Go Buy a REAL Motorcycle!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Kimber 45 and love it:https://tinyurl.com/4v3aa
That's the one I want!

I had a beautiful Colt Gold Cup, but stupidly sold it...

bought it used, the woner said it kept hanging up on recoil...

Truth was, he was cocking his wrist like the cowboy pictures... and catching the brass... I had no problems with it...

but got to shoot my buddy's Kimber... sweet!

Mary

That's the one I want!

Truth was, he was cocking his wrist like the cowboy pictures... and catching the brass... I had no problems with it...

Mary
Classic definition of "Limp Wristing". As you know a semi-auto needs a firm wrist to cycle properly. Many misfeeds are blamed on many other factors when indeed it is this.

Now before someone starts saying this is my problem with my springfield. It only happens with one clip and not the other, thank you very much :D

That's the one I want!

Mary
I have been VERY happy with the Kimber. It feeds and shoots everything I have fed it..even those big flat hollowpoints. Got about 1000 rounds through it an not one problem. Easy to clean and just plain fun to shoot.

I got a good deal on it at my local shop here, most of the other models were around $1000.00 and up ..but this one was there hard to find base piece for $800.00

Don't feel bad..I sold my Gold Cup too.

Oddly the one I miss the most was the .380 Governent model ....

KM

"I have problems with the shot gun.While I believe most will just haul ass if they hear you pump it, unless you have training in moving around in small areas, pumping it quickly etc a shot gun can be a hand full for some inside your house... "

Luckily at home I would not be doing much moving around. If I grabbed the 12 gauge It would likely be pointed at my closed bedroom door, with barrel resting on the corner of the bed while my other had was occupied with calling the police on the phone.

I would not conduct search missions. As you said , if the sound of the pump being cycled did not persuade an intruder to leave...I would back myself into a secure position and wait.

And if a guy is 21 feet away from me and all he has is a knife..I don't think I would be overly worried...I can draw fast..but more than likely I can run much faster....

KM
The drill shows only 1.5 seconds for someone to cover 21 feet and an expert to draw a gun 1.3 seconds... but again more than even this they most likely won't let you know they have a knife even this far away or close depending on how you look at it...

That's the one I want!

Mary
I have been VERY happy with the Kimber. It feeds and shoots everything I have fed it..even those big flat hollowpoints. Got about 1000 rounds through it an not one problem. Easy to clean and just plain fun to shoot.

I got a good deal on it at my local shop here, most of the other models were around $1000.00 and up ..but this one was there hard to find base piece for $800.00

KM
Note knifemaker your kimber is not the same as the mil spec design I speak of.

The more modern 1911 are just that modern :D Of course many still have the manual extractor some have a spring...

Classic definition of "Limp Wristing". As you know a semi-auto needs a firm wrist to cycle properly. Many misfeeds are blamed on many other factors when indeed it is this.
On of the guys on the pistol team had this problem... wasn't till we stood there and watched him and saw what he was doing.... He still didint'want to believe us... but he finally did...his scores went way up...<BG>

Mary

I have been VERY happy with the Kimber. It feeds and shoots everything I have fed it..even those big flat hollowpoints. Got about 1000 rounds through it an not one problem. Easy to clean and just plain fun to shoot.I got a good deal on it at my local shop here, most of the other models were around $1000.00 and up ..but this one was there hard to find base piece for $800.00

KM
Way cool... A good deal is always great! Especially on something as nice as the Kimber.

Got a chance to shoot a few of my buddy's guns, the .44 was a bit hard on the wrist...

He's going to help me find a Kimber... <G>

I'm still looking for a carry piece tho..he thinks I should have a hammerless or shielded revolver, I prefer an auto.. Since I was on a pistol team, I'm just more used to the auto... oh well...<G>

Mary

Well, I actualy prefer a knife. Guns make too much noise...lol

Most visitors to Casa Knifemaker are used to fact that I have ALOT of knives and swords about. Siting here on the couch typing this I can count 4 within reach , and a Katana about 10 feet away. The firearms are quite a walk however..back in the bedroom.

That post about folks getting shot and still having the abiiltiy to hurt you does seem possible. But I am willing to bet that ANYONE that lets me get one good pass at them with one of my katanas won't be doing jack.

And I also doubt that anyone that takes a head shot from any large caliber gun is going to be much of a threat.

KM

Well, I actualy prefer a knife. Guns make too much noise...lol
Most visitors to Casa Knifemaker are used to fact that I have ALOT of knives and swords about. Siting here on the couch typing this I can count 4 within reach , and a Katana about 10 feet away. The firearms are quite a walk however..back in the bedroom.

That post about folks getting shot and still having the abiiltiy to hurt you does seem possible. But I am willing to bet that ANYONE that lets me get one good pass at them with one of my katanas won't be doing jack.

And I also doubt that anyone that takes a head shot from any large caliber gun is going to be much of a threat.

KM
Yea, I prefer to just try and keep my bad attitude to myself now that I have made it this far I would like to live to see my 80's :D

Last edited by a moderator:
"I'm still looking for a carry piece tho..he thinks I should have a hammerless or shielded revolver, I prefer an auto.. Since I was on a pistol team, I'm just more used to the auto"

Well if you can find one, the Colt Goverment .380 was a fine little carry piece. It was NOT a blowback pistol like most of the .380's out there, but was the delayed blowback like the 1911...So it was alot more pleasent to shoot.

They made a "Full size" one with a 3 inch barrel I think, and they made one called the Mustang or something that was a chopped versoin. (like it was not small enough already)

These of course are sought after and hard to find at gun shows. Mine had the Coltguard finish on it. It held 6 rounds , 7/w one in the chamber, and like the 1911 was a Single action.

I kept it loaded with 4 Glaser Safety Slugs and 2 handloaded JHP's.

KM

Well if you can find one, the Colt Goverment .380 was a fine little carry piece. It was NOT a blowback pistol like most of the .380's out there, but was the delayed blowback like the 1911...So it was alot more pleasent to shoot.They made a "Full size" one with a 3 inch barrel I think, and they made one called the Mustang or something that was a chopped versoin. (like it was not small enough already)
I have one of those - I never was a big fan of it... It is super compact though.

[Yea, I prefer to just try and keep my bad attitude to myself now that I have made it this far I would like to live to see my 80's :D
I was not inferring I am some kind of bad ass. (likely just the opposite) As my ID states..I make knives, and have collected them since I was a kid.

The point however is wound trauma, and that is what we are talking about when we discuss a weapons ability to "end" a confrontation.

The way the body deals with trauma is of course diffrent for each person, but "stopping power" is really just a measure of how much trauma a certain gun/caliber can inflict. Alot is said about how effective a round is in this regard. I must of course point out that a "one shot" stop is great...but one may find that multiple shots are required. Enough trauma and even the most flipped out PCP junkie will fall.

One of the reasons that a sword is a deadly weapon is because it can introduce massive trauma very quickly. A .357 round can "upset" a sofball sized cavity and shock a body with the resultant trauma...so it should not be hard to see that if you cut someone from the top of the neck to their knee you would in fact be creating a huge wound channel. Spilling someones guts in front of them also has a great psycological effect..not even counting the amount of trauma involved.

And anything that can disconnect a persons brain from controlling their body is quite usefull. It does not have to be lethal, as electric stun guns have shown.

Learning to avoid conflict of course is the most sensable path ....

KM

[Yea, I prefer to just try and keep my bad attitude to myself now that I have made it this far I would like to live to see my 80's  :D
I was not inferring I am some kind of bad ass. (likely just the opposite) As my ID states..I make knives, and have collected them since I was a kid.

The point however is wound trauma, and that is what we are talking about when we discuss a weapons ability to "end" a confrontation.

The way the body deals with trauma is of course diffrent for each person, but "stopping power" is really just a measure of how much trauma a certain gun/caliber can inflict. Alot is said about how effective a round is in this regard. I must of course point out that a "one shot" stop is great...but one may find that multiple shots are required. Enough trauma and even the most flipped out PCP junkie will fall.

One of the reasons that a sword is a deadly weapon is because it can introduce massive trauma very quickly. A .357 round can "upset" a sofball sized cavity and shock a body with the resultant trauma...so it should not be hard to see that if you cut someone from the top of the neck to their knee you would in fact be creating a huge wound channel. Spilling someones guts in front of them also has a great psycological effect..not even counting the amount of trauma involved.

And anything that can disconnect a persons brain from controlling their body is quite usefull. It does not have to be lethal, as electric stun guns have shown.

Learning to avoid conflict of course is the most sensable path ....

KM
I was only speaking of myself not trying to imply anything of anyone. Just saying that in my younger years I had enough of getting into fights in bars, most of the time no reason at all.

I had enough close calls that I now prefer to drink at home :D

I had one guy see me just grab my wife's arm because I didn't hear what she said and he took that as me assulting her. Well, he got the worse end of that but his brother was the bouncer, didn't think I was going to make it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a firearms guru like some who've posted, but I do have some advise. Don't use snake-shot rounds in a semi... jams the piss out of them. Missed the first time... jam... pissed off copperhead... oh shit.

"I'm still looking for a carry piece tho..he thinks I should have a hammerless or shielded revolver, I prefer an auto.. Since I was on a pistol team, I'm just more used to the auto"

Well if you can find one, the Colt Goverment .380 was a fine little carry piece. It was NOT a blowback pistol like most of the .380's out there, but was the delayed blowback like the 1911...So it was alot more pleasent to shoot.

They made a "Full size" one with a 3 inch barrel I think, and they made one called the Mustang or something that was a chopped versoin. (like it was not small enough already)

These of course are sought after and hard to find at gun shows. Mine had the Coltguard finish on it. It held 6 rounds , 7/w one in the chamber, and like the 1911 was a Single action.

I kept it loaded with 4 Glaser Safety Slugs and 2 handloaded JHP's.

KM
Thanks... something else to look for... I love shopping! <G>

mary

The Harley FAD! I am surrounded by Harley Riders. I have owned alot of bikes never an HD. I have ridden them even the infamous V- rod their crap. I some times cannot help riding by one then blow it away. Now for everybody out there this is the big secret. And please keep it a secret. Harley can charge alot for these things because of one thing demand! So I hope the demand for HD stays high and premium Jap Sport Tour bikes stay low. Then I can purchase bikes I like to RIDE for a bargain price.

The Harley FAD! I am surrounded by Harley Riders. I have owned alot of bikes never an HD. I have ridden them even the infamous V- rod their crap. I some times cannot help riding by one then blow it away. Now for everybody out there this is the big secret. And please keep it a secret. Harley can charge alot for these things because of one thing demand! So I hope the demand for HD stays high and premium Jap Sport Tour bikes stay low. Then I can purchase bikes I like to RIDE for a bargain price.
Gosh, that's a novel post/attitude/concept/thought/...

Talk about the thread that wouldn't die. How did this turn into an OT firearms thread?

Admins? Eject, eject!

P.S. Anyone into shotguns? Trap and skeet? I have an old Winchester 1200, high mileage and definitely a ticker :rolleyes: .

Talk about the thread that wouldn't die. How did this turn into an OT firearms thread?Admins? Eject, eject!

P.S. Anyone into shotguns? Trap and skeet? I have an old Winchester 1200, high mileage and definitely a ticker :rolleyes: .
I've got a Winchester Model 12, 34" barrel, Full choke.

FAD? I don't think so. A fad is a here-today-gone-tomorrow, 15-minutes-of-fame thing, like hula hoops and John Kerry. :) (couldn't help myself)

Being a fad hasn't kept HD in business for over 100 years. Their success is based on marketing a lifestyle, not selling motorcycles. It's no different than Dasani selling a bottle of water for $2 or Doc Martin selling a pair of butt-ugly shoes for $200. It's all in the marketing.

Know what the difference is between a J.C. Penney T-shirt and a Tommy Hilfiger T-Shirt? About $25 and some pinhead thinking the Tommy T is worth the extra $25.