GPS for your PDA Options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did you get the adapter cables and how do you have it configured?  I have  Treo 650 and Chatterbox FRS and could not get them working together at all.
Shadowfax, finding the cables was probably one of the hardest parts of the whole setup. I searched Radio Shack, Fryes, Circuit City, etc... I eventually had to settle for the over-priced CHATTERBOX CELL PHONE CABLE for $19.99 (the dealership where I purchased the Chatterbox had it in stock).

I used this cable to connect my cell phone's 2.5mm connection to the 2.5mm AUX input on the Chatterbox. The AUX uses one of the cables conductors for SEND and one conductor for RECEIVE (which is why you won't get stereo sound). Connected like this the phone works perfectly with no additional setup required. If you tried connecting to the AUDIO input, the cell phone won't work that way since that's a receive-only input. You can't send voice back to the cell phone through this connection. You'll be able to hear but not talk back to someone.

My GPS car kit came with a 2.5 - 3.5mm cable. I used this same straight-through cable to connect my cell phone to the AUDIO (3.5mm) input on the Chatterbox.

I just did a quick search and it looks like you can buy the 2.5 - 2.5mm cable for about $4.99 online.

Last edited by a moderator:
It took me a couple of tries to order the Chatterbox cable (the retail packages apparantly don't have the part #?) but I could not get it to work using that either.

I was also trying the ClearerCom throat mic which I wound up deciding was comple crap. Maybe I should re-examine a pure Chatterbox method now that someone has confirmed it does actually work.

Thanks,

Josh

Check out my post on this other topic...
Nice looking PDA here...  https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=5513

Warp
Very nice PDA/GPS unit.

I like how they integrated the GPS antenna into the body of the unit and also the larger display. My only problem with it is the fact that they replaced the phone capability.

It seems there's always a trade-off. Either a PHONE/PDA and have to use an external GPS receiver or you can have the GPS/PDA and have to use an external phone.

I'll be glad when somebody combines all three into a small enough package.

I was initially looking at the new Blackberry 7100 series since it does all three but you would have to pay a monthly fee for that setup.

check my link again.... and go find the HP Ipaq 6900

thats got everything included... to be released early summer I believe..

and then it shouldn't be long before some co. comes out with a good set of Bluetooth stereo headsets for the Helmets...

all of it...

check my link again.... and go find the HP Ipaq 6900
thats got everything included...  to be released early summer I believe..

and then it shouldn't be long before some co. comes out with a good set of Bluetooth stereo headsets for the Helmets...

all of it...
Wow! You're right, I didn't scroll down far enough on that link. That 6900 has everything! GPS/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/PDA/Phone... Only shortfall I could see was the use of a mini-SD slot (1GB) versus a SD slot (4GB cards available) but that's really nitpicking...

Looks like I'll still be changing phones this summer but it probably won't be a Treo 700 after all! :eek:k:

I agree, why go to a smaller form factor then SD is already....

to me thats just stupid.. either way, I think that if your lookin for the phone type all in one, the Ipaq is a nicer solution then the Sprint ppc-6600/Verizon VX-6700, not that I don't like the sprint, just that 4 hour batter under moderate to heavy use is horrible, those are figures I read on multiple reviews, I think its a really awesome phone in a nice small package, with the slide out keyboard... sweet..

We'll have to see how the roll out on the HP comes along...

As much as I like the Asus, I would really like to have an all in one, but if it comes down to battery life again with the HP I'll be headed over to pick up the Asus...

good review on the Asus Here

Hey SoCalMike,

Check out this post a while back: My Audio Heaven

My Sprint PPC-6600 (with extended battery - lasts forever. In fact, I talk about about 6000 minutes/month, and I have about 20% left on the battery at the end of each day, and I use Bluetooth and I use it heavily for all my PIM, so don't read that review bulldoody) has a single 2.5mm jack for stereo music and microphone. It is four conductor. Is this the same as the Treo? If so, let me know, I will give you the P/N for the cable, and you can make your own ans split the stereo audio and mono microphone so you get it all, as I do in my setup.

-BD

Hey SoCalMike,

My Sprint PPC-6600 (with extended battery - lasts forever. In fact, I talk about about 6000 minutes/month, and I have about 20% left on the battery at the end of each day, and I use Bluetooth and I use it heavily for all my PIM, so don't read that review bulldoody) has a single 2.5mm jack for stereo music and microphone. It is four conductor. Is this the same as the Treo? If so, let me know, I will give you the P/N for the cable, and you can make your own ans split the stereo audio and mono microphone so you get it all, as I do in my setup.

-BD
Brundog, sounds like a great setup. In fact, your setup is what I wanted to experiment with but I couldn't find a 4-conductor cable anywhere. I have the accessory stereo headphones/microphone for the Treo and it uses a 4-conductor connector similar to your PDA. I was considering cutting the end off the headphones but if you have that P/N info available that would be much appreciated (and save me from destroying a set of perfectly good headphones too!).

I also have voice recognition software loaded on the Treo. The software I'm using seems to work fairly well in the noisy environment of a motorcycle helmet (I also use a Scorpion 700).

Hey SoCalMike,

-BD
Brundog, sounds like a great setup. In fact, your setup is what I wanted to experiment with but I couldn't find a 4-conductor cable anywhere. I have the accessory stereo headphones/microphone for the Treo and it uses a 4-conductor connector similar to your PDA. I was considering cutting the end off the headphones but if you have that P/N info available that would be much appreciated (and save me from destroying a set of perfectly good headphones too!).

I also have voice recognition software loaded on the Treo. The software I'm using seems to work fairly well in the noisy environment of a motorcycle helmet (I also use a Scorpion 700).
Order from DigiKey: CP-254S-ND made by CUI.

It will set you back a whopping 4.89, but they have a surcharge for minimum orders.

It has pigtail ends, so you will need to buy 3.5 mm male jacks to plug into your amp/mixer/etc.

-BD

whoops... sorry about the mistake in the numbers...

I was talking about the Sprint PPC-6700 and the Verizon VX-6700

both identical units that have all the features, but the battery life is horrible...

Warp