half face helmet ran over

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However, he's also lived through some pretty traumatic stuff which...if you look back through his posts you'll see that he's lived through some stuff that you wouldn't want to go through.
I don't see how this translates into Zork not properly securing his "helmet", but whatever.

(These traumatic and life-altering events do seem to have had some impact on his ability to spell and use punctuation.) :dntknw:

Continue the dogpile as you feel led...but know that real people live behind the screen names.
People live behind screen names and die without helmets.

So, Zork, what other sort of gear / protective riding apparel do you normally sport along w/ that unfastened helmet of yours?

Maybe some kangaroo leather shorts, or a Kevlar wife-beater? BTW, is it Oxtar or Sidi that recently started makin' flip-flops?

Last edited by a moderator:
hit me if you want its ok .And the helmet was run over by the car not hit . And is it possible after riding since i was 15 maybe 1 time iforgot to tighting the strap . And it dont make you and ass to wear a half helmet on any bike . Thanks alot WHEATON FJR

Not like anyone here has a STRONG opinion....

Don't confuse what is required with what is needed would be my advice. Half face helmets meet the requirements of the law, but do not afford sufficient protection.

As for your helmet being a road hazard once it hit the ground, I totally disagree; you would be liable under the “failure to secure your load” concept, should your helmet have caused any property damage to someone else or their property.

Consider this a wake up call or get out of jail free card and go buy yourself a good full face helmet.

Hey Zork,

Yeah, ...so ya got dogpiled. I'm gonna refrain from participation [as tempting as it might be, 'cause I'm new enuf around here that I haven't had the opportunity to JUMP in on one yet!].

As I read this thread I was ginnin' up something really snappy to say, but by the time got to the end I'd gotten down to the gritty behind the nitty. So I will just summarize as briefly & succinctly as I can:

By way of all the ribbin' you've just endured, what you've actually rec'd is a pretty healthy helping of concern & wishes for your continued well being from a bunch of guys who consider themselves to be your bretheren on the tarmac, in more than just the general sense. Please Pal, put a quality hat on that noggin would ya! We'd like you to be around for a few more Forum Hoorahs!

...Got a $5 head, go ahead wear a $5 helmet! [Couldn't resist just a little poke.]

Was on a 2 lane road and was passing 5 cars got her up to about 95 woosh , I feel wind in my hair lost my helmet .Pull over turn around about 1/4 mile back there is a guy in a accord waiting for me he says i ran over your helmet hope the helmet did not do any damage to the underside of my car (CAN YOU BELIVE THIS GUY ) And he starts looking under his car . Who knows how far the helmet was moving down the road before it got ran over. It was intact with some major scrapes but it was good to go . My thoughts were after it flew off my head no helmet to ride home with because it would be in 15 pieces . And who said half helmets suck . It was d.o.t snell .Dont break my balls about my penmenship .

Helmets are like Lap Top Computers. They are one drop from the trash. It is recommended that you invest in a new helmet if it has been dropped...especially one that has been ran over.

Just a recommendation

throw the helmet out and buy a new one. Even though you only see minor dings on the outer shell, doesn't mean the impact absorbing layer underneath is not cracked. In fact, I think the absorbing layer is cracked so the hemt now is useless.

Personally I prefer a full face helmet but any helmet is better than no helmet. Some times I wonder if we are any different than Harley riders.... the our way is the is only way syndrome.

Personally I prefer a full face helmet but any helmet is better than no helmet. Some times I wonder if we are any different than Harley riders.... the our way is the is only way syndrome.
Yep, well said! I ride with a number of different types of riders (bikes, dress, helmets, etc.). The "what" they wear and "how" they dress is a non-issue compared to enjoying our bikes and the rides'

Do I wish they'd choose ATGATT? Absolutely! They are aware of my 2 major "get-offs" and how the gear saved my life, but still opt to wear different style clothing (beanie helmet or 3/4 helmet). I've ridden with a couple of FJR owners who wear a 3/4 helmet and leather vest. Would that be my choice? Not really!

Zorkler, I understand your freedom of choice. I remember the days of my past wearing a 3/4 helmet (there were no full face) and leather gloves with my de riguer Levis and T-shirt. That's why I wear mesh clothing today. I want to "feel" the wind and temp changes, etc. Its part of the riding experience.

Zork, my friend, take all of the above posts with the intent I believe they were sent....the others would like to see you better protect yourself as that's the option they've chosen. Everyone has enjoyed their participation on this thread and tried to do so with a bit of levity..er..jocularity..uhm..humor (though a bit "backhanded").

Toss that helmet, or hang it on the garage wall as a reminder, because its effectiveness is severely diminished (even from just hitting the ground and "flexing"). IMO it is just a piece of artwork, suitable for framing. YMMV.

And for the record: I've forgotten to "hook" my chinstrap. I've had to pull off a freeway ramp and "buckle" it. It occaisionally happens to some of us.......

Zork my friend...here is another helpful thread....clicky.

Use the feedback from your fellow FJR riders in this thread as a call to do something that may save yer life. Nothing wrong in that is there?

Use this opportunity to get yerself a full face. Or at the minimum...a flip up. As you can see from the linked thread...many strikes are in the FACE area. I think many of us would all be proud that you made this choice, and would congratulate you on your purchase. :clapping:

hit me if you want its ok .And the helmet was run over by the car not hit . And is it possible after riding since i was 15 maybe 1 time iforgot to tighting the strap . And it dont make you and ass to wear a half helmet on any bike . Thanks alot WHEATON FJR
Ok its true, i have made it home only to find my chin strap haning loose

I do hope you get a full face, but half helmet is better than no helmet.

The main thing I hope you get out of this ribbing is to replace your current helmet. I can't find the post, but I recall a post in which someone fell off a bike and hit the helmet. It was not a very hard impact, and the helmet looked intact. When the helmet was taken apart, it was discovered that the foam was cracked and the helmet was far more damaged than it appeared.

Protect that melon, or you won't be typing any posts for us to dogpile in the future! ;)

I can't find the post, but I recall a post in which someone fell off a bike and hit the helmet. It was not a very hard impact, and the helmet looked intact. When the helmet was taken apart, it was discovered that the foam was cracked and the helmet was far more damaged than it appeared.
I think that's the post by Kaitsdad, when Jeanette was riding pillion and tripped getting off the bike. She fell and hit her head on the "island" of the gas station.

Clickity-click!

I just started using the half helmet 5 years ago before thet was full face all the way . When i put on the half it was a much more open feel to the whole bike thing . Like night and day .And yes wearing a half helmet the risk to reward is like night and day . Looks like i am going to clean off the old arai . You should try wearing one for 45 minutes just to get the feel .

Zork. Don't let the ATGATT zealots get you down. A half helmet does have a sweet feel to it. I used to wear one for short trips in the summer.

Some folks will lecture you that just riding a bike makes you unsafe and dumb, so what are you gonna do? You got to call it like you see it.

I just started using the half helmet 5 years ago before thet was full face all the way . When i put on the half it was a much more open feel to the whole bike thing . Like night and day .And yes wearing a half helmet the risk to reward is like night and day . Looks like i am going to clean off the old arai . You should try wearing one for 45 minutes just to get the feel .
Zork, I'm sorry I thought you were a troll, I should have looked closer at your number of posts and recent ones before I ASSumed. But I'm glad you hear the concern from us.

I went from a RF1000 many many years ago to no riding, to half helmets when I started riding again. I LOVED the feeling of wind in my face. After a getoff, the half helmet saved my noggin, but from the road rash on my arm and hand (still have a small scar), I knew I was lucky it wasn't on my face. So on to flip-ups which have served me well for a few years. But with further research and knowlege gained I'm going back to a full-face because I ride too hard and too often on this bike and it just plain makes sense. So I have to re-learn dealing with the tight fit, feeling of claustraphobia (initially I hope) and pain of getting my glasses on.....

I'm glad you appear to have taken the posts the way they were meant.

Half helmet on an FJR? On a Cruiser ok, but ya must look like a dork in that getup :dribble:
I don't believe any further explanation is needed.

:jester:
Not to take away form all the fun, but around these parts it has been a fad/trend to wear those nazi helmet looking half helmets on sport bikes. Does look a little dorky. The mirror polished ones seem to be the preference. :glare:

Natural selection......................

I had replied in a thread (the stupid trick biker on highways) yesterday about freedoms being messed up by idiots who cause laws to be passed that only effect the law abiding population, so I don't want to be a hypocrite. I do support his right to choose any type of helmet or even no helmet, but I know what stats point to and what I feel comfy with.

Although a half helmet is not as protective as a 3/4 or full, it is better than no helmet. I just spent a week vacationing in South Carolina and I cringed every time I saw a sport biker go past, sometimes with a pillion, with no helmet. We each individually choose how much protection to wear the same way we choose how much insurance we buy or how often we change our oil.

Although I always wear ATGATT now, there was a time in my teens and early twenties when I didn't wear a full face helmet and ballistics. I find it hard to believe that all the people who had the balls to post some seriously pompous ATGATT attitudes have ridden their entire careers dressed in full gear. Who's next under the dogpile, the guy who wears a full face helmet and jeans? If you have ever ridden down the street without your helmet to "test" your bike, your no better than the Zorkler. I also doubt that the "majority" of people on this forum are ATGATT folks. They just happen to be the most vocal.....Its not really clear to me when concern for another persons well being turned into ripping him a new asshole on this forum. I must have missed that memo. <_<