Going across the USA on my motorcycle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Have about 3 weeks vacation from work. Me and my buddy from work are taking our motorcycles from Los Angeles, CA to the east coast.

No plans, no agendas, just riding wherever the road takes us.

Today we rode from L.A. to Flagstaff, AZ. We're pretty tired so we're crashing here for the night. Tomorrow we're thinking of heading out to Albuquerque, NM.

So far so good, bikes are running great. We both have '07 Yamaha FJRs

Keep you guys posted on our progress.

myke

Have about 3 weeks vacation from work. Me and my buddy from work are taking our motorcycles from Los Angeles, CA to the east coast.
No plans, no agendas, just riding wherever the road takes us.

Today we rode from L.A. to Flagstaff, AZ. We're pretty tired so we're crashing here for the night. Tomorrow we're thinking of heading out to Albuquerque, NM.

So far so good, bikes are running great. We both have '07 Yamaha FJRs

Keep you guys posted on our progress.

myke
Sounds like a great time. Enjoy!

If you have no agenda,I'd suggest not just going straight across,each time you get to a mountain range go north/south though them using a different route.Then move to the next one and do the same.Three weeks is a lot of time(at least enough to check out the ranges(get some use out of those tires before they log to many miles on straight roads).Have a nice ride.

Here's a couple of pictures from today.

Starting the day off right. Me and my good buddy having brunch at the famous Pantry restaurant in L.A. This is actually where we start our roadtrips, kinda like a tradition :cool:

img4977tp0.jpg

Crossing into the Arizona from the 40E. It was mostly desert.

img4988ny0.jpg

We were riding at night and temps dropped to 49* pretty cold.

I'll post more pics when I get the chance :)

myke

Ohhhhhh Man!!!!

Wish I was with you guys. I'm planning a big trip myself. Starting in West Palm Beach, FL to Chicago to visit a life long U.S. Navy friend by way of the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC. I know it's not a continuous road anymore but, I will find every piece of it and enjoy the hell out the rest. All secondary roads for me!!

I have the actual intersection on a map where Route 66 starts on the Chicago lake front, then follow Route 66 to the Santa Monica Pier in CA. I spent 2 weeks in Albuquerque, NM last year on business and had a blast hanging out on Main Street where the University of NM is. (Route 66). Went Bar & Restaurant hopping there for the whole time. Alot of old historical stuff is still there. Took the Tram to the top of Sandia Peak. Ran into a group of lovely ladies on vacation from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and had the time of my life!!! Then I'll take the southern way (I10) back home.

I have a friend who wants to come with me but, he's a "Destination" guy. (100mph non-stop all day to get to a particular point!!) NOT FOR ME!!

I'm a "Journey" guy. (I don't care if it takes me all day to past through one little town if the people are nice and the town is pretty!!) I THINK I'LL GO SOLO!!

Have fun guys!!! I am eating my HEART OUT!!!!!!

I will keep tabs on you trip! Please send many Pics. I'm hating the both of you right now a little bit!! Be Safe.

Would love to take such a ride. When you get East save time for:

TN: The Natchez Trace

TN/NC: Cherohela Skyway (https://www.cherohala.com/)

TN/NC: Tail of the Dragon (https://www.tailofthedragon.com/)

WV: Has beautiful roads all over it. I would suggest the Blue Ridge Parkway, but NOT the whole thing. You'll miss some amazing other roads if you do that. Rt16, Rt39, Rt50, Rt250, Rt219, OH so many great raods!!

Once you get 75 miles east of the Apilachian mountains things start to flatten out.

I'm so jealous.

Damn...you lucky Bastage!! :dribble: I wish I could get several weeks in row off for a trip like that..but alas my company will only allow us to take a week at a time. Maybe it's time for a job change for me! :blink:

Have a great time on your trip and post lots of pics so the rest of us working bums can drool.

Hey, sounds like a great trip.

Ever been this way before?

If in Albq find Sadies for great food.

If you can head on up SH-14, east of Albq and stop in at Madrid on the way to Santa Fe and Taos. Wonderful riding up that way. If not too cold and you have never been hop on up to CO for a couple of days riding.

Best to you.

Be sure to post your ride report so we can enjoy that.

Lee

Where abouts on the east coast ary you heading?

I think Arcadia national park in Maine is the furthest most point on the east coast.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great opportunity. I'd love to ride coast to coast. It's on the top of my list of things to do. Ride safe! Let us know how it goes.