Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone, thats Skooters daughter.... And your a sick bastard....
Smitty
No shit?!? I don't see the same ears, an she's a whole lot better looking than our hero, but on your word, I got some editing to do above!!

Rich! Really? See below.

To bad Skooter, you almost pulled it off.. Hey everyone, thats Skooters daughter.... And your a sick bastard....

Smitty
I call BullShit. There is no way that any woman who looked good enough to produce a daughter like that would ever mate with SkooterG.

Plus, as has been noted, she does not have those ears...

You sir, are a fart smeller. I have no children that I am aware of. If I did have a daughter that looked like that I would be in trouble and own a lot more firearms than I currently do.

As for hot women hanging out with me, well...... if you only knew! You see, I know how to dance pretty damned well. And big ears and dorky disposition notwithstanding, the ladies love a guy who can dance.

As for that trouble maker Smitty - he's just jealous.

BTW, that little Hottie showed me pics on her phone of a custom motorcycle shoot she did where she was done up in body paint only. HOLY SHIT!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, that little Hottie showed me pics on her phone of a custom motorcycle shoot she did where she was done up in body paint only. HOLY SHIT!!!
OK, so I've been had by Smitty. (Rather have been had by a hottie like that.) But that raises the question: did you consummate that union with said non-daughter? Because I've apparently committed, conditionally, to a car tire (after I go through the 2 sets of PR2s in the garage). So you can answer it like this: do I have to go to the darkside or not?
love.gif
love.gif

Hey Skoot...If that photoshoot were rge only pictures you got to see from her phone, you missed out. She has WAY better pictures stored in there...Trust me.

Glad to see you're having fun !!

OK fellas, I am going to give this Darksider thing a try. I am really tired of buying tires all the time. I usually run PR2 or 3s and use them up fairly quickly. I have a new PR2 on the front at the moment.

I just bought a used Exalto on ebay with 90% tread for $85.00. I referenced the FAQ for size and tire choice. I need to get the brake arm now. Do most people spend the $35.00 to get it from farklemasters or do you make your own?

OK fellas, I am going to give this Darksider thing a try. I am really tired of buying tires all the time. I usually run PR2 or 3s and use them up fairly quickly. I have a new PR2 on the front at the moment.
I just bought a used Exalto on ebay with 90% tread for $85.00. I referenced the FAQ for size and tire choice. I need to get the brake arm now. Do most people spend the $35.00 to get it from farklemasters or do you make your own?
I bought the one from farklemasters. I still needed to grind the end of it just a hair to fit the brake caliber.

I bought the one from farklemasters. I still needed to grind the end of it just a hair to fit the brake caliber.
For thickness?
No, the distance from the bolt hole to the end of the arm was just a little too long. The hole did not line up exactly with the hole in the brake caliber. About 30 seconds with a grinder fixed it.

On the brake stay, if you have or have access to a drill, hacksaw and file you can make one yourself. It goes quicker if you have a drill press, bandsaw and grinder, but it's really not that difficult for the average garage guy to do.

Most hardware stores have bar stock in various sizes. Some will even cut it for you if you ask. People have used 5/32" stainless, though I prefer 3/16" thick and most often use mild steel, then just paint it. I made a much thicker aluminum one originally, but am a machinist and had access to commercial shop tools.

Rounding the ends helps for clearance at the caliper, but if it's just a little long, just take it down until you have free movement and the hole lines up. It's not like it moves around when in place.

I ordered the farklemasters version. Thanks for the info.
Yer too fast! I have some extra material laying around from when I made mine and would have sent you a piece for nothing.

Thanks for the thought. I am quick to act once I have decided on a course of action. I am also a fast mover on the FJR and that is my only real concern with the CT on the bike. I will definitely put it through its paces. I will report back on how it behaves compared to my current set up. I commute 120 miles a day into Dallas. Half of that is on some nice but rough twisty back roads. I have every groove and bump memorized. I can place my tires through the grooves with little thought or concern. I will have to see how the exalto behaves in these situations.

Yessirrom:

You said: OK fellas, I am going to give this Darksider thing a try... I need to get the brake arm now. Do most people spend the $35.00 to get it from farklemasters or do you make your own?
Answer: I talked about this briefly here: CLICKY
Remove your existing brake-stay arm. Measure the length. Stop at the hardware store and pick up a piece of 3/16x3/4 inch steel. Put your existing aluminum arm on top of it. Mark where the holes are and figure out how large they are. Center punch holes. Drill em out. Hacksaw and file/bench-grind the bar to rough shape: You should be able to hit you're hole location within 1/16 inch easy, even with bifocals. Clean em up, sand em down a little, shoot a coat or two of paint on em.

Done. Takes about an hour total. MIght want to get some slightly shorter bolts to use to install it as it will be thinner than the factory unit. Use locktite or self lockng nuts.

Gary darksider #44

Yessirrom:You said: OK fellas, I am going to give this Darksider thing a try... I need to get the brake arm now. Do most people spend the $35.00 to get it from farklemasters or do you make your own?

Answer: I talked about this briefly here: CLICKY

Remove your existing brake-stay arm. Measure the length. Stop at the hardware store and pick up a piece of 3/16x3/4 inch steel. Put your existing aluminum arm on top of it. Mark where the holes are and figure out how large they are. Center punch holes. Drill em out. Hacksaw and file/bench-grind the bar to rough shape: You should be able to hit you're hole location within 1/16 inch easy, even with bifocals. Clean em up, sand em down a little, shoot a coat or two of paint on em.

Done. Takes about an hour total. MIght want to get some slightly shorter bolts to use to install it as it will be thinner than the factory unit. Use locktite or self lockng nuts.

Gary darksider #44
I ordered the farklemasters version. Thanks for the info.
I offered him some free stock but he'd already ordered one. Please try to keep up
rolleyes.gif

Just adding a data point for my Exalto, which I bought used with very few miles on it.... I've got 35,000 miles on it (56,000 kms), and it is just down to the little wear bars. It's got some life in it yet, and I'll do the EOM trip. There's a brand new one in the shop, and I'll likely change it out this winter. If I can get the old one off in one piece, I'll offer it up at that time for anyone who wants a low cost option to try it.

Though I have a few thousand miles (?) left on my rear PR2, I'm doing my homework now.

I currently run a Michelin Alpin PA3 ZP on my Wingabago, and haven't found a thing to complain about. I've noticed that the Michelin Exhalto AS seems to be the front runner of choice for the FJR, so I was leaning that direction, but another has blipped my radar: the Yokohama Avid Envigor. It's rated 560 A A for the 93 V... And only costs $108 versus $176 for the Exhalto (TireRack)

I did an archive search here and found several favorable comments on the Yokohama, going back to about 2010.

So my question is this: is there anyone who has tried both the Michelin AND the Yokohama who can highlight any significant differences between the two?

Most of my miles (85%+) are slab, I don't drag pegs, the FJR is strictly 1-up riding, and rain is mostly a rumor here in SoCal.

All other things being equal - or close to it - I'd rather put the $70 difference into the gas tank!

Thanks for any input.