Hand gets numb

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollywoodgt

Reaction score
For some reason my fingers and hands fall a sleep. Shake them off or put the cruise on for a bit and they come back. Normally on my Ultra I don't have this problem. I was thinking that it maybe my riding position and I'm maybe leaning to far forward could be the issue. I have grip puppies and handle bar ends already

I was wondering if there are any favorite risers for the FJR. I read that the company from Germany makes one and installation is pretty easy with no drilling or modifications. I don't believe the stem ball mount would be an issue.

Any imput from u seasoned veterans would be much appreciated

Gen II 2010

The MV riser plate has already a ball mount on.
smile.png
It don't fit with the stem ball mount.

Have a read in this helpful thread in all the pages..:https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/146408-my-impressions-of-the-mv-motorrad-bar-riser/

T2eC16dHJFwFFZsmK2lBSvbqshWQ60_57_zps4240a592.jpg

KGrHqVHJCEFJKy9ScGpBSvbv5ZYQ60_57_zps700c85bf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A few different things can cutoff the circulation in your hands making them go numb:

The first is by supporting too much of your body weight on your arms during riding. This puts pressure on your hands and, especially when your wrists are bent (dorsiflexed) the added pressure will restrict blood flow.

There are a couple of ways to mitigate this: The easiest fix (but most expensive) is to get bar risers that make you sit up straighter so you will not have as much of your torso weight leaning on the bars. Everyone's anatomical dimensions are different, so what height is the right height for you is mostly a matter of trying different positions.

Another change you can make is to have your wrists cocked less while riding. If you start out by grabbing the bars with your wrist in a neutral (straight) position, the left wrist will be fine, but as you open the throttle your right wrist will dorsiflex. Try re-gripping the right bar so that your wrist is a straight as possible while actually riding down the road.

The most effective change of all will be to use your (much stronger) legs and abdominal muscles to support your upper body weight instead of your arms. You'll want to learn to position the balls of your feet on the footpegs (not the arches) and use your legs and feet pushing on the pegs to hold your torso up, instead of pushing against the bars with your arms. This is a tough change to make for most riders who have already become used to pushing up and back with their arms.

The other major contributor to hand numbness is from gripping the handlebars too tightly. You really do not need to grip the bars all that much during normal cruising. You can just rest your hands on the handlebars, with your fingers naturally draped and curved around the grips, with no "gripping force" exerted at all and still have perfectly safe control of the bike. You control the steering by pushing on one side or the other, not by pulling on the bars, so you do not really need to grip the bars for steering.

The stock position of the throttle spring creates too much closing force, which does require you to grip the right hand to keep it open, so you'll want to release the throttle spring one turn to make the spring rate softer. Just the weight of your hand should be able to maintain the throttle open after the spring unwind.

Many folks use a clamp on throttle lever (wrist rest, cramp buster, etc.) which can reduce the need to grip the throttle side even further. Once you get used to them being there, and using them, they become very comfortable. But many people have problems getting used to the flap being there and end up bumping it or catching it with a sleeve or something at an inopportune moment. I've used one so long now I never even think twice about it being there anymore. But it does take some getting used to.

Hope that helps

I've added bar risers to bring them up about 1" and back a little bit as well. I've also added heavier bar end weights to dampen vibration better and did a TBS to make sure the engine is running as smoothly as possible.

Adding my 2 cents to the posture/position notes..... Don't lean forward in your back, but instead roll your hips forward and keep your back straight. That will naturally transfer your upper body weight to your legs. My "test" for myself is to let go of the bars for a moment..... if you have to shift your weight to do so, then your riding position isn't quite right.

To add to posture checks, you should be able to loosely flap your elbows about whilst riding. If you can't, you have too much pressure on your arms.

Another circulation "cutter-offer" can be the jacket under your arm-pits. Less likely in warmer weather when you have fewer layers, but something to be aware of.

For some reason my fingers and hands fall a sleep. Shake them off or put the cruise on for a bit and they come back. Normally on my Ultra I don't have this problem. I was thinking that it maybe my riding position and I'm maybe leaning to far forward could be the issue. I have grip puppies and handle bar ends already
I was wondering if there are any favorite risers for the FJR. I read that the company from Germany makes one and installation is pretty easy with no drilling or modifications. I don't believe the stem ball mount would be an issue.

Any imput from u seasoned veterans would be much appreciated

Gen II 2010
Hey Jeff!

For your numbness (which is coming from the "hi-vibe" or high buzz as some call it here.... there is a cure! ...but it will cost you ;)

Take that K16GT test drive buddy. Smooth as silk, no vibes at any speeds, no numbness period. 'Nuff said :)

. I did a TB, install a Heli, use Grip Puppies and put rubber rings around the handlebars, waited to get more miles on it (per suggestion of some owners) and now there is hardly any vibration

. I did a TB, install a Heli, use Grip Puppies and put rubber rings around the handlebars, waited to get more miles on it (per suggestion of some owners) and now there is hardly any vibration
Welcome FJRat!Glad that the most of your problem has solved
smile.png

I had the same issue with my 05. It would only take 1/2 hr of riding. I installed mv risers yesterday and rode today for about an hour or so. I didn't have any issues today. Going on a long ride tomorrow so I will see how it goes. I really like the mv stuff is I can adjust the angle as well as having the bars higher and closer.

One thing I've noticed is that certain pairs of gloves I wear have a seam that runs under my thumb at just the wrong spot on the big joint and seems push on a nerve (right hand only). Even with my MV riser I can get lazy and lean too much on my hands at times which I've found to be the root cause.

Don't buy in to any of that vibration bullshit causing hand numbness. The problem is in the hand itself

hwkb17_032_001.jpg

If you put ANY of your weight on your hands while riding, you're putting your weight directly on your ulnar nerve, median nerve and radial nerve. And if just a few minutes, your hand goes numb. And the problem will always be worse with the throttle hand since you have grip, squeeze and turn it.

The only way to prevent it is to get your weight off your hands and that means getting the bars up and back towards you with a riser device, of which there are many to chose from.

I'm surprised that Fred didn't mention his totally unauthorized throttle body sync procedure. That is the one where the air bypass screws are temporarily closed off and the throttle butterflies are adjusted at approx. 3500rpm to sync the volume of airflow. Once balanced then the airscrews are initially opened up 3/4 turn and then balanced at idle. This will smooth out your bike's vibrations for the engine speeds you will mostly run in. Chances are that your 4 year old bike would benefit from that procedure. My '06 sure did.

The other thing I would suggest is installing an electronic cruise control system. This will allow you to travel vast distances without having to keep that throttle twisted. Your right hand can now be as relaxed as your left one. You may even experiment with piloting your bike by body english instead of your hands. I ride a lot with my hands on my fuel tank. It helps keep me focused on the road and plan my next moves.

Have fun with your bike and don't be afraid to modify things to make it fit you more comfortably.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

Lots of Band-Aids (and I tried all mentioned here) but the root of the vibration is still the engine and mounting there of. There's no real cure until a re-design comes out. Is it a flaw? No, not really, I've rode several bikes with more vibration, several with less.

I still say you get use to it Jeff (or not as I could not) ...but I'm probably way more fussier than most!
wink.png

When hands get numb and they will at times, I squeeze the handle bar with my thumb and forefinger.

Perhaps it helps blood flow, I don't know, but it works, for me.

Yes I have helibars, I arch my back to take weight off hands but I do NOT diddle with goats.

Hope this helps.

Put the vibrator in yer pocket or up yer arse instead of holding it in yer hand while driving Jeff..

Driving around the windy is dangerous enough with two hands..

finger.gif

Howies post reminds me... I had numbness and carpel release solved in.

We put on 430kms today. The issue I had with my left hand is totally gone. My left hand was acting up a little and I found the bar was slightly in more then the other. So I adjusted it when I got home and with try it again. Very happy with the mv risers.