hair spray or glue?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heated grips. Trying to put on the grip puppies with soapy water was a pain in the ass. So I rubbed some olive oil on the grips and they slipped on within seconds. Within 48 hours the oil had dried up and the grips were stable.

- rubbing alcohol ... hmmm what does that do diff than soapy water?
Doesn't leave a residue. A residue that is obviously soap and therefore not particularly grippy. Rubbing alcohol is my preferred method.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used grip glue on the left and nothing on the right. The G2 will hold the grip in place. I just returned from a thousand mile trip, lots of curves, with no problems, but I am not sure I like the BMW sport grips better than stock and may put the stock grips back on.
Jer

I used grip glue on the left and nothing on the right. The G2 will hold the grip in place. I just returned from a thousand mile trip, lots of curves, with no problems, but I am not sure I like the BMW sport grips better than stock and may put the stock grips back on.

Jer

Jer

Can you hear me now?

Jer

Jer

Jer

Can you hear me now?
At least it was just one post and not three seperate.

I have searched, but can't find a authoritative answer to this ...
I am installing the G2 throttle cam w/ BMW sport grips. Then vista cruise. Going to EOM and want to try this out. I will do the shifting out of R/L to avoid the gap per Warchild's page.

I was thinking of using soap water to install the BMW grips on the G2, but then again I feel that the grip might rotate on throttle back/forth. The G2 has a knurled outer center surface ... is that enough to prevent a rotation?

Or did you use hair spray inside the grips or glued them on?

If glue, which kind?
Use compressed air if you have it, to remove FJR grips, then use hairspray to install new ones. hairspray works great when it's wet as it acts as a lubricant, then when the alcohol evaporates it becomes glue, works perfect. G2 is great idea but consider breakaway cruise far superior to Vistas, read about both and see the difference. The breakaway cruise is also beautifully made looks like an OEM Yamaha part once installed and works great plus the breakaway feature is a must.

I've used golf grip tape in the past. Worked great when replacing the grips on my VTX. 4 years plus and no slippage

I am not putting down $200+ for a manual cruise. I would rather put on a audiovox!

Use compressed air if you have it, to remove FJR grips, then use hairspray to install new ones. hairspray works great when it's wet as it acts as a lubricant, then when the alcohol evaporates it becomes glue, works perfect. G2 is great idea but consider breakaway cruise far superior to Vistas, read about both and see the difference. The breakaway cruise is also beautifully made looks like an OEM Yamaha part once installed and works great plus the breakaway feature is a must.

ok. here's a partial report (no piccies yet). Going to EOM, so don't have time to do a perfect job.

- Removed old cam + stock grips

- Installed G2 + BMW grips (put them on w/ soapy water, as I didn't have hairspray ..., will deal with that later)

- Put the transparent plastic thin spacer between grip edge and cam (it has a radial cut so it was installed after the grip was on by spreading at cut)

- Installed Vista Cruise in the gap (about 1 cm? I haven't figured out how to reduce the gap with the G2 + BMW - BMW grips are shorter in length. Looked at Warchild's post on fjrtech, but it doesn't say "how")

- The gap is larger now (used to be 3-4mm), so the VC has much lateral play now. (even though it's screwed into throttle cable body, but that's the only anchor point)

- Finally installed 1lb (each) HVMP bar end weights. Come to think of it I haven't noticed vibe reduction, but LD ride will tell.

Results?

- G2 is excellent :yahoo: good throttle control at low speeds (1/8 turn is where the problem was). Smoother throttle action, feels lighter. Will try LD to see if the throttle snap back (spring) is still a problem, so I will hold off on releasing middle spring.

- VC works much better now, not sure why though. It doesn't release on it's own as it used to ... (EDIT: hmmm, maybe it doesn't slip because the alum body has more friction compared to smooth stock plastic ...)

Bottom line, this was worth the half-assed effort because I am not afraid of abrupt throttle response and a silly tip over :dribble:

Now the ugly part. I don't have access to compressed air right now, so haven't replaced the left grip :unsure: , it's still stock w/ puppies.

On the throttle side, I don't think there is a need for puppies anymore - I like the feel of the grip - rubbery and ergo.

Now off to EOM tomorrow AM :clapping:

A lot of us dirt bikers use what we refer to as gorilla snot, due to it's yellow snotty consistency. Also known as weather strip adhesive. Can be purchased at any auto parts store, it's cheap, plentiful, and waterproof. Stuff's made to glue rubber to metal. I think grip glue is the same stuff in a smaller, way more expensive package.