GPS Bin-o Facts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRONAMISSION

Flying at the speed of smell ;))
Reaction score
To the forum.......

I have a thought/question... is it time for a GPS tech section, compiled from all our tech savvy members?? I have seen interest in how to share routes, load routes, make maps... which brand and format...

I came from the old school, hard copy, paper maps myself, but enjoy the technology that is now possible. I have spoken with other cycle riders and they all seem to have a private fix.

I would encourage the thread to be verified Bin-0-facts type format. In this era, the GPS is here to stay and any group collaboration for our members would be useful, no matter what unit is used... Tom-tom or Garmin or??.....Okay then, their is my .02....

I have talked with an admin and they agree, its time. so lets go collective

The quicker we put this into place, the better for all who struggle, new members, or just GPS challenged :blink:

====

START HERE

**GPS BASICS

GPS mapping & conversion utility program

**GPS UTILITY PROGRAM

** POI FACTORY

How to's on loading Google maps

**Converts Google Maps to gpx files

====

GPS Routes & Mapping Websites

**Mapping Website

**Mapping Website

====

Roads by state with great maps, descriptions, & rider comments

**Maps

**Maps

**Maps for sport bikes

**Maps

Cycle navigation forum

**Navigation Info Forum

Very current GPS topics, Nuvi760 fix here.

**GPS PASSION

=Garmin

=Nuvi 760** NUVI 760 FORUM

=Zumo 550 ** ZUMO FORUM**More Zumo Info CLICKY

=Magellan

=Tom Tom**Google maps to TomTom solution=unfortunately, for Windows Users only.

**Forum thread on Google discussion

==

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I'll start (really don't know what I'm supposed to do) :unsure:

Own a Zumo 550. love the MP3 player and transfer routes via Garmin Map Source.

Currently, when I have a problem/question with my Garmin 550 I go here. Clicky

OK I'll start (really don't know what I'm supposed to do) :unsure: Own a Zumo 550. love the MP3 player and transfer routes via Garmin Map Source.

Currently, when I have a problem/question with my Garmin 550 I go here. Clicky
===

Thanks for jumping in........ I will keep compiling info.......

== end of the week.... bump this back up........

Lets see .... anymore ideas out there??? I guess I will table this for awhile..... :blink:

== end of the week.... bump this back up........
Lets see .... anymore ideas out there??? I guess I will table this for awhile..... :blink:

This should be made a "sticky" under some logical heading. I use the GPS now and then, but do not have daily ideas to share, nor would I expect others to do the same.

It would be nice to have in handy so one doe not have to do a search to find this thread when the inpiration hits....

KM

I agree KM.... when the admins see fit.......... not much action on this lately, I have it sending me a weekly update for now.

B.............

This should be made a "sticky" under some logical heading. I use the GPS now and then, but do not have daily ideas to share, nor would I expect others to do the same.
It would only be made sticky when or if people start populating it....hint....hint.

Its' FAR from being ready for pinning. Threads that get pinned are ones with heavier traffic and use.

I have a tip that seems not widely known that pertains to Garmin products:

If you receive a route generated by a 2nd party, you load the route onto your unit & get the dreaded message "this route does not match available maps", try physically recalculating the route in your own computer software before downlaoding the route into the unit itself.

Recalculating your route can be done by: Have the route open in Mapsource. Click the :ROUTES" tab so that you can actually see the name of the route that you'd like to recalculate. Highlight the route name & right click. This will bring up quite a few options. Click on "recalculate".

I am guessing that this would work with a variety of different Garmin units that use Mapsux.

I'd think that this was common knowledge, but I've mentioned it a couple of times as a fix to this problem & there are folks not familiar w/ this technique that often works... well, at least for me it works.

I guess that I am confused.

I don't understand what the intent of this is. I read the original message and I DID gradumate from 2nd grade, so help u out a bit with what you intend to accomplish.

I'm fairly new to the world of Garmin, but I think I "get it" pretty well.

What I don't "get" is where we are going here...

As I have time I'll work on some info on the GPSMap series and post here when I have it done. I've been using 376c for a couple of years now and am VERY good with it, including info on XM radio and XM weather services.