GP Suspension visit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson

Reaction score
Went to GP in Portland yesterday and had them install the Ohlins, as well as their own fork upgrade. I was pretty impressed with the shop. They machine their own valves and parts (even working on a triple clamp!) with some pretty high end expensive (like $300k!) Computer CNC machines. Comparing the stock FJR fork setup with the GP one really makes you appreciate where your money is being spent. GP has done almost 100 FJR's (plus mailed out a lot more kits), and says that the stock suspension is really the weak part of the bike, not able to handle the weight of the rider and the gear. At 13k, my suspension felt shot, the bike was very loose, and not particularly stable into corners or under hard braking.

But first:

Look at the difference b/t Gen I and Gen II internals.

SNC00243.jpg

The Gen I on the right has a nice strong washer where the spring sits, allowing an upgrade to new springs. The Gen II on the left, the springs sit on the teeny edges of the nut, barely supported. GP has heard stories of folks doing spring upgrades where the spring ends slip over the nut and collapse (this is only on Gen 2 bikes).

Also, the Gen II fork tubes are machined with less tolerance than the Gen I, leading to greatly increased bushing wear. Mine on the right have 13k miles, and you can see compared to new how the teflon has worn down.

SNC00246.jpg

Now compare the springs. The stock FJR's are pear shaped in the middle, whereas GP is much sturdier. Note the ends, which have a delrin ring with a machined washer.

SNC00244%20-%20Copy.jpg

SNC00245%20-%20Copy.jpg

The valves are also less impressive on the stock FJR. Stock on top, GP on the bottom. GP's valves let much more fluid through and allow much better control.

SNC00248%20-%20Copy.jpg

SNC00249.jpg

When they were done with the set up, I got on the bike and immediately noticed how much more solid it was. For the 250 mile trip home, I took 503 up the east side of Mt. St. Helens, up through FS90 and FS25/26. Oh my, the bike was quite solid. I felt immediately more comfortable. Under heaving braking, the bike no longer dives, it just squats. Into corners, much more predictable feel. On long high speed sweepers, the bike feels so planted.

Awesome upgrade. The guys walked me throught the entire install while I watched, stopping to show me the differences b/t theirs and stock, and explaining it all very simply. I am totally sold on this upgrade, and on GP's quality and attention to detail. Plus, they honored the group buy rate well after it had expired.

Go get yours done. You won't regret it. The bike now greatly exceeds my capabilities.

Excellent report Mr. Hudson!

..and your new suspension will get better as it breaks in...

I now make an annual pilgrimage to GPS for suspension refresh.

Why? Cause it's worth it!

Nice report Hudson. Improvements sound like they're well worth the investment. Now...would you bums stop doing everything you can to hurt my wallet. ;)

--G

I'm scheduled to have mine done July 26 right after WFO. Sounds like I'm going to enjoy my trip home.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be very interested in hearing of other options to upgrade my 2006 FJR's suspension. Oregon is a long way away so I'm looking for something that can be done here in Phoenix. One of my previous bikes ws a Suzuki VX800 and when I added Progressive Springs on the front and a Progressive Shock on the rear, I thought I had a better than new bike. Much more solid, less dive, better in the corners, etc. My current suspension handles OK as long as I am riding solo and with no luggage. But it is maxed out. If I add weight in any form, I am concerned about how it will affect the handling. Any ideas?

I would be very interested in hearing of other options to upgrade my 2006 FJR's suspension. Oregon is a long way away so I'm looking for something that can be done here in Phoenix. One of my previous bikes ws a Suzuki VX800 and when I added Progressive Springs on the front and a Progressive Shock on the rear, I thought I had a better than new bike. Much more solid, less dive, better in the corners, etc. My current suspension handles OK as long as I am riding solo and with no luggage. But it is maxed out. If I add weight in any form, I am concerned about how it will affect the handling. Any ideas?
You have 8 days till the RaceTech group buy ends. They are much closer - in Corona,CA.

Just sayin.

I don't think there are any wrong choices when choosing between RaceTech and GP.

Dave,

Most riders have noting but great things too say about the GP upgrade. What is the downside, besides cost? Did the firmer ride or lack of "soft/hard" adjustment make the longer ride more tiring?

Jim...you don't have to ride in. Pull the forks and ship them to GPS. Here's a link to an inexpensive stand to hold the front end of the bike up while you wait.

https://www.fjr1300.info/howto/frontstand.html Of course once the front is done you won't be happy with your shock! :)

Dave and the gang up there do some awesome work. Had him re-spring my R-1 right here at WSIR one day. Difference in the ride was amazing. He also helped me set the rebound and compression.

Good stuff.

Hmmmm, have to check his schedule and see if he is going to be in the area anytime soon.

Hudson. how about some more details on the name of the place. I googled GP in Portland and could find nothing.

Thanks

Hudson. how about some more details on the name of the place. I googled GP in Portland and could find nothing.
Try full name in the thread title, reviewed here, and multiple Group Buys with them.