Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my ST, I also found that my wear was a little more on the right than left. I think this is because I may corner harder on that side.

Well the first chapter in my Darksiding journey recently came to a slightly premature end. Tire is an Exalto,
I was two-up in Monterey, CA about to head down Highway 1 for some scenic riding with the girlfriend. Stopped at a red light, and when it turned green and I took off I knew there was something immediately wrong and that it was a flat rear tire. And I am here to tell you that a flat car tire on the rear is even worse that a flat motorcycle tire on the rear! Holy cow was that thing squirming all over the place! Hobbled it over to a gas station that was fortunately very nearby and this is the only thing I could find:

20140714_181021_zps2987f786.jpg

Another pic for reference:

20140714_181110_zps8f9aa220.jpg

Used the station's compressor and sure enough that was where the air was coming out of. Plugged it with THREE sticky strings and tired airing it up. Still leaking. :sadsmiley: Stuck one more sticky string in there and VOILA! Holding air! Even after a brief test ride. Well, that FOUR sticky string repair got me and the g/f the 7 miles back to the hotel, held air overnight, and the 6 miles to a dealership the next morning for a new tire. You gotta love those sticky strings!

At the dealership, guy comes out and tells me they have never seen anything so big inside a flat tire. Take a gander for yourself.

20140715_094430_zps7729133e.jpg

20140715_094440_zpscc823589.jpg

Yikes!

So as you can see by the wear bars in the first photo I was nearing the end of life for this tire but couldn't quite get it there. 39,000 miles on this tire when it came off. I am sure it would have taken me to 40-42k.

The only thing that was weird was that it wore unevenly from left to right. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of it but the right side of the tire was just about at the wear bars. The tire wore more from right to left. Counter to what I would have guessed. It was fairly consistent across the tire also, the center not wearing differently.

About 23k on another Exalto on a different FJR currently so we shall see how that one wears.

Glad you were able to plug the tire and get to the hotel/shop and a new tire. I once saw a 10mm combo wrench half in, half out of a tire at a tire shop. They said the driver came in complaining about a 'thumping' noise.
not_i.gif
Tire was actually still holding air, though down on pressure a bit.

Now that we have an Admin's attention… (clicky)
Just why is this thread in the NEPRT section of the forum ???

It's not off topic, it's a central part of how some of us enjoy our FJRs.

It is never ending

Just my thoughts.
Never-Ending is the main reason. Think of that section of the board as OR statements instead of AND statements.

Frankly, I see no stigma attached to the "Never Ending" aspect of this thread. I suspect it will indeed be never ending, as new riders join and evaluate mileage vs. dollars vs. handling vs. cool sticker on the luggage. This thread is certainly NOT "Pointless", and the collective has done a remarkable job of keeping all darkside things corralled within -- so as to avoid "Recurring" (or "Repeating") threads.

NEPRT is appropriate, but not in any way demeaning.

If it has been solicited, I would second the motion that this thread be pinned. Pinning would avoid stupid/redundant questions from noobs, and with almost 3,750 posts, it would give them some appreciation for what other knowledge could be gained by searching before asking.

If it has been solicited, I would second the motion that this thread be pinned. Pinning would avoid stupid/redundant questions from noobs, and with almost 3,750 posts, it would give them some appreciation for what other knowledge could be gained by searching before asking.
More to the point to pin the Darkside FAQ thread and put a link to this thread at the top. The FAQ thread distills most of the "hard" data from the NEPRT thread. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/124275-darkside-faq/

This thread is rarely hard to find because it always stays near the top of NEPRT.

More to the point to pin the Darkside FAQ thread and put a link to this thread at the top. The FAQ thread distills most of the "hard" data from the NEPRT thread. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/124275-darkside-faq/ This thread is rarely hard to find because it always stays near the top of NEPRT.
I have made some edits to the Darkside FAQ and added a link to this thread at the top. (Per RossKean's suggestion.)

For those that would like to add additional tire comments, or can offer tire life info on specific tires they have used, please PM me with that info and I'll add it to the FAQ.

Thanks!

Still haven't mastered the mobile version of this so here's a link to a photo on my bike.

https://flic.kr/p/pexUVN

Rode nearly 13000km in 18 days on her and it was great! After swapping out with a PR2 after I got home, I noticed a screw in the treads, but hasn't lost a bit of pressure. Coincidentally, took a 2600km jaunt in BC with the PR2 on the back and bent the rim on a pothole. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have happened if I was still running the G-Max. :)

And Ross, you coulda taken Cherise out for a run in Deer Lake to get a feel for the G-Max, but I'd definitely suggest you give it a try. I picked mine up at CanTire for $90.

And Ross, you coulda taken Cherise out for a run in Deer Lake to get a feel for the G-Max, but I'd definitely suggest you give it a try. I picked mine up at CanTire for $90.
I tried Canadian Tire for a cheap G-Max after you told me about what you guys paid for them. They are (apparently) out of stock and I don't think they are getting more. I will check again with them. Probably won't want to do it before next spring anyway.

Edit: I checked another Cdn Tire a half hour from home and they had a G-Max for $71 (+tax). Looks like I'll be darksiding again in the Spring - sooner if we get some good fall weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no basis for comparison. This is my first CT. Sorry can't be of any help. I wanted to ask what would be a good front MC tire to go along with the Gmax?
I'm running an Angel GT front with a G-Max rear. I like it.
What kind of mileage do you think you will get from your Angel GT on the front? I would love to do a BT45 rear tire on the front of my FJR like I did my ST1300, but there does not seem to be enough front fender clearance to do anything but a front MC tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just went dark this week with a General G-MAX AS-03 Radial Tire - 205/50R17 purchase from Amazon.com and a Michelin PR4 on the front. how do I get assigned a number?

I just went dark this week with a General G-MAX AS-03 Radial Tire - 205/50R17 purchase from Amazon.com and a Michelin PR4 on the front. how do I get assigned a number?
Just post a pic of your bike with the G-Max on it in this thread. www.tinypic.com works well if you don't have a place to host the pic. I will assign you a number and place your user name in the Darkside FAQ, (unless you request otherwise).

Eric

FYI Darksiders.....

Will hit 50,000 miles on my Michelin Pilot A/S Plus on the ride home today...one month short of 5 years on the same tire. :D

FYI Darksiders.....
Will hit 50,000 miles on my Michelin Pilot A/S Plus on the ride home today...one month short of 5 years on the same tire.
biggrin.png

Bi-atch!!!

A few months back I bought one of the last available of that tire for a premium based on your recommendation. So it better be as good as you say it is. 25k on the current Exalto, so will be mounting it in about six months.

50,000 miles in five years????? SLACKER!

The object looks like the tip of a knife blade in the pictures. Someone running around slashing tires?
Probably a darkside hater. You all know who they are.
wink.png
It wasn't me! :nono:

I hear that ionbeam is a (new) darkside hater. Musta been him. And he rode on that bike and tire just a week prior! Not me. I had better sense.

bleh.gif

Latest posts