• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

GoPro Hero Video Camera Group buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my Hero wide motorsports camera yesterday. Be aware that now the camer can handle a 4 gig card, so you get twice the capacity. Great camera, having fun playing with it.

Skid, appears that your video was marked "private" on youtube. The link isn't working.
sorry, my bad - fixed now

here's that video - again, that road is crazy twisty but the wide angle straightens it out onscreen click

This is an example of how gopros are a pile of fun. Stick 'em anywhere. I let this clip run-on because you can see the ZRX1200 I pass in the back. I stop the clip when he's faded from sight. Note how the horizon is almost always passed the corner of the screen (IE >45 degree lean angle)

but here's another on one of my favorite twisty backroads. Insanely twisty... but again, the wide angle ruins the visual effect click

I'm opting for the un-HD model for a couple of reasons.
1. The HD model is not yet available.

2. The chance of getting real discounts in the next several months is slim

3. The retail price is $299, twice as much as the group buy here.

4. Most of the videos that I'll take will be used either on my computer or on the web. What good is all that extra resolution?

I have three Canon still digital cameras, ranging from 2 MP to 8 MP. When I upload these images to the computer, there's not a lick of difference between them. In fact, the lower rez images load faster and are easier to email.

IMHO

Howard

You need to take a look see at the HD sample videos on the GoPro site...very impressive! If I find myself using my regular definition camera a lot, I think I'll upgrade to the HD version.

here's another one on the track. I can't put my finger on it but this one, the wide-angle doesn't seem to straighten the track out as severely?

this was me behind a 2009 ducati 749S. Poor bastard could never stretch-out a lead, even on a twisty track like this one. Too bad I didn't have my saddlebags on ;)

I bought this same camera last week on ebay for $139 free shipping. It arrived in 4 days and works great. I bought lithium batterys and some 4GB SD cards at Frys for cheap and the thing works great. I will probably get the HD version during the Christmas sales season.

I'll be using this on Saturday at The Texas Mile trying to hit 300KPH on my ZX14. I'll let you know if the mounts hold up at that speed. I also bought some rollbar mounts to mount the camera on my sliders.

Ebay $139 GoPro Hero 5MP Motorsports Wide

Hey Leskid,

Your video looked good to me, but I have a question.

What do you have the camera mounted on ?

Whatever it is, is holding the camera nice & rock steady.

How close are we to the 10 interested parties?

If I get one of these I am thinking about hardwiring a 3V power source, stepped down from 12V directly from the bike. I would adapt something like this COBY converter. Is there a jack on the camera for external power?

How close are we to the 10 interested parties?
If I get one of these I am thinking about hardwiring a 3V power source, stepped down from 12V directly from the bike. I would adapt something like this COBY converter. Is there a jack on the camera for external power?
There is not an external power jack. But adding external power may not be necessary. A set of lithium rechargable batteries will outlast the 4GB SD card limit on the current non-HD camera. So you can just swap in a fresh set of batteries when you change the SD card. That buys you 8 hours of recording on two sets of batteries and two 4GB SD cards. Then you can edit that down to 90 seconds of good stuff for the impatient youtube generation.

The upcoming HD version has a rechargable internal LiIon battery - It will charge from USB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Leskid,
Your video looked good to me, but I have a question.

What do you have the camera mounted on ?

Whatever it is, is holding the camera nice & rock steady.
well, the kit being mentioned in this group buy is the Gopro hero wide MOTORSPORT kit. That kit includes a pile of mounts for curved surfaces (helmets), flat surfaces and my personal favorite, this big-assed suction cup mount. I bought two of the kits so I'm never short on ways to securely attach one here & there. The helmet cam was pretty neat but it's the worst for straightening out the track.

There are plenty of examples of the Hero wide standard def video, and here's one more link. This short test vid was taken with the camera mounted on the OEM windshield of the FJR, both facing towards me and facing down the road.

I just spoke with Mary Jane and placed my order. She was very friendly and easy to talk with.

Thanks Howard.

There are plenty of examples of the Hero wide standard def video, and here's one more link. This short test vid was taken with the camera mounted on the OEM windshield of the FJR, both facing towards me and facing down the road.

Thank you for posting this -- it was helpful seeing the quality and focal point. I had a helmet-mounted lipstick camera hooked up to a miniDV recorder and I could never get the processing and compression right.

For those of you still on the fence----

PRICE REDUCTION!!!!

The $140 price previously quoted now INCLUDES shipping.

Why? Because my friend David, who also rides an FJR, really like his camera and wants to make it more available to the FJR family.

'

'Howard

Hey Howard,

First, thanks for putting this group buy together. Second, do we know where the count is at? As I e-mailed you on Friday I know I was number 6 so I'm hoping a couple more people who showed interest maybe called their orders in.

Looking forward to taking some videos on the bike so I can record my crappy riding abilities and potential stupid mistakes for all eternity....or until I erase the evidence. :D

There's a $140 charge on my VISA account dated 10/23, that was just posted today, 10/27. The charge was previously listed as pending. I would assume that means the cameras have been ordered.

My camera showed up on Friday. I had already left for a long weekend in WV so my wife got it before I did. Now she's holding it until my birthday and won't let me play. <_<

Edit: Found out last night, it wasn't the camera in that package. Guess it's still in process. :unknw:

Last edited by a moderator: