GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambler

Reaction score
After pfaffing about with the smartphone GPS, overheating dead phone, etc., executive decision has been made to invest in a standalone GPS. I am told Zumo's are 'Motorcycle friendly'. But the prices are way our there. Few IBA riders suggested the NUVI range with added waterproofing.

I'm leaning toward the 2797LM Garmin Nuvi 2797LMT.

Any thoughts, comments, alternatives I can look at?

Wishlist:

• 5-7" screen
  • Basecamp compatible - so that I can load up locations/waypoints for events like the Grand Tour of Georgia and then use the GPS to plan out a route based on 'current' location
  • Bluetooth - to run through my Scala G9 Headset.
Thanks!

bike.gif

After pfaffing about with the smartphone GPS, overheating dead phone, etc., executive decision has been made to invest in a standalone GPS. I am told Zumo's are 'Motorcycle friendly'. But the prices are way our there. Few IBA riders suggested the NUVI range with added waterproofing.
I'm leaning toward the 2797LM Garmin Nuvi 2797LMT.

Any thoughts, comments, alternatives I can look at?

Wishlist:

• 5-7" screen
  • Basecamp compatible - so that I can load up locations/waypoints for events like the Grand Tour of Georgia and then use the GPS to plan out a route based on 'current' location
  • Bluetooth - to run through my Scala G9 Headset.
Thanks!

bike.gif
Look around for a refurbished Zumo660. The Nuvi's are nice, and can be had for less money, but it's a compromise going with a car GPS. If money is a huge factor, then get what you can afford. If you can afford it, but just don't wanna spend it, bite the bullet on this one and go the MC specific route.

The only units that will give you directions via Bluetooth to your helmet are the motorcycle specific ones (Garmin Zumo and TomTom Rider). When the others talk about being Bluetooth capable they just mean you can control your phone through it. I bought a second hand 550 with lifetime maps and a Touratech locking mount for $300 on another forum. The screen is smaller than a 660, but it wasn't $700.

I used to use a Garmin 1490LMT in a RAM Aquabox and just rely on watching the screen, but the vibrations from the handlebars on my old bike finally got to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
also be aware that the nuvi series are not as vibration proof at the zumo series. High frequency buzzing will slowly but surely kill the nuvi. I've seen it happen on more than one occasion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a great write up on the 2797, mounting in the water resistant case and modding it to connect to an audio system :) Edit - a link would be handy...

https://www.gregrice.com/2012v2/2797/garmin2797.html
Seems 2797 will not bluetooth into my Scala G9? That's a bummer! Neither does it have a headphone jack.

Excellent mod and write up though. Thanks, Justin.
Not my write up, just passing it along :)
Yup. I meant Thanks for sharing that write up.

Look around for a refurbished Zumo660. The Nuvi's are nice, and can be had for less money, but it's a compromise going with a car GPS. If money is a huge factor, then get what you can afford. If you can afford it, but just don't wanna spend it, bite the bullet on this one and go the MC specific route.
I will agree with the ugly guy from New Mexico on this one. Going with the Zumo gives you a more motorcycle specific product with less worries and accessorizing required to make it work. It is only money and it is no good until you spend it.

I use a Nuvi similar to the 2797 you mention. I don't recall the exact model number at the moment though. I couldn't get it to synch with my cardo. I have a SHO-1 instead of a G9 but I think the internals are the same. Honestly, after using it a few times on the FJR, I don't really care about it not synching to my helmet. Mine is mounted on the steering stem nut and it is easily visible. In bright sunlight directly overhead the car GPS display isn't the best but most times it isn't a big deal. Works well enough for me but I kinda like getting lost on my FJR. lol. My wife says I do it on purpose.

Btw.. I live up 400 out of Atlanta riding a Gen II also. You might be a neighbor. :)

I've been using an older Nuvi750 (was a re-furbished unit I bought on the cheap just to see how well it would work) in a RAM wheather-proof box for several years (at least 6 maybe longer) and not had any issues. Been through a LOT of rain but never had any issues with the GPS getting wet or having problems. The older GARMIN models had the built-in MP3 players and included a headphone jack port. This is connected directly into my Autocom with a long 3.5mm patch cable and we enjoy music, spoken directions, and intercom. It's been a really good set up for us and have less than $100 invested in the GPS.

I vote for getting a Zumo. My dad repurposed a Nuvi for use on his DS650 and it mostly works. But the display isn't as bright as my 550 and with sunglasses it's difficult to see the display in the sun. Also doesn't provide bluetooth directions or routing etc, it's pretty basic. He's on a tighter budget than my so he can't spend $500 on a dedicated MC GPS, but I know he wishes he had a Zumo.

Am I missing something here?:

• Garmin has the Zumo 665LM @ $699.99 zumo 665LM @ Garmin
  • Ebay seller is hotselling the Zumo 665LM @ $769.99 Garmin Zumo 665LM Motorcycle GPS @ eBay

Why are people lining up to pay more?

Am I missing something here?:
Why are people lining up to pay more?
No idea, but when Patch308 and I bought ours, we went through CheapGPS.com, I think. they were $500 each with 5 year extended warranties. Refurbished Zumo660s. Looked like new in the box and everything was with them. They have been great. Glitchy like all Garmin products, but nothing crazy, and nothing that doesn't seem "normal" with these things. I'll buy one again when this one finally dies.

I went the tomtom route and honestly, it works fine ... It is solidly built and waterproof. It is a lot more "no frills" than the zumo. No music, no live traffic etc etc ...

But since I have kids in school and really don't like paying the gods of garmin their stratospheric prices I got the tomtom ....

A little smaller, graphics are not super nice (but workable), takes a bit of practice/patience to get familiar with but less than half the price and it does do bluetooth, accepts routes, and is waterproof. And it does get me to where I am going ...

It comes with a pretty nice mount to boot ...

If it ends up lasting a few years, Ill consider it worth it ...

I went the tomtom route and honestly, it works fine ... It is solidly built and waterproof. It is a lot more "no frills" than the zumo. No music, no live traffic etc etc ...
But since I have kids in school and really don't like paying the gods of garmin their stratospheric prices I got the tomtom ....

A little smaller, graphics are not super nice (but workable), takes a bit of practice/patience to get familiar with but less than half the price and it does do bluetooth, accepts routes, and is waterproof. And it does get me to where I am going ...

It comes with a pretty nice mount to boot ...

If it ends up lasting a few years, Ill consider it worth it ...

I believe route syncing/upload to TomTomRider is via the Type software (windows only). Do you have any experience with loading .gpx files via Tyre to the TomTom unit?

I have not done it but as I understand it, the process it to load the GPX file into tyre and simply click "send to tomtom" and it supposedly converts the file to a .itn tomtom file on the fly ...

I ll post something when I have a chance to try it ...