Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Far as I know they're not available. Michelin stopped making them years ago, but some warehouses had leftovers for awhile. I got mine last summer from the Tire Kingdom warehouse and had it shipped to the house. Google search "Tire Kingdom," call 'em, and ask them if they still have that tire. Just so ya know: typically a tire warehouse won't sell a discontinued tire that's been sitting on the rack once it reaches a certain age. Liability you know.

Gary

darksider #44

I might be persuaded to give up my brand new Exalto for a reasonable price and if you're not in too much of a hurry for it....... bought it 2 years ago.

So if a car tire is the dark side and wingers that run a rear on the front are double dark side then do I get extra points for the spyder with three car type tires ?? Maybe I need to run m/c tires on the spyder.:) :) :)

OCfjr,

Thanks for the all the research and write ups, I'm going to be trying a CT on my second set of rims. Just wondering, many of the CTs are rated for as much as 50 psi, so I would have thought inflating them to close to max psi and given the fact that they are mounted on the FJR rim would tend to help make the profile more rounded, what am I missing?

What kind of an update would you like?

And in reference to your comments, you don't ride on the sidewall of a CT, ever. You can get up on the edge, sort of, but never over. The sidewalls deform as the bike leans. In really tight stuff you are lifting the outside edge up, but you always have tread on the ground. It's actually very stable and controlable in leans. That's where you notice it the least. You tend to notice it the most going strait. You do notice more resistance when running through water. You can feel the extra drag since the front tire is not cutting a wide enough path for the wide, flat rear tire.

I currently have 5200 miles on the CT with little visible wear. Some scrubbing at the edges from the twisty romps on Hwy 1 in CA mentioned above, but that's it. I'm currently running 30 psi and feel that turn effort is reduced by the lower air pressure. At high speeds, (triple didgets), I don't think I'd want to run lower than 30, but I don't go there often or stay there for prolonged periods.

I don't seem to have suffered much of a mileage impact. Hard to tell due to OR changing to E10 about the same time I changed to the CT. Out of state when I get real gas, my mileage is comparable to the moto tire, 46 or so. I typically was very consistant at about 46-48 in the past with moto tires.

Do keep in mind that I'm also on a new engine now, so there are some variables in play. If you have specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them as best I can.

I run 30-31 psi. I believe it is more important for the tire sidewall to remain flexible so that the tire can deform in corners. High psi in a radial is not going to "round" the tire to a great extent but it will reduce the amount of rubber it places on the ground in a corner. That is my understanding after only about 11,000 miles riding on the darkside.

Some have tried a CT and not liked it. I think in some cases their problems were due to using a tire with a stiffer sidewall and/or over inflating. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. I run a General GMax, by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest some willingness to try different pressures until you find the one right for you. I started like most around 30-34 psi and did not like the feel. I now run 40psi (over 25k miles) and really like the setup.

Ditto on the previous 2 posts. When I installed the C/T I started at 28 psi. Then bumped it up a little at a time until it felt like too much. Then I let some out, ended up in the 32-34 range. IMHO each person's "feel" is different as is suspension, etc. making a "magic pressure choice" impossible to say. Be willing to experiment or it probably won't work for you.

I run the General G-Max AS-03. It's only been about 18,000 miles but so far so good.

OCfjr,Thanks for the all the research and write ups, I'm going to be trying a CT on my second set of rims. Just wondering, many of the CTs are rated for as much as 50 psi, so I would have thought inflating them to close to max psi and given the fact that they are mounted on the FJR rim would tend to help make the profile more rounded, what am I missing?
Sorry for the delayed response, I was riding a scooter across Egypt with my wife and a few new friends. https://cletha-adventures.blogspot.com/2015/10/countdown-for-2015-cross-egypt-challenge.html

Max pressure will round the tire a bit, but nothing like a moto tire. One person has been running at max pressure, but I don't have any long term info on that. I believe the feel and ease of turn in is better at a more normal pressure of ~30 psi. Too stiff a side wall makes turn in effort higher and less moto like. At 28-31 for most all season tires that we have been trying, the side wall can flex nicely and that allows the tire to make transitions more easily. As you lean, the tire's naturally round shape becomes somewhat oblong and when you exceed the carcass' ability to flex, it returns to round as the rear end lifts, which quickens turn in. This process occurs simultaneously and is why you don't feel a resistance point when leaning.

You'll get better overall traction at a more normal pressure as well. Especially in wet or loose conditions when you need it most.

At the end of the day, as the others have said, try different pressures and see what feels best for you. It's not going to hurt anything running max pressure. I just don't feel it's optimal for our use.

I believe the feel and ease of turn in is better at a more normal pressure of ~30 psi. Too stiff a side wall makes turn in effort higher and less moto like. At 28-31 for most all season tires that we have been trying, the side wall can flex nicely and that allows the tire to make transitions more easily. As you lean, the tire's naturally round shape becomes somewhat oblong and when you exceed the carcass' ability to flex, it returns to round as the rear end lifts, which quickens turn in. This process occurs simultaneously and is why you don't feel a resistance point when leaning.

Interesting. That has been exactly opposite my experience on the two Exaltos I have run. I started out at the recommended 28-31 psi, but over time have gone to about 34 psi. The only reason I went up in pressure was to decrease the amount of effort required for initial turn-in. Two completely different beasts at the different pressures. Much easier turn-in at the higher pressure.

That is interesting. Thanks for adding to the experience base on tire pressures. With one Bridgestone and one Exalto, I ran the same pressures, but found the Exalto to be much more 'bike like' and have smoother turn in at the same pressures I ran on the original Bridgestone Potenza 019G Grid.

I suspect the stiffness of the sidewall plays a big role in which PSI works best. That and several other variables.

I suspect other variables play a big role in which PSI works best. I also suspect variables will vary from suspect to suspect.

Ha. I was just remembering the day I decided to take the plunge and put a car tire on my FJR (clicky here)

That was January 2011, nearly 5 years ago. That same tire is still going strong with nearly 40,000 miles on it now. It's just hitting the wear bars but there are a few miles left in it still.

Gary

darksider #44

PS: Per Brodie's request, piccies to come shortly...
smile.png

Pictures, Gary.

Pictures !!!

The best I got with both my Exaltos was 36,000 to the wear bars. I figured it was close enough, I wanted deeper sipes for upcoming trips, and was glad I did - both times.

I currently have close to 20k on my G-Max and thinking it may make it to 40K; but I'm don't plan to baby the thing.

IMG_0711_zpsbp67rl9c.jpg

Brodie

rolleyes.gif