Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for the even wear, I ran it at 32 lbs typically.

Rim was repaired by Dr. John's Motorcycle Frame Straightening in Anaheim, CA.

They said there were two dents in the rim. The day before I rode 900 miles. There was no significant hit immediately prior to the loss of pressure, or anything I can specifically point to...

What caused the rim to split? I've never seem one do that before unless it took a hard shot, like running over a deep pothole, and then there is usually some distortion of the rim.

Is it possible that this was somehow either caused or precipitated by running the CT?

I can't think how this would be, but the coincidence demands further inspection.
+1

I've seen bent rims, never cracked.

I also want to know why the compressor wouldn't fill the tire? That is not a problem on a m/c tire - repair, air up, and no damage to the tire.

I also want to know why the compressor wouldn't fill the tire? That is not a problem on a m/c tire - repair, air up, and no damage to the tire.
The portable compressor wouldn't fill the tire because the split in the rim caused the tire to lose all pressure and it would not hold air.

The repair shop says there were two dents in the rim, but there is nothing I can specifically point to that caused the split.

Perhaps Doug has found the beginnings of a cure for this CT cancer that has infected parts of our community. ;)

In the decade I have been involved in this platform, I have never, EVER seen or heard of a FJR rear rim "splitting" in this manner.

Until now.

Is it coincidental that the SOLE instance TMK of a rear rim splitting happen to be on a CT? I dunno. Shall we all just fucking guess at it? I have no idea if the stiff sidewalls transfer more pressure on the rim....or maybe lateral loads is all dicked up and cracks aluminum over time... I dunno if any of this shit happens.

And I damn sure don't care to find out.

If this whole CT fucked-up-ness wasn't one goofy-ass concept before, it seems even further questionable now. And all simply to extend treadlife. Unbelievable.

The portable compressor wouldn't fill the tire because the split in the rim caused the tire to lose all pressure and it would not hold air.
Duh. I was overthinking that one.

Glad all this happend now my friend, and not in 10 days or so!

Bah!! The tire had nothing to do with the rim split... :rolleyes:

Nope! never going to convince me of that poop. These rims are as heavy as any automotive rims I've ever seen. Some of the lightweights are thinner walled than these.

I'm still convinced the car tire saved me from buying a rim after last years near get off from a pothole :blink: Nope something else contributed to the split.

I'm glad some of our predecessors didn't listen to the naysayers..We'd be living in caves, playing with fire,tossing sticks at food, and walking beside horses.. :p

split.jpg

Thousands of forum members with motorcycle tires and never a report of a cracked rim.....not one.

A few dozen darksiders and one cracked rim.

Things that make you go, "Hmmmmm."
dry.gif

People should wonder about this and resist the Kool-aid.

C'mon guys....speculation does not a data-point make.

Did the car tire also cause the two dents reported by Doug? I'd think that whatever caused an aluminum rim to dent in two places could also cause a crack in one place. But I'm speculating too.

The repair shop had seen split rims like this before and described its location and placement over the phone as I described it.

I will call them tomorrow and see if I can get more info from them about this phenomenon in general and my specific one.

As I said, there was no notable hit prior to the split.

Even if, and I don't believe it did cause the wheel split, the CT still pencils in. In 45K I would have gone through 8 rear tires. At 150 apiece, that's 1200 clams. One new wheel can be found for around $350.

Any actuaries want to chime in?

But, but, but.....a split/cracked rim could cause flaming, plastic and aluminum death, dontcha know??? :p :p

Edit: I see beemerdons is reading this thread...stand by for "cat-blood drinking cultist" comment in....

THREE

TWO

ONE

Last edited by a moderator:
But, but, but.....a split/cracked rim could cause flaming, plastic and aluminum death, dontcha know??? :p :p

Edit: I see beemerdons is reading this thread...stand by for "cat-blood drinking cultist" comment in....

THREE

TWO

ONE

Yeah right, as if we're going to believe anything this Manatee screwing doofus has to say! Really!

RadioHowieDosEq.jpg

But seriously, well as serious as Papa Chuy can ever get, I still fail to see how there can be any correlation between that split in the rim and a car tire. Doug may not remember the exact incident, probably concentrating on the crazy LA drivers, but that sure looks like damage from an impact with a pothole or a paving stone to me!

Having grown up on Brit bikes in the 60's (Triumph 500, BSA 441, Norton 750!) that looks like any other split in a rim on a Limey bike I ever had, usually from hitting a brick on the Santa Ana Freeway! I am not a car tire on a bike fan, but I don't think a CT caused that!

Bah!! The tire had nothing to do with the rim split... :rolleyes:

Nope! never going to convince me of that poop. These rims are as heavy as any automotive rims I've ever seen. Some of the lightweights are thinner walled than these.

I'm still convinced the car tire saved me from buying a rim after last years near get off from a pothole :blink: Nope something else contributed to the split.

I'm glad some of our predecessors didn't listen to the naysayers..We'd be living in caves, playing with fire,tossing sticks at food, and walking beside horses.. :p
As much as it pains me to have to agree with this sick sheep shagging ****, I believe that Bust is right: I am just not following the logic that a car tire caused that split in a rim as heavy as an FJR rim is. I just can't blame the CT for this.

Now the CT Owner/Riders themselves: I blame those cretins for everything from global warming to the clap, I still maintain running a car tire is a jackass way to feck up a perfect handling motorcycle, the FJR. But each to their own folly!

BarryDosEquis.jpg

I still fail to see how there can be any correlation between that split in the rim and a car tire. Doug may not remember the exact incident, probably concentrating on the crazy LA drivers, but that sure looks like damage from an impact with a pothole or a paving stone to me!
You have the technical knowledge of a knat mi pappy. Stick to your burros.

I have never seen a cracked m/c rim like that. Just bent. But that's the thing, who knows what forces or stresses a car tire is or is not putting on the rim. Perhaps the stiffer sidewalls of a car tire transfer more force from hitting potholes or hazards than a m/c tire. Who knows. I do know I have never seen a cracked rim like that on an FJR.

As for jrfjr, dude, 45k miles is less than 4 m/c tires for me. And what about being stranded on a trip when you can't inflate a tire because of a crack? If you are trying to say it's acceptable to replace a rear rim every 45k miles, well, you need to do a bit better job of justifying things than that.

For that rim to crack it would take pressure far greater than what someone might put into a tire. It would take someone on a tire machine that applied too much downward force when using a pneumatic hydraulic tire machine.

For this rim to form a crack, it was caused by 1) damaged by a tire mounting machine, 2) struck an extremely hard object on the road, 3) the rim was damaged during production and slipped by quality control.

When my CT was mounted, it took just under a 100psi to seat it. I run 32psi in my tire all of the time, there is no way under normal conditions the rim could crack due to the use of a CT being used. The width is within specs, as is the diameter. How the hell could the rim know what was mounted on it anyway. This entire discussion is ridiculous.