GPS...mount it where?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If yer gonna take that nut off you might as well check the main fork torque while yer at it. Takes a special tool, though.

The shelf I use is from FJRGoodies. I also have my radar detector mounted on that shelf.
Could you be more specific about that shelf and how you found it on their site? I can't seem to locate it.
https://www.fjrgoodies.com/topgun.cfm

Top Gun ECM Shelf

Price: $70.00/each

some more shots here https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=101104
Yes, that's the one I have. I don't know if they make one to fit the Gen II FJR. The advantage of the Topgun shelf over the other ones I've seen is that it leaves room for the vStrom hand guards, they just barely fit, but the other shelves don't work at all with the hand guards.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a silly question but for stem mounts, is there anything magic to removing the OEM nut and installing the Techmount nut other than the torque wrench & 36mm socket? Can bike be on side stand or should it be on center stand? Do parts go flying when removing the stem nut? Anything to lookout for?

Nothing goes flying just remove and install and torque new one.
I had to remove the windscreen because of the length of my torque wrench. You torque that sucker to 85 ft./lbs., so I recommend the side stand since it's a bit more stable if you push/pull towards it. '03 owners need a 32mm socket to get the old nut off (outer diameter was different for that year though the internal diameter and threads are the same). That's it, though. No tricks. Just spin the old off and the new one on.

Well, thanks for holding my hand guys. Stem mount came in today, Z550 yesterday, all mounted & installed in 30 minutes this afternoon. Now, how do you work this thing. Maybe tomorrow.

Put my Techmount on yesterday, while using the Autozone loaner program for the 36mm socket. Nice tip from the forum; I was thinking I was going to have to buy that socket.

I'm just going to wire the 550 to the battery for right now, and my question is regarding the ground. Connect to the negative post on the battery, or find a good metallic ground on the bike? Sorry for such a noob question....

Put my Techmount on yesterday, while using the Autozone loaner program for the 36mm socket. Nice tip from the forum; I was thinking I was going to have to buy that socket.
I'm just going to wire the 550 to the battery for right now, and my question is regarding the ground. Connect to the negative post on the battery, or find a good metallic ground on the bike? Sorry for such a noob question....
Wire the ground directly to the battery. If you use the chassis as a ground you invite corrosion.

Wire the ground directly to the battery. If you use the chassis as a ground you invite corrosion.
Thanks, Geezer.

I'm about to mount my Nuvi 250 and found some great info here, thanks.

I like above the speedo, in a more heads up position but without the shelf.

So I'm still looking.

I have a Garmin Streetpilot C550. Since I have a couple of bikes, I wanted something that would allow me to move the GPS and my Motocomm ST-1 (intercom, phone, GMRS radio, music) unit between bikes quickly. What I did was to cut a hole for the GPS to show through the map pocket of one of my bagster tank bags. Then I strapped the GPS in from the back. The touch screen works fine through the clear map window and there is some added weather protection as the C550 isn't weatherproof.

2520275320098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

Here you can see how the GPS is held in place and the ST-1 fits neatly in the mesh pocket on the back side of the bag's lid. The cardboard is there to stiffen the bag's lid and to give me something to strap the GPS to. I may get a piece of thin plywood to replace it eventually.

2458803150098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

The C550 gives me mp3 playback and turn by turn audio. It will also bluetooth to my cell phone but I have not yet figured a good way to get the microphone audio from the Motocomm box to the GPS's mike jack for the phone.

The down side to having it in the bag is that you have to look down to see the screen, mess with the audio, etc. I do have a stem mount for the FJR that I will eventually end up using to get the GPS up higher, but have yet to work out a mounting method for my GPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a c330 in my car. What kind of mount and where did it go. Can I move it back to the car easly?
The Frankenstein screws and the bungee cord IS the mount.

These mods have absolutely no effect on the car mount cradle.