Glove Box problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRMGM

FJRMGM
Reaction score
OK, for some reason my glove box won't open.

It was working fine and I usually open it at least once a week but now the latch won't release. If I didn't have some stuff in it I need, like registration and proof of insurance I wouldn't worry about it.

Suggestions, Mr. Spock?

Last edited by a moderator:
Key in the "On" position?

Tranny in Neutral?

(Don't flame me for asking the obvious...having broken the latch on my G-box when I first got the bike qualifies me to ask such silly questions)

Logic would dictate an error in the photon reactor. I suggest you investigate the fuse, the electrical plug connection or the delicate nylon latch mechanism. If all else fails, set to phaser setting 6 (Disruptive Effects) and blast away.

71_phaser.jpg

-Spock
spock.gif

Force it open. I've done it to mine without any ill effects. Push hard on the button then pry the door up, all with fingers. Or you could take the plastic off and troubleshoot the thing.

OK,  for some reason my glove box won't open. 
It was working fine and I usually open it at least once a week but now the latch won't release.  If I didn't have some stuff in it I need, like registration and proof of insurance I wouldn't worry about it.

Suggestions, Mr. Spock?
Do you hear the little 'click' sound when the bike is put into neutral?

I'm not one for the prying method, but if all else fails. :p

pACE-976331dt.jpg

Mine hangs up sporadically as well; I think it just binds at the latch. "On", neutral, a little tug or sometimes just push to loosen the bind works.

yeah...has happenned to me too, untill I did the following: apply some silicone paste to the the tab and latch parts. While your at it, do the gear hinges of the door as well with same lube. You will find it will become faultless as a result! :assasin:

UPDATE - I got it open but it didn't want to. Lubed it up and need to check the fuse for this in the near future.

I really just wanted to get my registration and proof of insurance out of the box so if it doesn't work anymore then I will use the "foam fix:.

UPDATE - I got it open but it didn't want to. Lubed it up and need to check the fuse for this in the near future.
You can hear or feel (touching the inside of the pocket under the latch) the solenoid click when you turn the key on or off.

New info- Mine wouldn't open when I picked it up last Saturday. After forcing it, and pulling apart too much plastic, I discovered that the button had disengaged from the latch slide. I pried up the button, then partially pressed the latch slide into position, and put the button back into place so it engaged the slide properly. The latch slide springs too far across the opening if the button gets pulled up for some reason, so yours may be doing the same thing. HTH

I found that when I put in the cell phone, a pair of riding gloves, the alarm and garage remotes, my sun and reading glasses and my wallet that occassionally it would bind up the latch mechanism. So I've been leaving the sun glasses at home. :agent: