purchased a light kit from Fred H. from Ft. Worth , Tx. He is on this forum and the pictures he displayed looked great. Anything I can do to light up my rear end is ok in my book.

Tomorrow I will attempt the install, I sure hope it goes better then removing the lid did. ( Did I say that ) :yahoo:

Once again the people on this forum came thru, What a great group.

Many thanks

Mac

I guess you don't meed my faq now :glare:

Glad you got the lid off B) I may go make that faq anyway :p

If you have the pictures already taken, I think the FAQ is a great idea to illustrate the whole process. I'm sure it will be found useful in the future.

If you have the pictures already taken, I think the FAQ is a great idea to illustrate the whole process. I'm sure it will be found useful in the future.
So I figgured, and made a FAQ B) Might help okmac put the lid back on after

Last edited by a moderator: