Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess it comes down to what you'd pay for an ABS rim with a new Exalto already mounted. I could get one mounted for SFCJCA by me cheaply after I found a tire. Shipping would be a bitch. SFCJCA is already mounted up and ready to go. Hmmm. Can shoot me a msg if you think something would make sense.

Well if you put it that way, I guess it doesn't make much sense. The spare rim would be for a BT, considering my rim now has a CT with about 15K miles left on it. And you're right, shipping a rim w/ a tire mounted would be a pain.

I'd be interested in getting a spare ABS rim for my '05.

Guess it comes down to what you'd pay for an ABS rim with a new Exalto already mounted. I could get one mounted for SFCJCA by me cheaply after I found a tire. Shipping would be a bitch. SFCJCA is already mounted up and ready to go. Hmmm. Can shoot me a msg if you think something would make sense.
The oil seal I need is on the way. So, the rim and CT is probably going on the bike this weekend. With a little luck, I'm sure you can pick up an ABS rim on ebay for under $250. There's a couple listed now.

Update: Today I passed 21,000 miles since install of my Pilot Exalto, including the IBR and a bunch of commuting... Looks pretty good, huh?

DS21k.jpg

@ SFCJCA - Welcome to the Darkside. You have been added to the FAQ as Darksider #68.

Our Brethren are everywhere!
evilgrin.gif

@ Wheatie...
diablo.gif

Justin, did you find the wobble point or was it smooth the whole way? 130-135 is the point for me
Yeah - that's where mine starts to wobble as well. I don't really use this bike for those kind of speeds much anyway, so it's not an issue for me. I do wonder if the Exalto does better in that regard though. It looks to be closer to a mc tire (rounder) than the Potenza I have on now.
I found my wobble point yesterday, about 125. It's pretty rare I ever get that high so I'm good with it.

RiderX - Welcome to the Darkside, (and congrats on the IBR and ITU rides, verry nice! ) You have been added to the Darkside FAQ as Darksider #69. I will notify the Graduates of the next class of the Jenny McCarthy School of Chrome Removal to be especially diligent in your indoctrination.

Jenny M--may have to start watching The View!

Thank you for breaking this ground. Perhaps i am the first clutch lever-less darksider. I have just over 5k on the Exalto at 31 PSI. I love the following:

Slow speed heavy traffic, bike stays very upright.

Dirt and gravel: much improved

Rain (especially standing water common in Mojave with flash flooding): much improved

Mountain Twisties: handles wonderfully

Longevity/cost: expecting great things

I did notice on the 32 hour ITU when going to medium lean to heavy lean it takes a lot of grip input with increased resistance. This is a non factor for a day ride, but after many hours in the saddle, it is possibly fatiguing--hard to say after one rally. Also when passing up a mountain, some power is reduced. With a rally loaded bike I am in a lower gear for higher RPMs especially with CT.

I believe MPG is reduced if you are a deliberate or aggressive rider, especially if in mountains. May be negligible if you are slabbing down the interstate with a bigger tire. In my short experiment, riding aggressively I saw a drop in mpg. This makes sense to me.

I am very impressed.

Jenny M--may have to start watching The View!
Thank you for breaking this ground. Perhaps i am the first clutch lever-less darksider. I have just over 5k on the Exalto at 31 PSI. I love the following:

Slow speed heavy traffic, bike stays very upright.

Dirt and gravel: much improved

Rain (especially standing water common in Mojave with flash flooding): much improved

Mountain Twisties: handles wonderfully

Longevity/cost: expecting great things

I did notice on the 32 hour ITU when going to medium lean to heavy lean it takes a lot of grip input with increased resistance. This is a non factor for a day ride, but after many hours in the saddle, it is possibly fatiguing--hard to say after one rally. Also when passing up a mountain, some power is reduced. With a rally loaded bike I am in a lower gear for higher RPMs especially with CT.

I believe MPG is reduced if you are a deliberate or aggressive rider, especially if in mountains. May be negligible if you are slabbing down the interstate with a bigger tire. In my short experiment, riding aggressively I saw a drop in mpg. This makes sense to me.

I am very impressed.

I agree with all the above. And, for me, there is no noticeable difference in mileage. And, I am still mad you got #69 :)