GSXR1000 owners, I Need some advice.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did sit on the 1000 but not on the gix 600. the 1000 felt like it could work with some helis and bringing the pegs down a half inch.

Blackbird could work. Was thinking something newer. 2003 the last year for them right? I thought I read on some problems with them though, but Honda supports their bikes a Looooooong time. Will look into it. Don't know how the bank will react on a loan for a five year+ old bike. That is, if I can find one for sale within a couple hundred miles. I have never sat on one. Hell I've never even seen one on the road that I remember. This whole GSXR thing started because I looked at it and said "wow...why not". Then I started asking for research purposes..."why not". I ask the same for the Feej.

Thanks to all on this, so far.

HOLY SH--!!! THeres a blackbird for sale 25 minutes north of me. 16k miles and $4800 at a harley dealer. Dudes. Is that a good deal or could I get him down to $4K.

Blackbird could work. Was thinking something newer. 2003 the last year for them right?
2003 was the last year Honda imported them to the USA, but they still built them and sold them worldwide until 2007.

Fantastic machine. Pity Honda pussed out on the hyperbike category. Fuckers. :angry:

I thought I read on some problems with them though
Nope. This is a rock-solid machine, as stone-reliable as you will find anywhere on the planet.

HOLY SH--!!! THeres a blackbird for sale 25 minutes north of me. 16k miles and $4800 at a harley dealer. Dudes. Is that a good deal or could I get him down to $4K.
That's a retarded question. Who cares about 800 dollars if its the right bike? People spend more than that for frikken auxiliary lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's in good condition, with only 16k miles, you aren't likely to pick up an XX much newer than a '97 or '98 (the 2 carbureted years) for only $4000. '99 through '03 are FI. Now, for the next $2500 or so that you might throw at an XX, is in good shape and is mostly stock, you pretty quickly get to real nice '01s (in red), '02s (in silver) and '03s (in metallic black). BTW, '00 is Titanium colored, and '97 -'99 are black. Nice XX w/ 16K on it that is an '00 or newer is probably a pretty good deal at $4800, right in there for a '99, negotiable for a '97 or '98. Just rough figures looking at riding season already beginning, as opposed to 3 months ago.

What I mean is that you can probably find a nice '03 with 16K or less on it for $6,000 - $6500, an '02 for a bit less than that, and so on. Truly one of the very best buys in a GT bike for the money, and as WC said -- a fantastic bike that will easily go more than 100,000 miles without any significant problems. Scenery blurring fast, smooth as glass engine (almost vibration free), overbuilt lower end, long interval valve adjustments, and great fit and finish. Buy lotsa tires for it, cause they like to eat tires.

Thanks all. I think it will be a hell of a compromise, especially on cost. It is black in the photos, but I had to run out and didn't get the details. Gonna go see it tomorrow, I think. I bet it sells fast. If it is still there, isn't gone by Monday, is extra clean, and the test ride goes well, I may just be posting pics on Tue. I don't know why I hadn't thought seriously about the thing until it was brought up here. I don't really want to go in hock for 12-13 grand anyway. MIght hit the target with this. Will let you know.

I have an 06 FJR AE and had an 05 FJR. recently acquired an 05 R1. Let me tell you that IMHO the R1 is a lot more powerful in all ways than the FJR. It is a dangerous bike to ride on the public roads at even 1/2 of its perforance capabilities. If you really want to wring out the R1, the best place to do it is in a closed environment like a race track on a road course. I suggest getting a 600 or 1K sportbike but if you want to go fast, please do it on the track. I am 67 years old and I decided to do track riding on a race course just to satisfy my desire to add one more riding experience to my biking resume. I STRONGLY recommend it to anyone as it will improve your riding skills especially if you go thru the available riders school.
Dave,, me too. 62yo and after spending 5 track days last summer on my 06 Feejer I just plunked my downpayment on a Gixxer 750

I'd take a good hard look at the ZX14. Relatively comfortable for a sportbike, handles well, brakes well, looks great IMHO, and the engine is one of the best of all. Had an 06 and loved it. Very user friendly, you can ride it mellow all day long, or set your hair on fire. Add a set of soft bags and you have a great weekend tourer, and Corbin makes a set of hard bags for about $2K.

Kill the thread. I bought a CBR600RR 2007 vintage.

A new Katana 600 is way too small. Rode one of those recently. I forgot that a CBR 600 was also kind of crampy the day I had it, but that was years ago. I haven't gotten any smaller
This being the case..... consider giving up on either of these GSXR's. Neither is going to be a truly viable option if you already know the Katana is too small for you.

You need/want a big literbike for the power/fun factor, I can dig it. BTDT, and am still. :D But at 5'10", I didn't have to fold up my body on my R1 like you would have to.

So where to go from here?

You want big power.... sportbike-like handling..... to do some long solo-riding.... but you need some room to stretch out and be comfortable.

This is what you need...... and it will cost a lot LESS than either new Gixxer you were considering....

CBR1100XX_01.jpg

If only honda still made cool bikes like that

A new Katana 600 is way too small. Rode one of those recently. I forgot that a CBR 600 was also kind of crampy the day I had it, but that was years ago. I haven't gotten any smaller
This being the case..... consider giving up on either of these GSXR's. Neither is going to be a truly viable option if you already know the Katana is too small for you.

You need/want a big literbike for the power/fun factor, I can dig it. BTDT, and am still. :D But at 5'10", I didn't have to fold up my body on my R1 like you would have to.

So where to go from here?

You want big power.... sportbike-like handling..... to do some long solo-riding.... but you need some room to stretch out and be comfortable.

This is what you need...... and it will cost a lot LESS than either new Gixxer you were considering....

CBR1100XX_01.jpg

If only honda still made cool bikes like that
I was out running in the mountains today with my Ole Foggie Rider buddy and he wanted me to ride his new Suzuki Bandit 1250. I was really impressed with its torque, 6 speed tranny and let me tell you it really handles smoothly and feels a lot like my R1 in handling/weight and cornering. Very quick and stable in the heavy mountain twisties.. The sitting is more upright and it has conventional handlebars and a small fairing with a small windscreen. It reminds me a lot of the Yamaha FZ-1. My buddy looked at an FZ 1 and selected the Bandit as it was about $1K less expensive than FZ.

Not a true sport bike like a Hayabusa or R1 but is less covered with plastic like the FJR, ST or other sport touring bikes.

I've had my Blackbird for a month now. I wish I would have bought one 5 years ago. Best bike I've ever owned - and I liked my '02 BMW R1150RT quite a little bit. :) The XX is smooth, powerful, and comfortable. Too bad Honda pussed out.

I wonder - after the worries of comfort, fit, etc. - Honzo, what made you decide on the CBR600RR? Seems the CBR1100XX would have really fit the bill for you. What made you pull the trigger on that bike after all the agonizing over a literbike?

I've had my Blackbird for a month now. I wish I would have bought one 5 years ago. Best bike I've ever owned - and I liked my '02 BMW R1150RT quite a little bit. :) The XX is smooth, powerful, and comfortable. Too bad Honda pussed out.
I wonder - after the worries of comfort, fit, etc. - Honzo, what made you decide on the CBR600RR? Seems the CBR1100XX would have really fit the bill for you. What made you pull the trigger on that bike after all the agonizing over a literbike?
Clearly he's a squid.

;)

JK, he made a very good post the other day that changed my mind about him entirely. Not sure why he went the squidly way...

PS - I'll continue looking for a super clean XX (for a rockin deal) in the eastern states to add to my stable.

Clearly he's a squid.
;)

JK, he made a very good post the other day that changed my mind about him entirely. Not sure why he went the squidly way...

PS - I'll continue looking for a super clean XX (for a rockin deal) in the eastern states to add to my stable.
Yeah, reading some of the posts sure gave that impression. But ... to each their own. I want a Corvette, so I'm sure everybody will assume I'm having my midlife crisis when I get it (I'm 33) :)

I want a Corvette, so I'm sure everybody will assume I'm having my midlife crisis when I get it (I'm 33) :)
Ha! If 33 is "midlife" I better get riding since I only have 13 years left. :angry:

:p My wife says it's not midlife, I'm just reliving my adolescent fantasy, and this time - I can afford the insurance! ROFL