• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

GoPro Hero Video Camera Group buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustHoward

Reaction score
My good friend loaned me his new Hero wide angle video camera, which I attached to my helmet with a suction cup. This little camera records an hour of video or about 2,000 still images on a 2 gig card and a set of rechargeable batteries. And the pictures are AWESOME.

I was concerned that the suction cup wouldn't hold the camera to my helmet, but it did hold at speeds well over 90 mph (if any LEOs are reading this, I must have made a typo). You plug the camera into a computer, and you can download the images as AVI files or JPGs.

The full description of the camera system and kit is at www.goprocamera.com.

The camera I used was the Motorsports model, not the helmet model. The helmet model is made more for bicycle helmets, not motorcycle helmets. See the web site for the many other differences.

I spoke with my friend, who is a dealer of sorts, and he offered us he following deal:

The retail price of the Motorsports model kit is $199. The kit includes cables, suction cup, and several sticky-back mounting brackets. You can buy it on the web all day long for $189, or at some stores for $179.

If we get 10 or more in a group buy, we can buy the camera kit for $140, plus shipping (around $7). No sales tax if you live outside of Tennessee. The maximum number in this group buy will be 25.

You also need a 2 gig card, which you can get on Amazon for $8, (no shipping charge)

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Memory-SDSDB...0300&sr=8-1

and rechargeable AAA batteries. I bought the batteries and a charger at Lowes for $19.

If you're interested in this 'I don't really need it but I want it' accessory, send me a regular email, not a PM, and let me know.

Howard

[email protected]

I was looking dreaming about these last week. You guys are absolutely killing me with these group buys. I swear if they stop as my overtime comes in I'm going to get cranky.

Thanks for setting the group buy up. I did only one small GB once, and it was a pain. Thanks for giving back...

Thanks for the information Howard! Any possibilty that he would extend a discount on the Hero HD? That might be easier for us to get to 10 purchases.

B)

Howard, cool of you to do this... again!

I'd be holding out for an HD cam, though, I must say. Makes a difference in video editing.

Watching the thread.

Thanks for the information Howard! Any possibilty that he would extend a discount on the Hero HD? That might be easier for us to get to 10 purchases.
B)
+1 on HD.

I am concerned that a 170 degree angle of view is too wide, however. The HD one does have a mode with 140 degrees as an option.

B)
+1

I would also be interested in this HD model if it happens. Either way you rock Howard for putting together these GB's!

It's a great deal on a great camera, but I'd also prefer the HD model. If there's a GB worked up for that, you could count me in.

Craig

one thing about wide-angle

this summer, I bought 2 of the gopro hero WIDE motorsports kits. They're GREAT and a lot of fun but the wide can actually be a bad thing.

Wide angle enhances the effect of speed, as you see trees & such flying by on the sides. But in order to give that effect, the side-view being visible on the same sized screen means everything forward is being scrunched together towards the center of the screen. It has a VERY noticeable straightening effect on curves. So in my videos, you can hear me dropping 2 or 3 gears and slowing for a 'tight' hairpin but onscreen, it looks like a gentle sweeper!!!!

in this video, the first bend is a 25km VERY tight corner. There are many other super-tight corners where I drop 2 or 3 gears. I'm embarrassed to show these - it just looks like I'm a wussy, slowing down for a gentle bends :(

lame gopro hero WIDE video

I'm opting for the un-HD model for a couple of reasons.

1. The HD model is not yet available.

2. The chance of getting real discounts in the next several months is slim

3. The retail price is $299, twice as much as the group buy here.

4. Most of the videos that I'll take will be used either on my computer or on the web. What good is all that extra resolution?

I have three Canon still digital cameras, ranging from 2 MP to 8 MP. When I upload these images to the computer, there's not a lick of difference between them. In fact, the lower rez images load faster and are easier to email.

IMHO

Howard