GPS...mount it where?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my experience, I'm personally not a big fan of stem-mounting a GPS. A couple of reasons: 1) Safety concerns. Your left hand must travel too far from where it's supposed to be on the bike to use the device while under way (yes, I know this is never advisable under any circumstances but it's done nonetheless). Same for your eyes. You must physically tilt your head down too look at the device to glean any information of value from it. Anything that requires you to move your eyes to a point below the horizon is not good IMHO (I'd be a huge fan of a "heads-up" tach, speedo, temp and fuel display). For this very reason, I leave the stem position for any "set-it-and-forget-it" device such as a music player or satellite radio. 2) With a tank bag of any consequence (and assuming a GPS with a screen readable at a distance of ~24"), the GPS must be positioned such that it partially obscures the view of the tach and speedo. - at least foir me.

I ration that for the same reason motorcycle designers put the bike's significant controls out by the grips, the best place for a GPS is in the same vicinity (though specifically by your left hand). That position (for me) allows me to maintain full view of the device (if not directly at least in periphery) without having to turn my head more than a few degrees to the left (but never below the horizon), and my hand never need travel more than a few inches from the left grip to access other screens/functions of the device.

I used a ball mount on the hole in the clutch master cylinder. The 2610 mounted there works very well. Remove the mounting clamp and a inconspicuous ball is all thats left.

I have decided to give this mounting base a try...

FJRgps4.jpg

It mounts to those two screws just in front of the tak and delivers a 1" ram ball that won't move when the handlebars are turned. I will let you know if it works.

Thanks for all of the input!

This is a silly question but for stem mounts, is there anything magic to removing the OEM nut and installing the Techmount nut other than the torque wrench & 36mm socket? Can bike be on side stand or should it be on center stand? Do parts go flying when removing the stem nut? Anything to lookout for?
I'd pop it on the center stand, but no parts are going to fly at all.

The shelf I use is from FJRGoodies. I also have my radar detector mounted on that shelf.
Could you be more specific about that shelf and how you found it on their site? I can't seem to locate it.
No expert, but 1/2 way down the page might be the one Clickie

Edit: Damn, beat to the punch :p

Last edited by a moderator:
FJRgps4.jpg

It mounts to those two screws just in front of the tak and delivers a 1" ram ball that won't move when the handlebars are turned. I will let you know if it works.

Where did you get that mount, I can't make out the name on it in that pic ??

Has anyone used a powerlet cable from a left hand powerlet installed on the bike (A model in way of the little cover) to the center mounted GPS? Is a 12" cable length enough? I've got the cable to permanently wire into a fuse block or battery but don't really want all this stuff on the bike all the time except for the mount. Any ideas out there or should I just get over it?

Here the link for that bhttps://www.adventurersworkshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MIGSEL_FJR1300_GPS&Category_Code=CLOSEOUTS

FJRgps4.jpg

Here the link for that bhttps://www.adventurersworkshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MIGSEL_FJR1300_GPS&Category_Code=CLOSEOUTS

FJRgps4.jpg

Does anyone know of a mount (shelf?) that would let me mount th GPS over the SpeedO? I like the idea of the GPS being more in my line of sight - and a little farther away so I can read it better - but I don't really like the look of, or need the space, the shelf that runs completely across the dash.

This is a silly question but for stem mounts, is there anything magic to removing the OEM nut and installing the Techmount nut other than the torque wrench & 36mm socket? Can bike be on side stand or should it be on center stand? Do parts go flying when removing the stem nut? Anything to lookout for?

Nothing goes flying just remove and install and torque new one.