Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been busy dying IBR rider's hair. (That's what happens when you offer help to Warchild)

Read the FAQ. I think I covered the tire bead question.😄

I ran a Potenza Grid race tire for 70000 kms. Sticky sticky sticky . back to bike tires right now but would run a car tire in a minute.

Bet the hack guys $20 that they can't rotate a flat, just mounted CT on a moto wheel by themselves.

Then laugh at the idiot that tries. No more lube than normal to mount a moto tire.

The tire sits deeper in the bead, but is not coming off, even when flat. Their comments are based on experience with tube style wheels and ancient bikes. (imho)

Well I did mention that they are an older group. Guess that's not surprising. Also saw three hack drivers with prosthetic legs.

I am about to post a video of me, riding Lolo Pass, on a G-Max rear.

It went round corners, it did not come off the rim, and it was fun even in my somewhat less than proficient hands.

I did not crash, and die in flames and I reckon some folk need to ride more and worry less.

By the way, when that tire is on my motorcycle, it is a motorcycle tire. It does not say "Car Tire" anywhere on it.

Just hit 98,000 miles on my '04...and 60k of those miles are Darksiding...on the same Michelin A/S Plus!

(damn thing STILL ain't wore out!)

I have, to date, died 7 times because of that tire. Darn it!

I just changed out my Exalto for a General G-Max after about 30k miles. The biggest downside to darksiding for me? The dumb asses who approach me at hotels and gas stations to tell me I'm insane and going to die with a CT on a motorcycle, especially when I'm on the clock for IBA ride.

Just hit 98,000 miles on my '04...and 60k of those miles are Darksiding...on the same Michelin A/S Plus!
(damn thing STILL ain't wore out!)

I have, to date, died 7 times because of that tire. Darn it!
Please offer my condolences to.... whoever cares.
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

Mark me down as a Darksider too!

About to head East for a shindig in New York, knew the Pirelli Angel GT on the back wouldn't make the entire trip and didn't want to fool with getting it replaced while on the road.

Procured a BFG a while ago, FESTAR and I purchased a Harbor Freight Tire Changer yesterday and put it together last night.

Bolted it to the floor today, bought a piece of 3/4 steel rod and had it threaded 3/4-10 on one end so it would screw into the HF Tire Changer and still go through the wheel bearings.

Pirelli came off easy, BFG went on with a little persuasion, plenty of Soap and water and two spoons, 4 wood blocks, 3 plastic pop bottle rim protectors along with the HF supplied bar.

Two man job for certain. The 3/4 rod eliminated the need for the HF MC adapter top support.

Didn't pay enough attention to the Darksider FAQ thread so I removed the wheel without putting a block under the center stand. While reviewing during lunch we realized we had phucked up! New tire and wheel would not fit under the rear fender, but....after removing the center plate on my HF MC Lift, on sale this week for $289 FYI, we easily lifted the tire into place from below. All went together easily, brake reaction rod manufactured and coated with Mexichrome.

IMG_20150630_155556959_zps5q1b89or.jpg

Test ride up and back in SPEARFISH Canyon. Echo what others have said. A little more pressure to keep the line, plenty of traction, easily doubled the curve speeds on the way home e.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Mojolever, and Mojoblocks will eliminate the need to mess with spoons and rim protectors, and make that terrible implement that should never see any other than a tractor rim, redundant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cut that damn reflector of the rear end and life will be easier. I'm surprised Festar didn't just lift the bike for you.

Congrats!

A Mojolever, and Mojoblocks will eliminate the need to mess with spoons and rim protectors, and make that terrible implement that should never see any other than a tractor rim, redundant.
Yup, but I don't have to worry for 25 or 30,000 miles now! :) :)

I just read on the Iron Butt Rally Day 2 report that if you run a CT in the IBR you have to have a TPMS. Why is that? How many darksiders on this forum are using a TPMS for the CT? What am I missing out on by not using it?

I just read on the Iron Butt Rally Day 2 report that if you run a CT in the IBR you have to have a TPMS. Why is that? How many darksiders on this forum are using a TPMS for the CT? What am I missing out on by not using it?
The reason is a simple one.

Motorcycles will run quite well, for quite a long way on a car tire that is punctured or even flat. Eventually the tire will fail but the rider might not get much advance notice if droning along an interstate.

The TPMS is required to alert the rider that the tire is flat. If you are running a car tire, and get a puncture, it is usually safe to ride it at a lower speed until you get somewhere safe to repair the problem.

The reason is a simple one.

Motorcycles will run quite well, for quite a long way on a car tire that is punctured or even flat. Eventually the tire will fail but the rider might not get much advance notice if droning along an interstate.

The TPMS is required to alert the rider that the tire is flat. If you are running a car tire, and get a puncture, it is usually safe to ride it at a lower speed until you get somewhere safe to repair the problem.
Twigg, Thanks. I'll guess I'll add TPMS to my future farkle list. Eventually, I want to try a rally. But honestly, I'd be more worried about a puncture on a motorcycle tire at highway speed.