GPS for your PDA Options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalMike

Reaction score
I've been considering a GPS unit that displays via bluetooth on my Treo 650 Phone/PDA. The cost of this setup is considerably less than a dedicated GPS unit (about $100 - $300) and, from what I've been able to gather so far, works just as well. The GPS receivers look relatively small and some of the bundled packages come with a holder for the Treo.

Here are a couple of links for reference:

TomTom Navigator 5 USA + Holux GPSlim236

TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 – Bluetooth

Microsoft Street & Trips 2006 USA + OnCourse SiRF Star III Bluetooth GPS Receiver

Of course none of these would be an all-weather solution but you don't need to use GPS 100% of the time. If I really had to use it in inclement weather I think I'd just keep everything in my tankbag and get one that accepts the optional external GPS antenna. I could still hear the turn-by-turn directions through my chatterbox headset.

I'm leaning towards the TomTom software bundle mostly because I like the 3D view that's available and it's capable of using the address book in my PDA to navigate from.

Appreciate your suggestions/comments... Thanks :)

SoCalMike;

I don't have a GPS Phone, but do use a GPS with my Dell Axim PDA. Different s/w and h/w. Functions great and can load 1/2 the countrys "detail" maps as the GPS card I have includes 512MB memory in addition to another 1GB SD card I have available.

If you not familiar with current GPS the all have a "BASE" map. This basically only includes Interstates and state hwys. If you want Local roads, POI's (Points of interest), then you need to install detailed maps. This is where having the most memory available and high speed trasfer comes into play. The more memory you have available, and the highest transfer speed to it (USB vs Serial for example) the better off you'll be.

I can tell you I ave heard good things about the TOM TOM software. An added benefit if your Phone is GPRS compatible then the TOM TOM software can give you weather updates. Very handy for a motorcycle.

My only concerns would be will the screen on a cell phone be large enough to read the information on the screen while riding?, How much detailed maps can I install with the amount of memory available to me on the phone.

-=SF=-

Thanks for the feedback Speedfreak. I have the Sprint PCS (CDMA) version of the phone so it doesn't appear that I'll be able to take advantage of the GPRS weather updates. Definitely would have been a nice option to have...

I agree with you about the screen size. Trying to read the tiny Palm screen while the bike is moving probably wouldn't be a very smart idea (if possible at all). I'm mainly interested in the verbal turn-by-turn directions and integration with my PDA contact database. The fact that the TomTom software does have LARGE turn arrows should help with the occasional glance at the screen if I needed to take a look while riding.

You mentioned that your Nav software works great. Which one are you using and have you found it to be easily readable or have any notable features that made you choose it over the others?

I have the Garmin Blue Tooth unit. It's magnetic, so it sticks to the tank, and weather-proof, so rain won't short it out. The S/W seems pretty good, and it comes with maps and a license for them Seems to work pretty well, acquires positions REALLY fast and connects via BlueTooth very well. Since my PDA is also a phone (HP IPAQ 6515) I can use it for the B/Tooth helmet headset at the same time, or in the car with a Motorola B/T headset. I like it in the car better than other portables since the unit is on the dashboard and VERY small, but the control is where I can see it.

I have the Garmin Blue Tooth unit.  It's magnetic, so it sticks to the tank, and weather-proof, so rain won't short it out.  The S/W seems pretty good, and it comes with maps and a license for them  Seems to work pretty well, acquires positions REALLY fast and connects via BlueTooth very well.  Since my PDA is also a phone (HP IPAQ 6515) I can use it for the B/Tooth helmet headset at the same time, or in the car with a Motorola B/T headset.  I like it in the car better than other portables since the unit is on the dashboard and VERY small, but the control is where I can see it.
Thanks Yanktar. Sounds like a nice unit. The water proof case and magnetic mounts are pretty good ideas. In addition to mounting it on the FJR tank, I could mount it on the OUTSIDE of the car to acquire the best signal. Hmmm... That would keep me from having to string a wire to an external antenna. :clap:

SoCalMike,

I use an IPaq 4705 PDA that has a great decent size screen. It has a bluetooth receiver. The receiver and Ipaq can be operated with batteries or they can connected to your bikes power source. It has the HP navigation system, which I find to be a solid and easy to use software.

The IPAQ and Bluetooth receiver combination navigation system is far better than the OEM Naviagation System that came with my 2003 Toyota Land Cruiser.

It is a very portable system.

Don :detect:

I have the Garmin Blue Tooth unit.  It's magnetic, so it sticks to the tank, and weather-proof, so rain won't short it out.  The S/W seems pretty good, and it comes with maps and a license for them  Seems to work pretty well, acquires positions REALLY fast and connects via BlueTooth very well.  Since my PDA is also a phone (HP IPAQ 6515) I can use it for the B/Tooth helmet headset at the same time, or in the car with a Motorola B/T headset.  I like it in the car better than other portables since the unit is on the dashboard and VERY small, but the control is where I can see it.
Thanks Yanktar. Sounds like a nice unit. The water proof case and magnetic mounts are pretty good ideas. In addition to mounting it on the FJR tank, I could mount it on the OUTSIDE of the car to acquire the best signal. Hmmm... That would keep me from having to string a wire to an external antenna. :clap:
Antenna? Why bother? Just put in on the dashboard with velcro or a stick a magnetic plate on the dash. Works just dandy, and being only 3/4" high, doesn't obstruct your view. I have a cup-holder that pops out over the radio--with a change drawer--it drops in there perfectly--even shuts in it.

Even my Street Pilot doesn't acquire as well.

Thanks FJRDON and Yanktar. My only concern was signal reception. If the units are able to acquire without direct line of sight to the satellites then it sounds like they have a bit more sensitivity than my old hand-held GPS units from years past. They didn't acquire anything in the house so I think that may have biased my view towards needing to stick the units outside of the car but since both of your units appear to work fine internal to the car I will probably just go without the antenna to start.

Thanks again for the helpful feedback! - Mike

The latest gps are very good some of them are even 20 channel ,the latest being sirf III they will work inside a car easily as long as you dont have a reflective coated windscreen

And otterbox do waterproof boxes for pda that you can mount on a bike as well

Hope this helps

Thanks for the feedback Speedfreak.  I have the Sprint PCS (CDMA) version of the phone so it doesn't appear that I'll be able to take advantage of the GPRS weather updates.  Definitely would have been a nice option to have...
I agree with you about the screen size.  Trying to read the tiny Palm screen while  the bike is moving probably wouldn't be a very smart idea (if possible at all).  I'm mainly interested in the verbal turn-by-turn directions and integration with my PDA contact database.  The fact that the TomTom software does have LARGE turn arrows should help with the occasional glance at the screen if I needed to take a look while riding.

You mentioned that your Nav software works great.  Which one are you using and have you found it to be easily readable or have any notable features that made you choose it over the others?
Mike;

The software I am using is iGuidance 2.01

Resons for using it: It was known to work with my GPS reciever and PDA.

The screen size of my PDA is very readable and the turn by turn feature is easily readable as well. The unit supports voice but I don't use that feature for a m/c. I have yet come by an audio solution I like.

Hope that helps

-=SF=-

I have installed a Garmin iQue3600 PDA on my bike but rarely use it anymore.

The screen is hardly readable and the signal reception in other than flat areas is not good.

As soon as the unit loses one satellite it starts acting up, like telling you to do a "U" in the middle of a switchback or something.

It will also occasionally freeze on a given map and no longer show the pointer indicating your position. You then have to stop the bike, pull off your gloves, reach for the stylus and touch a dedicated key to find out WTF you are.

This unit just does not know how close it's been to being trampled to dearh on several occasions :D

Works fine in the car, though. On business trips in a rental it's worked very well.

Doing a Quick Sync with your PC every couple weeks is recommended in order to reinstate some functions that may have lapsed.

Stef

I have installed a Garmin iQue3600 PDA on my bike but rarely use it anymore.The screen is hardly readable and the signal reception in other than flat areas is not good.

As soon as the unit loses one satellite it starts acting up, like telling you to do a "U" in the middle of a switchback or something.

It will also occasionally freeze on a given map and no longer show the pointer indicating your position. You then have to stop the bike, pull off your gloves, reach for the stylus and touch a dedicated key to find out WTF you are.

This unit just does not know how close it's been to being trampled to dearh on several occasions  :D

Works fine in the car, though. On business trips in a rental it's worked very well.

Doing a Quick Sync with your PC every couple weeks is recommended in order to reinstate some functions that may have lapsed.

Stef
Wow!

That's like my Rino 120! Looks hardy but is a piece of junk--sent it back for repairs and they replaced it with new ones twice. It looks tough with its olive green military rugged case, but it's all for show. My first Garmin, a simple GPS 40 that didn't even have maps, just longitude and latitude and took FOREVER to synch with satellites, is bullet-proof--and waterproof. You can't kill it. It uses a battery case where you slide the batteries in the end and lock them down--you NEVER lose contact. For its time it was awesome.

The Rino, tho has a standard radio-type battery install--and they cannot stand the vibration from a bike or other stuff. The S/W locks up and the ONLY way to reset is pull the batteries for 10 minute. I found it to be TOTALLY unreliable and let me down whenever I needed it, even as just an FRS.

The StreetPilot III is also bullet-proof. But loading maps is an incredible pain and memory is overpriced and inadequate. But the unit ALWAYS works.

The Garmin BlueTooth follows the tough model. It talks to my IPAQ PDA, so all the PDA functions are NOT handled by Garmin. Linking is easy. the s/w is still a bit of a mystery to me--eventually I can get it to do what I want. But I consider that me. The B/T GPS catches the satellites faster than any of the other units, even the S/P which is pretty amazing. It's about the size of half a pack of cigarettes--about the size of the very smallest cell phones. Of course, memory isn't an issue because the maps are stored in the PDA--the GPS just give the long/lat/time tick. As SD chips are now 2gig for a reasonable price, you can pack a lot of maps in. No special computer connections (a la the Street Pilot)--just the PDA's link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of good suggestions... Including some GPS units to definitely avoid! ;)

Sounds like this PDA/GPS combo is working well for several users so I'm definitely going to make the plunge today.

Tontofjr, you mentioned the new SiRF III chipset being able to acquire up to 20 satellites. There is a new unit using the RFMD chipset (RIKALINE) That can acquire up to 32 satellites. Obviously you only need 3 or 4 satellites to fix your position but the availability of the additional channels helps to ensure your GPS has more "options" to draw upon when looking for the strongest available signals. I've read a couple of (supposed) independent reviews that showed the Rikaline had a very fast time to first fix based on this feature. This unit also brags about its sensitivity so we'll see. I'll be the guinea pig and write a review after I've had a chance to use it for a few days...

I just bought a bluetooth GPS and iGuidance navigation software for my PPC.

Got this combo, after discount ended up being $170 for the set. Bonus is that the software comes with a PC version, too: Click-o-rama.

It will tell me turn directions through my recently added Autocom system. With all the exhaustive miles I drive, this will be a big bonus. :eh:

I should have it Friday and will be riding it on Saturday: will post results then!

-BD

Just thought I'd share my email exchanges with the technical staff at BUYGPSNOW.COM They were quite helpful and I changed my selections based on these posts... :D

Question:I'm looking to purchase a software + GPS solution that has the following attributes:

1. Hardware with best sensitivity (will work INSIDE my rental cars and home (I'll be doing a lot of playing with it inside my house)).

2. Software works with my Treo 650 (added points if it will also work with my laptop.

3. Bluetooth compatibility (for both Treo and Laptop).

4. Extended Battery life

5. Seamless PDA integration

6. Planned for use in rental cars and also while riding my motorcycle.

Would appreciate your feedback for the HW+SW solutions you recommend.

Thanks!

- Mike

Solution:

1) Any SiRF Star III chipset BT GPS works well. Top choice is the OnCourse SiRF Star III https://www.buygpsnow.com/item.aspx?itemid=474

2) TomTom NAV 5: https://www.buygpsnow.com/item.aspx?itemid=490 (purchase as a bundle package)

3) Yes for 100% sure on Treo 650 but for laptop, your laptop's Bluetooth integrated module must support Serial port portocol in order to communicate with any BT GPS.

4) #1 recommended above has 17 hrs, one of the longest batt. operation time. Life is pretty much the same charge cycles on all units.

5) Go with the windshield mount on the bundle recommended (2) above and add bike mount for riding on motorcycle: https://www.buygpsnow.com/item.aspx?itemid=213

Questions:Thank you for your suggestions. I've ordered the components you’ve recommended and I'm looking forward to their arrival.

I am curious about your preference of the SiRF III over the RFMD chipset found in the Rikaline 6033. What little I know about these types of GPS units I was expecting your  recommendation to designate the unit that acquired the most satellites. Is there a reason that the SiRF III units were preferred over the others? Again, just curious and appreciate your rapid responses.

Regards, Mike

Solution:

Rikaline 6033 does not update heading, position, speed in walking mode (lower than 5mph) as well as the SiRF Star III. 

So, using 6033 for navigation by foot in a city or any outdoor activity is not going to be a good experience.

Overall GPS performance. you will be satisfied by the performance of SiRF more than the 6033.

Just thought I'd post an update to the GPS via PDA...

I'm using a Treo 650 with TomTom maps loaded onto a 2GB SD memory card. You could probably load all the street maps in the entire US on a single 1GB memory card but the 2GB gives you a little more room for other apps including MP3 music files. I mounted the Treo on a Techmount stand. Here it is showing day-time colors:

aIMG_0506.jpg

Nighttime colors (these pics are slightly fuzzy because I disabled the flash to prevent glare)

aIMG_0505.jpg

There are two ways to interface the Treo to the Chatterbox.

Using the two-way AUX input on the Chatterbox (using a 2.5mm-2.5mm audio cable) I can hear the directions (in mono) and I can also talk clearly on my cell phone when a call comes through. Those that have talked to me via this configuration say they can barely tell I'm riding my motorcycle. I guess the noise-cancelling microphone on the Chatterbox headset is doing its job. The problem with this configuration is that the MP3 sounds terrible AND there is no volume control.

The Treo can also be connected via the AUDIO input on the Chatterbox using a 2.5mm - 3.5mm audio cable. The sound quality of the turn-by-turn directions and MP3 player are much better (stereo) but this is a one-way configuration. You will not be able to send voice back to the Treo. You can hear when someone calls you but they can't hear you talk back through this connection. Again, still no volume control.

aIMG_0509.jpg

Here is the car mount kit. The base has connections to charge both the Treo and the GPS (even though the GPS can go for 17hours on a charge the capability is there if you need it). The base unit has a built-in speaker/amplifier so I can hear the directions very clearly in the car. This mount has a hefty suction cup and articulating arm that is rock solid when the car is underway...

bIMG_0522.jpg

bIMG_0527.jpg

The only shortfalls I have are the result of the Chatterbox (no volume controls, either get to use the MP3 (stereo setup) or the cell phone setup (mono) but not both. I would be interested in trying this setup with the Autocom or Starcom.

Despite these minor shortfalls I'm pretty happy with this setup - especially the performance of the TomTom software and the GPS. I'm able to acquire satellites even when my bike is sitting in the garage with the metal garage door down.

Total cost for GPS, TomTom software, car mount kit, and shipping came to $265.. :D

Mike, you forgot to show them the milkshake maker, toaster, kitchen sink, microwave, and the direct tv!...lol I'm still looking for compatible software for my Samsung i730...btw are you back yet from the big lights of vegas?

Mike, you forgot to show them the milkshake maker, toaster, kitchen sink, microwave, and the direct tv!...lol  I'm still looking for compatible software for my Samsung i730...btw are you back yet from the big lights of vegas?
:haha: :D

Yep! Back in the saddle again... at least until Sunday then off to Dallas for the week.

Where did you get the adapter cables and how do you have it configured? I have Treo 650 and Chatterbox FRS and could not get them working together at all.