Glove Maintnece

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bes

Reaction score
Hi guys---I have always conditioned the tops of my gloves with mink oil---put them on the wrong hands and rub the mink between the palms(really the backs since they are on backwards)---Aerostitch's Zen of Glove maintence....My question is why just the tops? Want to condition my Held kangaroo gauntlets---GREAT gloves. Top or top and bottom? Thanks Barry

I use mink oil top and bottom on my Held Phantoms. Six years and still in good shape.

I use mink oil over the entire glove. Slather it up, work it in and hang it up on of of those clippy plastic hangers overnight. Next day wipe off the excess then hang up for another day. Then wipe off again and into the saddlebag the go.

SHE: "Would you like that pile of rags washing, honey-bunch?" ***

ME: "Yes please, my love."

SHE: "Put them in the washing machine, then, my dear."

ME: "OK, sweetheart, thank-you."

I Collect piles of rags from around garage and put them in the washing machine.

ME: They're all in, sweetie-pie."

She starts washing machine, then goes out shopping, leaves me in charge.

You can see where this is going, can't you?

Time passes. Washing machine finishes its final spin. Meanwhile, it has started raining. Looks like it's in for the rest of the day.

So I take the stuff out off the washing machine, put it in the tumble dryer.

You know what is happening, don't you?

More time passes. The dryer bleeps the end of its cycle.

I take out the rags, and my gloves. (You knew that was coming, didn't you?)

They're Triumph branded, leather and I think Cordura, my first pair I got when I re-started motorcycling in 2001. I only got another pair after these were about 5 years old, too cold, and had started letting in water. I now use them as "summer gloves".

So, how have they faired?

They're clean, dry, feel ever so soft, don't seem to have come to any harm at all, even the piece of adhesive tape I put round a finger to cover a rip I put in during an unfortunate incident is still intact.

I'm not advocating putting leather gloves into a washing machine then a dryer, but doesn't seem to do as much harm as you might think.

*** The quotations are not necessarily verbatim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I have washed leather gloves & had horrid results. Live & learn!

Personally, I have washed leather gloves & had horrid results. Live & learn!
Oh yeah! I inadvertently washed a nearly new pair. You'd have thought I threw in a packet of black dye.
I am speaking of liner out of the fingers & dangling inside out & never want to go back in... & then there is the actual ruining of the leather... & the dye thing, too.

What part of the mink do they squeeze to get this oil? Does the mink mind?

Gloves and other leather stuff lasts longer if it is cleaned occasionally, or so I've read. Once a year, I've always just washed my gloves on my hands, using mild dish washing soap ("kind to hands"), just as though I was washing my hands. Rinse thoroughly, let dry as long as it takes, then slather with mink oil, let dry as stated above. Mink oil is probably not so good for the fabric part of summer gloves, so avoid that part. I think the mink likes it, too. WBill

Can't remember where I read it (or heard it) but...........

Apparently the best treatment for leather gloves (or any other leather) is skin conditioner. It is formulated for skin and leather is............? Doesn't have to be particularly expensive.

I personally wouldn't wash them except to use saddle soap, then I have this leather conditioner which is mostly beeswax (waterproofing). Use sparingly and hand rub in everywhere. Lexol is a good conditioner too. If you wash leather or get them totally wet (soaked), you should control its drying, slowly, no dryer, and occasionally put your hand in to keep the sizing intact. Then the leather may get harder as it dries out, just treat with your favourite mink oil/conditioner/whatever to get the softness back.

Every winter I put them on and grab a thick coat of vasoline then rub it in for 5 minutes, then let them dry out for a month or two. Restores the color and keeps them soft. Seems to work well

I just spray with Lexol and "wash my hands" and let dry and use a rag to dry them. Except my MotoPort Kevlar Racing gloves they just get washed in the rain and dry out well.

Latest posts