Glove Recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunMD

Reaction score
I've been using Joe Rocket Nova gloves:

g9083.jpg

They don't seem to last long. I got a few months and about 10k miles outta the current pair and the fingers on the clutch side are now ventilated.

What do you recommend?

I bought some blue Joe Rocket Phoenix gloves and they have lasted a long time. They may do you well in the 29 Palms area, as they work for me in San Diego. I plan on using them all year 'round. The leather on the palm side seems to be lasting quite well, I'm not experiencing your finger ventilation problem. The other thing I like about them is that they are ventilated on top, and are a bit cooler than full leather.

John

I'm on my second pair of JR gloves and have no complaints. My first pair the velcro patch stitching was coming off after about 18,000 miles. They the Blaster model. This new pair are called Highsides I beleive. Both are the gauntlet style so maybe they're made a bit more sturdy than the short cuff style. I recommend them for the price. Newenough.com often has last year's models on clearance for cheap.

Mike

I have been using Joe Rocket summer gloves similar to what you have shown. I like them and would replace them with like kind when needed. At lease until today. I was at the local Yamaha dealer (Yamaha of Napa, https://www.yamahaofnapa.com) and saw some Yamaha branded gloves that are similar, and they look great. I didn't notice how much they were. I was afraid to ask. I want them.

Bike Effects, could you please tell me the specific model of gloves you were impressed with? Or better yet, post a picture?

Joe Rocket gloves do look good,, but I have had problems with the wrist bands coming lose,, I am using Icon heavy duty gloves,,, they took some breaking in but they wear like iron,,,

well, if you don't mind spending way too much, and sporting a BMW lable, the BMW GS gloves are really nice summer gloves.

Bike Effects, could you please tell me the specific model of gloves you were impressed with? Or better yet, post a picture?
I'll go back down there today and get the information. You realize of course, that this may cost me money!

I've got a pair of HELD gloves and they are awesome!
I own a patch proclaiming me as an "Official Crash Tester" of Held gloves. Something that I earned, but I am not proud of. I had a serous get off and the gloves did well, and the dealer repaired them.

This instance did show me that it takes some serious gloves, if you have a get off.

newenough.com has some good prices on some of the closeouts. I have, and really like, the Teknic Lightning gloves. I don't feel comfortable wearing anything other than gauntlet style gloves. Link to the closeout gloves

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike Effects,

Don't make a trip over to the dealer on my account! I thought maybe you knew what they were called...when I checked the Yam site there were quite a few different ones. No big deal.

Bike Effects, could you please tell me the specific model of gloves you were impressed with?  Or better yet, post a picture?
Maybe they were this killer summer-mesh beauties here?

spb03gnmbl-500.jpg

spb03gnmrd-500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for the Held gloves. I've crashed a few times on the track and once on the street. they are about the only thing that I really trust. I have another pair of Alpinestar Tech Road gloves (can't remember the name but they have carbon knuckles and goretex liner) that I use in the rain. they are waterproof. except the rain that comes in from my sleeve. ;)

but yes, if you can afford them, the Helds are the way to go. you only have one set of fingers. :)

even if you can't afford them. buy them anyway. if you can afford an FJR you can afford good safety gear.

Jeff