GPS doesn't work when COLD

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blufjr

blufjr
Reaction score
I contacted Garmin because my GPS didn't work when I took off on a cold morning. I started working when the temperature warmed up.

I notified Garmin with this note:

My unit doesn't work when the temps are below approximately 39 degrees. I don't recall this being a problem before, but maybe I wasn't out using it in those cold temps. The unit is mounted to a motorcycle. When the temps get up in the 40's the unit comes back to life.

They responded with:

I will be happy to assist you today. The unit should not be used outdoors when the temperature is that cold. This will cause damage to the unit.

Say what?????

Is this common knowledge?

If so, that sucks.

What?!?!

What load of shiite!

Usually Garmin customer service is outstanding.

I have operated my GPS in temps down into the 20s on occasion and never had any problems with it. Nor have I EVER read anything about cold temps damaging the unit. Wonder what they think the exact temps are when you are supposed to stop using it?

What a load of BS.

That's odd Ken. I've used my 205W down well below 40 and into the mid 20's on our last Maupin trip. Never a hiccup or blip from the screen or unit...

--G

I contacted Garmin because my GPS didn't work when I took off on a cold morning. I started working when the temperature warmed up.

My unit doesn't work when the temps are below approximately 39 degrees. I don't recall this being a problem before, but maybe I wasn't out using it in those cold temps. The unit is mounted to a motorcycle. When the temps get up in the 40's the unit comes back to life.

They responded with:

I will be happy to assist you today. The unit should not be used outdoors when the temperature is that cold. This will cause damage to the unit.

Say what?????

If so, that sucks.
That is a load of crap, you must have gotten one of those outsourced helpdesk guys :dribble: look closely at my temp gage in the picture below, 23F and my Zumo550 is working just fine:

IMG_6092.jpg

Yet another example of Garmin's current state of affairs where they just make it up as they go . . . This isn't your father's Garmin, no siree.

Not sure what you have, but the Zumo 550 DOES have a startup issue when cold in any case, but the operating specification is 32 to 140 degrees F.

No harm whatsoever should come to the unit operationally to -20 (where the LCD freezes) and even then, because the panel is plastic you don't get permanent damage - My various units have spent days cold soaking at -40 without damage and they powered up just fine, though when the display is frozen it can take 10 minutes to update the screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I used my Garmin 478 just fine at 20 degrees. Of course it was initially at garage temp of around 30 degrees. I do not know how cold it got during the 20 minute ride. When I leave today, the GPS will be at 30 degrees so it should work based on my morning ride.

I switch my 2730 between the bike and car, but rarely bring it inside. I have it in the car right now and it's been averaging 13 degrees the last week at night. I turned it on yesterday morning to plug in an address. At 15F degrees It started fine, with touchscreen working properly.

I've noticed it was slugglish when I first turned it on the teens before, but find it tends to work better as it seems to warm up internally. While I can imagine they'd echo something like that when you called I've never heard that cold would damage it. Indoors or outdoors doesn't matter. In fact, their statement is contrary to the user user guide that says 5 degrees is the lower end.

No harm whatsoever should come to the unit operationally to -20 (where the LCD freezes) and even then, because the panel is plastic you don't get permanent damage - My various units have spent days cold soaking at -40 without damage and they powered up just fine, though when the display is frozen it can take 10 minutes to update the screen.

Agree with Bramfrank on this one. It's possible that what you are experiencing is a semi-liquid crystal display. The unit might be turning on, but the display is not indicating that the unit is on because it is all "stiffened-up" due to the temps. Cold temps can do weird things to these screens sometimes, and not all screens are created equal. Everyone pretty much agrees that they work better once warmed-up or once on for a while. Regardless, as reported, most of the Garmins, mine included, work just fine in sub-freezing temperatures. But I don't know what the real bottom limit is yet, it just don't get that cold here. The northern guys are better experienced to answer that.

Another consideration in very cold weather is that of contraction. As temps drop, we all know that molecules contract, and contract in some instances enough to cause intermittent connection or contact issues. Not saying this is your problem, just saying this is a possibility....especially considering an intermittent solder connection or a less-than perfectly mounted surface component on a circuit board. Has this ever happened before during normal temperatures?

I assume the unit is hard-wired to the bikes battery in some fashion. But if you are using the units internal battery only, then there is the possibility that the battery is getting a little marginal, and these temperature dips are all it takes to get the battery capacity below the minimum voltage/current threshold needed by the unit to start-up.

Just stabbing at possibilities with all of this. Hope you can figure out the problem.

They responded with:

Say what?????

If so, that sucks.
Any chance you followed up to the response that more clarification is needed and maybe asking what the units operating specs are? I mean the reply they gave begs a bit of return fire as they say.

Has this ever happened before during normal temperatures?
NO

I assume the unit is hard-wired to the bikes battery in some fashion. But if you are using the units internal battery only, then there is the possibility that the battery is getting a little marginal, and these temperature dips are all it takes to get the battery capacity below the minimum voltage/current threshold needed by the unit to start-up.
Garmin 2730 must be wired to the bike, as it has no battery.

Any chance you followed up to the response that more clarification is needed and maybe asking what the units operating specs are? I mean the reply they gave begs a bit of return fire as they say.
Why yes I did. Told them that was total BS.

Got another reply today, but it is just guessing to the cause and suggests updating the firmware. Well it works fine when the temps come up so I don't think that the firmware would be a problem, unless some firmware doesn't work when it gets really cold. :crazy: