GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not done it but as I understand it, the process it to load the GPX file into tyre and simply click "send to tomtom" and it supposedly converts the file to a .itn tomtom file on the fly ...
I ll post something when I have a chance to try it ...

Thanks!

I vote for a Zumo for sure.

I've had a Zumo 550 since 2006 and have had two problems with it that occurred in the last year. They were remedied from information from this great forum.

1. I had to replace the touch screen, which I was able to do myself very inexpensively, by purchasing a new one on ebay and using the directions for replacement from the forum.

2. The water proof cover over a couple of the push keys on the left side of the unit finally cracked and almost fell out. A little strategic back-fill with silicone resolved that issue.

This was after about (7) years of abuse on not only the FJR, but a DRZ400S used a lot off road and the worst case scenario of a snowmobile driven on and off trail for 3k-4k+ miles a year over the same period. That thing has seen massive temperature swings of -30F to +105F and vibration and jostling that borders on insanity levels for electronics.

I'm very tempted to spend the big bucks on the new Zumo 590LM, but the 550 just keeps on ticking.
punk.gif

I have a 5" nuvi something or other in a ram aquabox. When I got my Fjr a couple months ago, it came with a zumo 550.

I tried the zumo for a trip in town and back, then I sold it for 400 bucks when I got home. It was ok but the nuvi/aquabox does what I needed, and the 400 bucks went into canyon cages front and rear.