• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Ground Spider overload harnesses

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Art, where are the install instructions?
Ed

Sorry about that I thought I emailed them. I just sent them to you in an email ,and a PM, and here's a copy.

Thanks for your order. Here's a link to install pics.

https://s886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/acooperjr/fan%20-%20light%20harness/

Note; pics 478 & 479 show the harnesses on the left side going to the outside of the overflow tank in order to stay away from header heat.

What you have is 2 fan & 2 headlight T-harnesses. They get put in line, and the grounds are taken directly to the engine (bypassing the spiders). They also run the factory ground wire to ground, which will help the spiders by giving it another ground wire.

Once you get the T-harnesses it will all make sense. You will see what the plug looks like, and you will also see what color wire is in them, because I made sure my harness wire colors are correct. The shade may be a little different ,but the color will be the same. The fan wires are blue and black. The light wires are green, yellow, black.

The headlight T-harness plugs directly to the light. You simply unplug the factory plug from the light, plug in the T-harness to the light, then plug the other end of the T-harness into the factory plug that was removed from the light.

If you follow the wires from the fan, and go fwd to the first black plug, this is what you want. You simply unplug the fan at that black plug, then plug the T-harness in. The T-harness is the same style plug, and has a male and female. So it goes in line, or in between the plug you unplug.

The ring terminals go to a bolt on the engine, 2 harnesses on each side. Once you get the right side plastic off you will see were the battery negative wire is bolted to the engine. That is were the 2 right side ring terms go. On the left side they will go to similar bolt, but on the left side (mirror image of the right side). These are the small bolts with a 10mm head that hold the crankcase together. Make sure the bolts are clean, and put a drop of oil on the threads, then they only get torque to 7 lb. ft.( NOT TOO TIGHT ).

Once you get the lower fairing off you should be able to do all 4 harnesses. The fan plugs will be there, and you can reach up from underneath to install the light harnesses.

Give the spiders a good dose of dielectric grease when you get a chance. The S4 &S6 are the main ones. The S6 is on the left side by the fan plug, so you should do it when you have the fairing off. The S4 is under the tank, left front. You should remove the metal spider connector, spray the plug with contact cleaner, insert the connector in and out several times, then apply dielectric grease, install connector, more grease then cover with the cap. This is recommended, not required.

email me if you have any questions @ [email protected]

Ride safe;

Art Cooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you all. I've been out of town. I'll be back 3/8/11.

Yes still making them. I just recieved material to do 10 bikes.

Art

No problem. Let me know how much money for a set, plus shipping to Maryland, and I'll get the money off to you. Gene

Just wanted to thank Roadrunner for the fine product. I bought two sets, and installed one on my bike and another on my brothers. Good quality, easy install (about an hour), and should take care of the problem. :yahoo:

I've had a pair of fan harnesses for several months now. I had planned to install them during the winter, but 'never got around to it'.

You can look up at the fans and see exactly where they go, it's clear how they work, and the actual installation could not be easier. That part doesn't worry me.

Frankly, I'm intimidated by the thought of pulling plastic off the bike. I did that a few times with my Ninja 250 and managed to break two tabs on that main cowling, causing me no end of problems. I guess that experience has left me a bit traumatized.

Anyway, I'm looking at the FAQ posting on removing Gen II Plastic.

My question is, to install the fan harnesses only can I start at step 6 of the FAQ instructions? Or do you pretty much have to pull all the plastic off even if you are installing only the fan harnesses?

Of course, if someone who actually knows what they are doing wrt FJR cowling removals was in the Austin area, and this hypothetical person wanted a free steak dinner, I'm sure something could be arranged.

Hey Jim

I would gladly stop by and help, but it's a little for for a free steak dinner. :lol: I am going to Wheaties camp out, and EOM so if you wanted to do it there that would be OK.

In the link you posted you only have to do steps 5,6,7. You only have to remove the lowers.

Art

Hey Jim

I would gladly stop by and help, but it's a little for for a free steak dinner. :lol: I am going to Wheaties camp out, and EOM so if you wanted to do it there that would be OK.

In the link you posted you only have to do steps 5,6,7. You only have to remove the lowers.

Art
Thanks Art, if I can't find someone competent to 'help' soon I'll try it myself.

Jim

Hey Art-

I'd like to purchase the 2 headlight and 2 fan harnesses. I do have a little prob- I'll be leaving on a 1-month tour out west the first of June, so I would need these asap. Is this possible? I don't want to put you on the spot, but if this is doable, I would greatly appreciate it. You can email me at [email protected] with a reply. Thanks in advance.

Michael Hawkins

Hey Art-

I'd like to purchase the 2 headlight and 2 fan harnesses. I do have a little prob- I'll be leaving on a 1-month tour out west the first of June, so I would need these asap. Is this possible? I don't want to put you on the spot, but if this is doable, I would greatly appreciate it. You can email me at [email protected] with a reply. Thanks in advance.

Michael Hawkins
Sent 5/9

PM sent, thanks-Trooper
Sent 5/12

I'll be away, and wont be able to ship more until 5/27

Thanks

Hello Art. I'd like to order both sets(fan & headlight). I have a pay pal acct. Do U still except that for payment? I have a suggestion to all that do this fix. After the install I'm gonna wrap each plug with dielectric rubber tape to keep moisture out. It's very pliable, sticky and will almost insure a water tight seal. Any electrical supply house should have it. Possibly Home Depot. Start at one side of the plug on the wire, wrap around entire plug to opposite side and finish on that's sides wire. You can then knead the tape so that the wrap seams almost disappear. I then wrap regular electrical tape over that.

Shipping date no prob 4 me, but I should have asked this 1st. Just bought my yamie 2 wks ago and bought the YES warranty(4 yrs). Would Yamaha consider this a modification and void my warranty? Believe I know the answer but what's the forums thinking?