Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are riding fast the throttle is coming on when you are at full lean (with trail braking). On an FJR you are putting a lot of horsepower to the ground at a pretty steep lean angle. I still suspect that this combo will reduce the handling performance of OUR bike when ridden aggressively, and so for me it's out no matter how much money it saves. <snip>
Emphasis added. I agree with what you are saying. If you read the first page or so, you'll see that I don't ride like that. I don't think a CT is for everyone, (said many times now), but the purpose of this experiment is to see how well, or how badly, it works on the FJR.

It's just about options. Some FJR riders put pure sport tires on and are very happy with the results. Some don't need that level of traction or want/need longer tire life. For many, normal ST tires are a perfect compromise. For some, it's still not enough life and we look for other options.

The thing the vid does show is that he keeps up with his fellow riders just fine. That doesn't necessarily mean that's your pace, or mine, or fossilriders. Looks bad ass on the Rocket III though. ;)
That Rocket III puts some serious torque on the pavement and does so on the straights and in the turns/twisties. Pretty impressive.

I think this is a great idea. good for you. For those of you that claim I am just a naysayer and OCFjr is the next coming of Thomas Edison
Don't you mean Tesla...maybe?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Not even. I'm just some guy crazy enough to try something that looks wrong, but no one has actually tried on the FJR yet. At least in our little community.

I think this is a great idea. good for you. For those of you that claim I am just a naysayer and OCFjr is the next coming of Thomas Edison
Don't you mean Tesla...maybe?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Not even. I'm just some guy crazy enough to try something that looks wrong, but no one has actually tried on the FJR yet. At least in our little community.
Keep doing your research. I am very curious about this.

I've run a 190 rear tire before this Shinko 180 rear tire and did not have any riding problems with it. Clearance was the only concern. I think a 200 may fit but it cost lots more.

You seem to be confusing "trial and error" with "research".

BTW, what the hell made you such an angry man? Get yer panties outta yer crack would ya?

Last edited by a moderator:
Enough already boys. Some of the non-topic crap on this thread almost has me ready to unsub from the topic.

Take it to PM and leave the thread for constructive comments/questions please. That doesn't mean just ones in favor either. I appreciate opinions if they have some foundation of actual experience or data.

Thanks.

Enough already boys. Some of the non-topic crap on this thread almost has me ready to unsub from the topic.
Take it to PM and leave the thread for constructive comments/questions please. That doesn't mean just ones in favor either. I appreciate opinions if they have some foundation of actual experience or data.

Thanks.
welcome to the internet

Common among the Goldwing riders. Here's a link to one who rides the dragon!

Dragon20Sparks-sm.jpg

and another pic.

ZeePics017-1.jpg

That picture says it all.

It's not the bike, or the TIRE but...

The skill.

If you CAN ride, you can ride anything!

All due respect boys but he's all puckered up and trying to wrassel that thing away from the double yellows.

Carry on.

Common among the Goldwing riders. Here's a link to one who rides the dragon!
Tom Franken

and another pic.

ZeePics017-1.jpg
Not the best cornering line but who am I to I am I to criticize, I am the master of the multiple apex. Keep up with the CT testing. Ian, Iowa

Update - I got the Bridgestone Potenza 019 Grid in 205/50-17 mounted today by a local shop. They've done CTs before, but it still took two big guys, three tire irons and a really nice Coates machine to get it on the wheel. Cost me $25 + $7.50(!!!) for weights. Didn't take more weight than some of my moto tires have, but they were unable to spin the tire on the wheel and line up the dot with the valve stem due to the serious friction of the wide tire on the rim. It's 180 off. Might be better, might be worse, <shrug>.

Sadly, and despite my efforts with the specifications, this tire is slightly wider than the Cooper test tire, at least on the wheel. To re-cap briefly, the Cooper Zeon ZXS fit w/o rubbing, barely. It specs as 8.43" section width. The Bridgestone Potenza 019 Grid specs at 8.3" section width, but ended up being wider on the wheel than the Cooper. Variation in tolerances? Or just the way it sits on the wheel? I don't know.

Still, the area that rubs is only the arm to the brake caliper. I fabbed a steel replacement for the moment so I can ride some miles on it, but will fabricate a solid aluminum bar that mimics the stock piece, but with a dish where the interference is. It won't take much, but I don't want to machine the tubular stock piece. I think it would weaken it more than I like. It's really only there to prevent rotation if you forget to tighten the axle. ;-)

1572cgh.jpg
The tire on the wheel. Dayam, that's wide!

2ex9fue.jpg
On the bike.

ohsqzb.jpg
Rubs. :huh:

15ewetx.jpg
Single sided bar. (temporary)

Hopefully I'll be able to get a couple of rides in this week, but it's supposed to be getting into the 20's by Monday and snow is in the forecast, so a longer ride may have to wait a week or so. Our snow usually doesn't hang around. :)

Yo Eric, you rode the little school bus as a kid didn't ya? C'mon, admit it!

Woops, out of popcorn, gotta go get some more.

Still, the area that rubs is only the arm to the brake caliper. I fabbed a steel replacement for the moment so I can ride some miles on it, but will fabricate a solid aluminum bar that mimics the stock piece, but with a dish where the interference is. It won't take much, but I don't want to machine the tubular stock piece. I think it would weaken it more than I like. It's really only there to prevent rotation if you forget to tighten the axle. ;-)

I believe your totally underestimating the power of the rear brake.

"I fabbed a steel replacement for the moment so I can ride some miles on it, but will fabricate a solid aluminum bar that mimics the stock piece"

Some primer and black Rustoleum and I'd call it done or there's always Stainless if you can find a scrap piece.

FWIW, new metal here. https://www.onlinemetals.com/

Any trouble seating the bead :p that's pretty amazing that it took 2 men with tire irons AND a machine to mount that sucker!

Keep posting your results and try not to let the naysayers heckle you too much.

Oh yeah - if you ever DO crash, good luck getting the insurance to cover it.

No problem with the insurance. It will be covered. (If insurance companies could tell you what tires they would cover on your bike, they would also be telling you what woman they would cover as your wife.

Come to think if it, they would probably have better luck with picking our wives than some of us do!

Don't worry, your insurance is fine.

Any trouble seating the bead :p that's pretty amazing that it took 2 men with tire irons AND a machine to mount that sucker!
Seating the bead is not an issue with the car tire. There is so much pressure on the beads w/o air, and the CT beads sit deeper on the rim than moto tires. The beads are there. The wider tire creates difficulty in getting the second side to sit down under the rim. That's where all the extra effort is. It wants to slip off the rim as you work it around. Moto tires are narrower and easier to manuver so that the first bead stays in the valley of the wheel while you push the second bead onto the wheel.

@Mike25 - Note the winkie.

@Kaelaria - The insurance company doesn't care what tire you run. If you don't believe me, check with yours. Like any accident, if they believe you are at fault, there is always the potential for non-coverage.

FWIW, even though the shop does CT mounting on bike wheels, I still had to listen to one of the guys that mounted the tire telling me I was going to die a flaming death, etc. while the other was telling me all the different bikes he's ridden with CTs on them. First guy had only gone down to the end of the parking lot on a CT.... :lol: