GSXR1000 owners, I Need some advice.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you want another bike?
1. To ride fast & look like you are a race god ?

Get the Gixer, stop being a wuss and take a few track days and get used to the power. If you are still scared of it sell it.

2. For a sporty performance with good power, the ability to go fast when it suits, and renouned stability and handling?

Get the Feejer, get used to the power slowly, which the FJR will allow better than the Gixer, run it for a couple of years then think again whether you want a Gixer........or to upgrade on your Feejer.
You're probably right. A Gixxer would be a purely emotional purchase whereas the Feej is both that and utilitarian. THe way things look for me in the forseeable future I would only be able to enjoy a bike for a few hours at a time. I gotta admit the new 1K is by far IMO the most striking motorcycle I think I've ever seen. One thing is for sure I want my next bike to be able to give more than I am willing to take from it on a regular basis. That way I should never be disatisfied. THe Feej is in no way out of the running. I can only have one bike though. All this debate and I can't know until the test ride. Never been on either and not bothering until until I'm ready to buy.

You're probably right. A Gixxer would be a purely emotional purchase whereas the Feej is both that and utilitarian. THe way things look for me in the forseeable future I would only be able to enjoy a bike for a few hours at a time. I gotta admit the new 1K is by far IMO the most striking motorcycle I think I've ever seen. One thing is for sure I want my next bike to be able to give more than I am willing to take from it on a regular basis. That way I should never be disatisfied. THe Feej is in no way out of the running. I can only have one bike though. All this debate and I can't know until the test ride. Never been on either and not bothering until until I'm ready to buy.
Good looking? Absolutely. Most striking? Take a trip to an MV Agusta dealership.

Other than the exhaust, front forks, and color schemes, only the trained eye can tell a difference between a 600 and a 1K.

GSXR1000K8_matteBlack_000000.jpg
GSXR600K8_black_000000.jpg

If you were to get a 600 and you got to a point where it couldn't give more than you are willing to take from it on a regular basis, let me know. I have many friends in the AMA racing paddock that would be interested in your services and you won't have to worry about having to pay for bikes anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good discussion.

How many 1000cc race-replica sport-bikes are sold to anyone who really uses them at anywhere near their potential? That's really not the point -- is it? How about even bigger motors....? :huh:

Although the FJR 1300 is, pretty much, an 'old man's bike' -- it's got the 'big number thing' going for it (I'm sure the 1300 number on the side is good for quite a few sales?). But, it bears little relation to the power/size engine one needs for riding (even riding fast).

Nothing, IMO, rivals a modern sport-bike for pure adrenalin-producing thrill (esp. a 1K). If you've gotta have that? -- well then, God help you....! :blink: :unsure:

Good discussion.How many 1000cc race-replica sport-bikes are sold to anyone who really uses them at anywhere near their potential?
Is that a trick question? The answer is practically no one. Those who can come close to the potential of a 1000cc race replica sportbike doesn't buy bikes - they are professional racers and they have bikes given to them.

True.

Yet, they remain big sellers (and show-pieces) for the manufacturers.

How many off-road riders can ride a KX-450 at anywhere near its potential? Yet high-performance off-road m/cs are big sellers. There just aren't enough race tracks for all the motocrossers (for closed-circuit racing use only) sold in America.

We can't do anything about any of this..... :( :unsure:

So, basically, the average person buys 1000cc race replica bikes as a way to show off the size of their manhood. Sort of like the cliche of the Corvette driver making up for a small....

People fail to respect the power of these machines. I have a friend who wants a Ducati 1098. He's never ridden a motorcycle and it took my arm-twisting to enroll him in an upcoming MSF class. Despite the fact that I keep telling him that he's going to be in over his head (AND that an MV Agusta sales guy at the bike show stated that he wouldn't even sell one of his bikes to a new rider), my friend insists on getting the Ducati. Bottom line ... he doesn't respect the power. :headbonk:

600cc can put out alot of power. 600cc bikes can look good (see Randy's post above). So why get the 1000? Answer ... pure vanity.

Is it really worth it?

Good looking? Absolutely. Most striking? Take a trip to an MV Agusta dealership.

Other than the exhaust, front forks, and color schemes, only the trained eye can tell a difference between a 600 and a 1K.

GSXR1000K8_matteBlack_000000.jpg
GSXR600K8_black_000000.jpg

If you were to get a 600 and you got to a point where it couldn't give more than you are willing to take from it on a regular basis, let me know. I have many friends in the AMA racing paddock that would be interested in your services and you won't have to worry about having to pay for bikes anymore.
Yeah, the 600 looks just as good. At my 6'2", 32 inseam, 240 lb frame (working on that), I wonder if I'll look totally awkward on it. I haven't looked closely at them at all, having established years ago I would be most happy with a bike at least 1000CC, but if there is anyone out there my build or bigger enjoying one of these, I'll listen. Lots of homework involved in this idea of mine, more than was required for my choice in a sport tour.

Yeah, the 600 looks just as good. At my 6'2", 32 inseam, 240 lb frame (working on that), I wonder if I'll look totally awkward on it. I haven't looked closely at them at all, having established years ago I would be most happy with a bike at least 1000CC, but if there is anyone out there my build or bigger enjoying one of these, I'll listen. Lots of homework involved in this idea of mine, more than was required for my choice in a sport tour.
Your statement of 'I wonder if I'll look totally awkward on it' rather than 'I wonder if I'll be too big for it' tells me that you're more concerned about what others think rather than what you want/think, but, we've already been down that path.

That being said, this isn't like the old days where the liter bikes are much bigger in stature than the 600s. The 1000 is 2 tenths of an inch longer, 2 tenths of an inch wider, 2 tenths of an inch higher (but with the exact same seat height), and the wheel base is 6 tenths of an inch longer than the 600. I doubt you will notice much of a difference between the 2 bikes when you sit on them.

Another item to note is that the 600 and 750 also have the 3 engine settings via a switch on the bar.

Look...I couldn't care less what you do, but, I'm just talking to you like I would talk to any of my friends when they ask me what bike they should consider. So far, you haven't given me any reason to get a 1K over a 600 other than the simple fact that you want one. If that's the case, do it - you don't need our blessing. You don't have to justify your decision to anyone but yourself and anyone else you choose.

If it were my money and I was looking for a sportbike, I wouldn't hesitate to go for a GSXR750, but, that's just me.

I have them both. Previous bikes were a '99 gsxr750, '01 gsxr1k, and my current '07 gsxr 1k. My 2005 FJR is for 2-up, but my favorite solo tourer is the 1k, even for those 1000 mile days (stock). I bought it for me because I truly appreciate fine engineering and the ease of driving that the extra torque gives you. I never ride in packs, cruise around town to show off, nor have ever done a stoppie. I'm 52 and a grandpa.

If you even have a little competitive streak in you, then a 1k is not for you.

Your statement of 'I wonder if I'll look totally awkward on it' rather than 'I wonder if I'll be too big for it' tells me that you're more concerned about what others think rather than what you want/think, but, we've already been down that path.

I don't wear my clothes too small either.

I have them both. Previous bikes were a '99 gsxr750, '01 gsxr1k, and my current '07 gsxr 1k. My 2005 FJR is for 2-up, but my favorite solo tourer is the 1k, even for those 1000 mile days (stock). I bought it for me because I truly appreciate fine engineering and the ease of driving that the extra torque gives you. I never ride in packs, cruise around town to show off, nor have ever done a stoppie. I'm 52 and a grandpa.
If you even have a little competitive streak in you, then a 1k is not for you.

My thoughts are totally on parr with this. I hear those pegs are adjustable as well. You over 6 foot?

I have them both. Previous bikes were a '99 gsxr750, '01 gsxr1k, and my current '07 gsxr 1k. My 2005 FJR is for 2-up, but my favorite solo tourer is the 1k, even for those 1000 mile days (stock). I bought it for me because I truly appreciate fine engineering and the ease of driving that the extra torque gives you.
Wow. You must have a truly sensitive butt dyno. The GSXR1000 has a peak torque of 120nm. The FJR1300's is 119nm.

I think what you probably meant is that the liter gixxer has a much higher power (torque) to weight ratio. Dat would be true due to it's 200 lb weight advantage... ;)

I'm 5'9". The seat could be better, but the love of open travelling overrides the discomfort. If Corbin ever gets around to it, though, that will change.

The reason you don't wear clothes that are too small is because they don't fit. To find out if they're too small, you have to try them on. Have you tried anything on yet?

The reason you don't wear clothes that are too small is because they don't fit. To find out if they're too small, you have to try them on. Have you tried anything on yet?
A new Katana 600 is way too small. Rode one of those recently. I forgot that a CBR 600 was also kind of crampy the day I had it, but that was years ago. I haven't gotten any smaller

A new Katana 600 is way too small. Rode one of those recently. I forgot that a CBR 600 was also kind of crampy the day I had it, but that was years ago. I haven't gotten any smaller
Then you need to make your way to the Suzuki dealership and sit on these bikes. Compared to the Kan-o-tuna, the 1K seat height is 1 in higher, but, all of the other 1K dimensions are smaller.

Katana 600

Overall Length: 2140mm (84.3 in.)

Overall Width: 755mm (29.7 in.)

Overall Height: 1195mm (47.0 in.)

Seat Height: 785mm (30.9 in.)

Ground Clearance: 120mm (4.7 in.)

Wheelbase: 1470mm (57.9 in.)

Dry Weight: 208kg (458 lbs.) 210kg (462 lbs.) CA. model

GSXR1000

Overall Length: 2045mm (80.5 in)

Overall Width: 720mm (28.3 in.)

Overall Height: 1130mm (44.5 in.)

Seat Height: 810mm (31.9 in.)

Ground Clearance: 130mm (5.1 in.)

Wheelbase: 1415mm (55.7 in.)

Dry Weight: 172 kg (379 lbs.) CAL 173 kg (381lbs.)

A new Katana 600 is way too small...
If that's the case, then this whole thread may be moot. You better go sit on a GSX-R.
you beat me to it

This being the case..... consider giving up on either of these GSXR's. Neither is going to be a truly viable option if you already know the Katana is too small for you.

You need/want a big literbike for the power/fun factor, I can dig it. BTDT, and am still. :D But at 5'10", I didn't have to fold up my body on my R1 like you would have to.

So where to go from here?

You want big power.... sportbike-like handling..... to do some long solo-riding.... but you need some room to stretch out and be comfortable.

This is what you need...... and it will cost a lot LESS than either new Gixxer you were considering....

CBR1100XX_01.jpg