Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I've heard this is a common problem for some Dark Siders without tire changing machines or out on the road needing a tire...
What about us who don't have tire changing machines or skills to mount the CT on the Feejer rim ???

Any comment about the problem or lack of to get somebody to mount a said CT on a motorcycle rim...

TIA,

Mike in Nawlins'
You find someone who does :) Seriously, I'll mount just about anything for a 6 pack of good beer, as will most guys with the tools.

(yeah I'm a bit far from you).

OK, I've heard this is a common problem for some Dark Siders without tire changing machines or out on the road needing a tire...
What about us who don't have tire changing machines or skills to mount the CT on the Feejer rim ???

Any comment about the problem or lack of to get somebody to mount a said CT on a motorcycle rim...

TIA,

Mike in Nawlins'
I don't have a tire changing maching in my garage, (yet). I simply called a couple of places until I found one that would do it. Happened to be a trike dealer, so on the road I'd probably look up the nearest Lehman Trike dealer and start there. FWIW, any tire shop with a modern rim clamp tire machine should be able to do the job. With all the high end rims for cars out now, nearly all shops have at least one rim clamp machine. Rotor down to avoid hitting it with the bar(s), and you're in business.

I'm sure some shops would say no thanks, but it shouldn't be a big deal on the road to find one that will do it. There are several stories of darksiders getting tires on the road if you search the cruiser and wing forums.

TIA,

Mike in Nawlins'
You find someone who does :) Seriously, I'll mount just about anything for a 6 pack of good beer, as will most guys with the tools.

(yeah I'm a bit far from you).
I was wondering, in this litagious culture, if finding a commercial business, either tire or motorcycle, that will mount a CT on a motorcycle rim is difficult or impossible. I wonder if purchasing the CT at a tire dealership, they would have the equipment to mount it to a Feejer rim and what are the chances of them doing so - also can they balance it as well. :unsure:

I guess I'd like to know before purchase. Maybe your only answer is for me to call around and get a verbal from local tire stores about it. But if need one on the road, just finding the tire isn't the only issue. :blink:

Woe, glad it's Wed. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Whoops, covered in post #443 above, thanx -

<I'm wondering what the record is of longest thread in history here; might have a winner before it's all over>

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering, in this litagious culture, if finding a commercial business, either tire or motorcycle, that will mount a CT on a motorcycle rim is difficult or impossible. I wonder if purchasing the CT at a tire dealership, they would have the equipment to mount it to a Feejer rim and what are the chances of them doing so - also can they balance it as well. :unsure:
I guess I'd like to know before purchase. Maybe your only answer is for me to call around and get a verbal from local tire stores about it. But if need one on the road, just finding the tire isn't the only issue. :blink:

Ok, let me add something here. Give the tire dealer an out, it's only fair. "Hi, I need a tire for my sidecar equipped motorcycle, can you help me out?" Some tire sellers, Tire Rack included, won't sell you a car tire for a motorcycle, if you tell them that is what you're doing with it. It's for a trailer, is a common tactic. Or it's for a spare wheel on my car.

As to mounting, if you're walking in with just a wheel, it's easier for them to turn a blind eye. If you're not able to remove your own wheel on the road, (consider carrying the tools to do so), you may need to hit a couple of bike/car shops to get what you need done. I can see having the bike shop pull the wheel, then having to take a cab to the car tire dealer to get it mounted, but that's worst case, imho.

Part of the point to running a CT is not needing a change on the road. They are less suseptible to flats, and last far longer than moto tires. You're not likely to be surprised by a CT wearing out on the road like a bike tire can do.

Ok, let me add something here. Give the tire dealer an out, it's only fair. "Hi, I need a tire for my sidecar equipped motorcycle, can you help me out?" Some tire sellers, Tire Rack included, won't sell you a car tire for a motorcycle, if you tell them that is what you're doing with it. It's for a trailer, is a common tactic. Or it's for a spare wheel on my car.

As to mounting, if you're walking in with just a wheel, it's easier for them to turn a blind eye. If you're not able to remove your own wheel on the road, (consider carrying the tools to do so), you may need to hit a couple of bike/car shops to get what you need done. I can see having the bike shop pull the wheel, then having to take a cab to the car tire dealer to get it mounted, but that's worst case, imho.

Part of the point to running a CT is not needing a change on the road. They are less suseptible to flats, and last far longer than moto tires. You're not likely to be surprised by a CT wearing out on the road like a bike tire can do.
I would think if your only concern is what to do on a trip, well, you could always fall back to a motorcycle tire. I don't think any moto-shop would have an issue removing a CT and installing something they'd think was legit.

Tire mileage is one of the things that shocked me when I returned to riding a few years ago.

I recall an apartment neighbor telling me that he used 'stickier' tires on his bike, racing tires I think. They gripped really well but wore out fast, maybe 10K miles. Tires on my bike were lasting ~30K.

Tire mileage is one of the things that shocked me when I returned to riding a few years ago.
I recall an apartment neighbor telling me that he used 'stickier' tires on his bike, racing tires I think. They gripped really well but wore out fast, maybe 10K miles. Tires on my bike were lasting ~30K.

30K --- WOW --- I need to find out how you ride

Yabbut, tire mileage is directly effected by how heavy your bike is and, for the back tire, how much giddy-up it has when you twist that right hand thingee.

Even sport touring tires are much stickier than those long wearing skins of "the good old days". ;)

Do you think it would be any more difficult to spoon one on at home, in your own garage (compared to some of the moto rear tires)?

<cough> See post #1.

"stickier" tires for sport bikes typically wear out in 1-3k miles. Race tires often never see even 1k miles. (people often sell race 'take offs' that have been heat cyclced beyond the point where they remain useful for track riding, not that you want those either.) Some of the guys on this forum wear out sport touring tires in 3-4k miles! The thing to remember here is that in the old days motorcycle tires, (and car tires), were bias ply and lasted much longer, but didn't handle as well either. Today the majority of motorcycle tires are radial, (and nearly all car tires). We gained better performance and handling, traction, etc., but lost tread life.

It's really just that last bit, getting the second bead over the rim that's the tough part. The rest is no harder than a moto tire.

Do you think it would be any more difficult to spoon one on at home, in your own garage (compared to some of the moto rear tires)?
I'm thinking many 24" spoons and it's doable with two people, maybe?
I once changed a rear tire for a friend who was new to motorcycling -- and he hung around and watched.

Near the end of mounting the new rear tire he said (something-like): "Jeebus..., If I'd known it was that difficult -- I'd never have asked you to do it." "You're an old man and shouldn't be working that hard." :(

OCFJR any updates on current milage or problems, I am in the middle of the fort davis mountains looking at the wearbars on my fjr and contemplating a change probably in del rio on friday or saturday Im thinking the dark side is the way to go.

Thanks for being the guinnea pig on this one. Has anyone gotten an update from darth maul on his conversion?

OCFJR any updates on current milage or problems, I am in the middle of the fort davis mountains looking at the wearbars on my fjr and contemplating a change probably in del rio on friday or saturday Im thinking the dark side is the way to go.
Thanks for being the guinnea pig on this one. Has anyone gotten an update from darth maul on his conversion?
No problems, even wear at 15,500 miles or so. You might try the Yokohama Advan S-4 if they have one locally to you. It may fit w/o modding the brake tension arm. If not, or you don't have that tire option, just make a quick and dirty one out of some 3/16 steel from the hardware store. You only need to drill a couple of holes and can probably get the store to cut it to length for you, if not drill the holes too.

There are now 3 darksiders. The third will post up soon with some pics, and he's a Gen II bike also.

There are now 3 darksiders. The third will post up soon with some pics, and he's a Gen II bike also.
This disease is spreading quicker than the swine flu.

We need a vaccine for it.
Vaccine Hell.. I'd suggest next time you and Beemerdons stage a rally like this, ya just might consider a CT on them thar riggs..

You look kinda scared here..

2008-byobw-race-hl.jpg

:****:

:jester: