Grip Warmers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longrider

Reaction score
The time has come. Your second oldest member needs to install some grip warmers. I now have "renosis" which means my fingers get cold for no real reason.

Ain't advancing age great!!

Yamaha does not make the heated grips for Gen I anymore. In looking at the web and this site I see many are using Hot Grips. Their web site says not to use on aluminum bars, which is what I think I have.

So, what works and what seems to work best? I really do not want to go the heated glove route, but that may be the only way.

Longrider

A proud 77 years old and wanting to ride into my 80's.

I'm satisfied with the peel and stick kind, namely Symtec or Dual Star, and they're inexpensive.

Using Vstrom hand guards helps too.

I have the A'ME grips installed and like them. Have a Throttle Meister throttle lock with them since its the only one I can find that will work with their set up.

I'm satisfied with the peel and stick kind, namely Symtec or Dual Star, and they're inexpensive.

Using Vstrom hand guards helps too.
Another vote for the Symtec and hand guards. The PO of my '09 installed them and so far, they work well with nothing negative I can see. For an alternative to the VStrom guards, these from Cycra w/o graphics work well and are easy on/off.

--G

Longrider your timing is perfect.

I just finished installing a set of Oxford Heaterz on my '04. https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4613/114/

Only one minor headache. They are pre-wired for a battery located midway on the motorcycle - so I ended up with a mile of cable zip-strapped behind the front panel (one day I'll get around to shortening them).

I've had the same ones on my Suzuki V-Strom for five years without any problems.

13.jpg

12.jpg

Longrider: I think my local Yamaha shop might a set for the Gen 1. Let me know if you are interested and I can check to see if they are still in inventory.

Cliver

Longrider: I think my local Yamaha shop might a set for the Gen 1. Let me know if you are interested and I can check to see if they are still in inventory.

Cliver
Thanks for your offer. My dealer checked with Yamaha of USA about this. Unfortunately Yamaha will not stand behind any of their parts when they are traded between dealers. The rep said they do not know if they have been opened or not. So I will explore some of the other makes.

Again thanks,

Bruce