Got the green light for busa or zx14, help!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would you want to have two Sport Touring bikes in the garage?
Easy. They each have different missions, and are outfitted accordingly. ;)

FJR ==> Work truck for commuting and occasional long rides where I need to carry a lot of crap.

XX ==> LD rally bike. Gets sparse use outside of that. Still, ran up 37,000 miles on it this year.

Busa ==> Replaces the R1 for rampaging in the canyons and steppes of the western High Desert.

B)
I understand that completely. maybe I typoed. I am questioning having the ZX14 and the FJR in the same garage.

[

I understand that completely. maybe I typoed. I am questioning having the ZX14 and the FJR in the same garage.

My answer to this is the FJR is not sporty enough for me to be my only bike, I started out thinking I was going to get a true sport bike which I have had a few of in the past. But after riding a 1098 for a day I realized I wanted something I could carry enough stuff to spend a week on, a set of Givi bags a taller screen and I'm ready to go.

I "think" you're confusing the ZX14 with the C14?

I don't think ANY dictionary definition would pin a "Sport Touring" badge on a ZedEcks.

I own a 2007 FJR and a 2007 ZX14. I can assure you they are nothing alike except that they both have two wheels. I love my ZX14 for solo flights. The performance and handling are breath taking. When you get off the 14 and get on the FJR, it's sort of like kissing your sister. I love the FJR for what it is and it's a great two up machine but it can't be compared. As to the Busa, I drove a 2008 and it was not as comfortable as my 14 but I am used to my 14 now and the lowering with heli risers help that comfort. The BIG issue I and apparently lots of others have with the BUSA is the new styling of the rear end. It's just bone ugly. So, if you care about resale, you might want to consider the fact that the Busas are not selling well because of the new look of the rear end. But, if you love that look, the busa is a fine machine. I'm sure someone will come out with a mod to get rid of that hideous looking tail. Just my opinion! Also, you should be able to make a great deal on the Busa as my dealer said they are " giving them away" due to no sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the input. Although both bikes look great, I prefer the looks of the zx14 better. It sounds like the zx14 is the most comfortable of the 2 bikes for a 6'1" large frame like myself. But the cracked frames on the zx14's are definitely a concern. The way I'm thinking is a 2008 model for what ever bike I choose. I'll be interested to see if the frame issue has been resolved for the 2008 zx14's. Performance for either bike is undisputable.

Go to TRIUMPH check out SPEED TRIPLE 1050. BUSA And ZX14 are straight line bikes, If thats what your looking for,

Speed Triple is a great bike with plenty power and fun to ride. Wheelie machine and great on the twisties, Hell if you want to go fast in straight line you already have the bike. Do a demo on a Triple before you jump. Trust me, you wont be disappointed.

Also, you should be able to make a great deal on the Busa as my dealer said they are " giving them away" due to no sales.
Really? No sales of the Hayabusa, huh?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wonder how your insightful dealer can explain the fact that over 10,000 brand new Hayabusa's were sold in the USA this year alone. The 2007 model... when folks already knew a Gen II model was coming. 10,000 models sold, on a bike design 9 years old.

Please post your dealership name so I can send folks there to buy one. No, really. I am serious.

There are about a dozen posts a day from Florida guys on the Busa forums who are complaining they can not FIND a dealer who has a 2008 Busa for sale, because they don't stay in the dealership floor a day before they are gone! :D

Here in my little po-dunk agricultural area in southeastern Washington, the two biggest Suzuki dealerships are Desert Valley Powersports in Prosser, and Schumate Motorsports in Kennewick.

Schumate has received two new Busa's. Two weeks ago, their first one was assembled out of the crate in the morning, it was sold before lunch. Their second one was sold last week, when a customer spotted it being fork-lifted off the truck, he went inside and bought it before it was even assembled.

Their third one is due in next week. It's already sold..... for $500 over retail! :blink:

Desert Valley Powersports has only received two new 2008 Busa's thus far. Their first one, a black/gray model, was sold 15 minutes after they took it out of the crate, before it was even entered in the store's inventory system. It is sitting in my garage right now.

Their second one was one of the Orange/Black models. Folks either love or hate that color scheme, almost no middle ground.... that's probably why it didn't sell the first day. It was sold before noon the next day. They have one more Orange/Black model due in next week as well. It's already sold.

So, please, tell me your dealer's name there in Florida so's I can tell these guys desperate for a Gen II Busa where to go to where they are "giving them away". :lol:

Which begs the question.... does your dealer even sell Suzuki's? :glare:

Or... is he a Kawasaki dealer who is simply pulling down his pants, bending over, and speaking directly out of his ass.... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
...pulling down his pants, bending over, and speaking directly out of his ass.... :rolleyes:
You know, I've always wanted to actually see someone do this. Do you think they'd have a squeeky voice..??
lol-061.gif

Go to TRIUMPH check out SPEED TRIPLE 1050. BUSA And ZX14 are straight line bikes, If thats what your looking for,Speed Triple is a great bike with plenty power and fun to ride. Wheelie machine and great on the twisties, Hell if you want to go fast in straight line you already have the bike. Do a demo on a Triple before you jump. Trust me, you wont be disappointed.
Interesting. There is a Triumph dealer here and I'll check it out. The bike does have an excellent review.

I have no idea nor do I care how many motorcycles Suzuki is selling in the US. Further, I'm not really sure why you care. All that matters is that you or I like and enjoy our respective machines. Further I don't care if you or anyone else like what I buy or create nor should you. To get hostile over a guy expressing an opinion and repeating a reflective comment is a bit weird. And to get so worked up that you would post it on other web sites is very strange. Actually, with the economy the way it is, the dealers are "giving away" most toys now including my ZX 14. If your dealer won't deal, go somewhere else. As to the dealers remarks, again, I don't care if they are true or not nor did I ask my buddies thier respective opinions on the state of Hayabusa sales or even care to research the issue, but I will ask the dealer if he wants his name shared. All that being said I'm going riding now. It's 62 degrees and sunny.

BTW, I ditched the "George Formans" for a smooth carbon look. Hopefully, someone will come out with a tail mod for u guys!

There are a few people that are selling the replacement panels. I think Roaring Toys is one of them

Go to TRIUMPH check out SPEED TRIPLE 1050. BUSA And ZX14 are straight line bikes, If thats what your looking for,Speed Triple is a great bike with plenty power and fun to ride. Wheelie machine and great on the twisties, Hell if you want to go fast in straight line you already have the bike. Do a demo on a Triple before you jump. Trust me, you wont be disappointed.
I'm not sure where you got your information...

The 08 Busa can easily drag pegs on warm tires. I've been scraping my boots on a few corners already. I also know someone that ground the peg feelers off his ZX14 more than once in the two years he's had it.

If you think those bikes are strait line bikes meet me in Washington. I have a North Cascade mountain road calling your name. It will be dry and clear next summer.

:blink:

Warchild wrote:

Wonder how your insightful dealer can explain the fact that over 10,000 brand new Hayabusa's were sold in the USA this year alone. The 2007 model... when folks already knew a Gen II model was coming. 10,000 models sold, on a bike design 9 years old.
Please post your dealership name so I can send folks there to buy one. No, really. I am serious.
Since we're off topic, I'll continue. I travel up and down the east coast from Orlando to Baltimore quite a bit and stop in many of the bike dealerships to poke around and get a pulse on things.

First, I believe you may be referring to the '06 Busa sales (10,000) as Suzuki has not released official unit or dollar figures yet for '07. Mooniac's point, I believe, is correct in that most dealers report a serious slowdown in '07 sales and are selling ZX14's, Busa's, FJR's, and C-14 at a healthy discount. If this is not the case in the Pacific NW it sure is on the east coast. Haven't talked to them since Sept but you might try Orlando Yamaha & Kawasaki or Petersburg's (Virginia) Honda, Kaw, Suzuki, Yamaha. Can't remember the name but they are the only dealer there. Being close to all the Richmond dealers keeps them honest. Anyway, they had plenty of stock on all and some aggressive pricing. All the dealers I have talked to that carry BOTH Kaw and Suzuki say that they sell the Busa's about 2:1 over the ZX14 for various reasons but mostly because the Busa has such a following. Cycle sport in Daytona, where my FJR is serviced, had a good inventory also. I know they have a blue one on the showroom floor that is available.

To get back on topic - My take on this class of bike is that performance, acceleration specifically, is the appeal of these projectiles so I would have to say that the 08 Busa wins the "stupid fast" award. It is the last leapfrogger in the HP wars. Or wait for Kaw's next 200hp salvo. The Busa has a long list of performance suppliers (like it needs more power) which is important as it reportedly needs assistance, which Suzuki did not provide, to stay earthbound. If more sedate riding is your style the ZX14 is absolutely more user friendly to those of us with average riding skills, but then what is the point of either if that is the case?

I know this may seem like a dig, but it's not. I REALLY don't understand the appeal of the 1300cc class sportbike ala ZX14 and Busa outside of drag racing. But since that is another topic I'll start a separate thread and get some input to help me understand the appeal.

Hey flyguy, long time no speak. Your info is correct about the sales here in the east. I just think the guy who attacked me for expressing my opinion and repeating what I had HEARD about the sales was being a little overly sensitive as he had just made a purchase of the bike I was discussing. In fact, he was so upset that he pasted my comments on the BUSA board. Don't know why he or anyone would care so much about what I thought of his bike unless he himself is a bit unsure if he likes it. The Busa is an awesome performer and a blast to ride I just don't care for it aesthetically, just like I don't care for the looks of the C 14 over the FJR. BTW, I had my doors blown in by a new c 14 while riding my FJR. In fact, lots of the guys on his Busa list agreed with me and also don't care for the new design.

As to the thrill of the ZX 14 or and the Busa, for me it's all about the acceleration. That 0-130 on my 14 is breathtaking (closed course only of course). It truly is a thrill to ride. It also handles very well in turns and braking. Come on down and take it for a spin. You will see what I mean.