gps install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not the first owner of this bike and one of the former owners installed a plug receptacal on the fairing panel under the rt handlebar.This outlet won't work for my unit but due to the fact that there was a hole already drilled there I think I will try to install a waterproof outlet in this area unless it is extremely ugly.. My garmin will not be installed on my bike most of the time, just on trips outside of the city so a unused covered plug will be OK there, and I wont mind a lighter plug sticking up in the air for those other occasions when the gps will come in handy. I wish I could have afforded a zumo but the nuvi was more at the end of my budget with the bad luck I have had this year.

Other that being water proof does the zumo really offer that much more that i would use?
they are more glove friendly, and some offer BT helmet integration and XM. Maybe better glare reduction.

Otherwise, a Nuvi that allows for routes can do a lot of what the Zumo does, for a lot less.

If I'm gonna plunk down that much, I'm gonna go all the way and get a 478 or something similar.

Well my garmin is a nuvi 1490t...l..I guess I can mount a lighter adapter inside of the glovebox and that way my cable will still be saved....

I did try to find the Garmin wiring kit but no luck.
It didn't look like a cable you could cut up and hard wire, so I stayed with the stock bulky 1490T Nuvi cable.

Went to a boat store and got a marine grade cigarette receptical. Put it switched loose in the glove box. Excess (semi-fat) Nuvi wire gets coiled in the glove box where it connects to the receptical. Since I don't put much of anything else in there, it works. I dremeled a very small lip so the Nuvi wire could exit the box toward the left handlebar. Not elegant, but it worked great for a 7K mile trip, and continues to serve well part time when needed.

The 'marine grade' not really necessary, but can be flush mounted, has a rubber cover when not used. Most importantly it is more robust than similar Ratshack product.

The 1490T is a great device for the price, has memory to store 10 routes. But no 'line out' for ear phone, which is important if you'd like to hear it while riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was kind of looking at it from the technology advance point of view..

Gps seems to be moving ahead extremely fast in advancements.

This way ill buy a good one now .. keep it about 3 years and grab another one... until the technology slows down some